Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Checked off another grail kit:

61_tempest_3.thumb.jpg.f4db048ccb92b0ece

61_tempest_2.thumb.jpg.034d544f68eabfa01

Paid nearly retail but it was worth it to get an unpainted, unmolested example.

(And Mr. Obsessive, you'll be proud to know the FIRST thing I'll do to it is to fix those overly thick, crooked window frames! tango_face_grin.thumb.png.23788d8f1cb865)

Also picked up a Revell '62 Plymouth dashboard - for Mopar fans, the plain Revell dash is correct for a Savoy conversion (the reissue Jo-Han '62 uses a '63 dash, and the original issue dash was trimmed and padded for a Fury), and an unbuilt engine from a '66 AMC Marlin - this will either be converted to a Gray Marine engine for the Century Coronado boat or I'll just put it in the '59 Rambler wagon.

Flea Market Day!  Couldn't find any car kits, so I bought an arsenal.  I've been trying to find some of these for years, especially a Luger kit.  And eBay prices for these kits give me sticker shock, so I'm very happy.  I bought all these together as a lot, for a very reasonable price.

The Academy kits are re-pops of the old LS 1:1 scale gun kits.  The one in the lower right is a Crown re-pop of the LS Model 28 Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum Calif. Highway Patrol. 

guns.JPG

I'd love to have one of those S&W model 29 revolvers. I am truly, truly envious.

Absolutely fabulous! I only have two of these, a P.38 and a Smith 29, and wish I'd bought more when they were available. (Should have bought a Luger at a yard sale a couple years ago, but waited too long.) If you're interested in trading off any of these, let me know. Would especially like to have the 4" Highway Patrolman, as I have a real one.

I bought my P.38 in 1972 or so, and it cost $4.95, which was a LOT of money for a plastic model kit of any kind in those days. (Car kits were still $2, and it was only exotic imported airplane kits that sold for $5 or more.) The next time I saw them was in the late '70s, by which time the average price on them was somewhere around $30.  

I had the Colt Python and P-08, and loved them both. I really wanted an old cowboy six shooter, but never got around to grabbing one. They also did grenades and rifles in the series.

I bought some kits in a live Facebook auction group Saturday, and since the seller didn't live too far from me I asked if I could pick them up. He said that was fine and that I could look through everything else he had for sale, and it's a good thing I took extra money! :lol: The first 5 are the auction wins, the second is everything else that followed me home, including the tote in the third pic that is nothing but assorted semi parts that I'll have to organize and at least three bagged trailer kits that appear to be complete. 

20861624_1547008185362506_74255266547518

20748287_1547008375362487_84763440921708

20770140_1547008565362468_42541750032521

I bought some kits in a live Facebook auction group Saturday...

Admiring that Kenworth, I see it's in an IMAI box.  Never seen one of those before.  Is that a straight reissue of somebody else's kit, or an IMAI original?  And you got the Monogram Chevy Sport Truck with the gun rack, a great find!

Everybody's had some great finds lately, like that neat Tempest.  I love seeing these discoveries, keep up the good work! 

I recently stopped at a local Anteek/Junque shop that had a few old kits. All had been built and painted (badly) with missing parts, instructions, decals etc.  And they were pretty common older reissues, like the Monogram 30 Ford Woody and AMT-ERTL 40 Coupe.  Thought I might pick them up just for parts, but no way.  They were priced at $20 each and the shop owner wouldn't budge.  He also tried the sales pitch I hear all the time at flea markets - "They go for way more that that on eBay!" Maybe on Alternate Universe eBay. No thanks.

"They go for way more that that on eBay!" 

Gotta love eBay for that. Same theory as the BJ or Mecum Auctions. People see the stupid prices that people pay and think that their garbage is worth a fortune. Sad thing is, there is some justification behind the reasoning. Someone will always step up and pay. Someone with more Dollars than Cents (read: sense)

Nice finds Guys, by the way. Love that Tempest.

Great job on saving Harry's Jag Scott.

Later-

Nice finds Matthew...!

Thanks Mark!

Admiring that Kenworth, I see it's in an IMAI box.  Never seen one of those before.  Is that a straight reissue of somebody else's kit, or an IMAI original?  And you got the Monogram Chevy Sport Truck with the gun rack, a great find!

I never had seen it either Mike. I'm not really sure, but seeing as how it is a 1/28th scale (the reason I got the Testors trailer to go with it) and definitely a Japanese kit with instructions mostly in Japanese and the early Japanese kit features like an option to motorize it, I would guess it may be an IMAI original. It also has the options to light it as well. 

Thanks for pointing out the gun rack in the Chevy, I honestly didn't even notice that, I just wanted a 4x4 Stepside again! :lol:

I never had seen it either Mike...I would guess it may be an IMAI original. It also has the options to light it as well. 

Thanks.  A quick look on eBay turned up a few, with the search "Imai 1/28."  Here's a Ford CL9000.  I put in the auction link because it has detailed photos of the parts and instruction sheet:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-CL9000-TRUCK-1-28-IMAI-MODEL-KIT-/262759223788?hash=item3d2dab91ec:g:mfsAAOSw4GVYNZXP

imai-ford.jpg

I recently picked up a couple of Corvette kits. I'm not a big Corvette fan, but I really like the yellow and black '59 Vette that is on FantomWorks and I've also been watching some old Route 66 episodes. I got each of these delivered to the front door for $10 each. Can't go wrong for ten bucks, I guess.

59vette-vi.png

60vette-vi.png

Amazon delivered a 36" stick of the stainless steel hypodermic tubing material for making antennas yesterday.  A 21 gauge piece of metal 36" long came in a box that was 6" on a side and 5' long.  Before I opened the box I thought maybe they saw quantity and made 100.

Amazon delivered a 36" stick of the stainless steel hypodermic tubing material for making antennas yesterday.  A 21 gauge piece of metal 36" long came in a box that was 6" on a side and 5' long.  Before I opened the box I thought maybe they saw quantity and made 100.

Amazon must have some weird packaging agreement with the carriers. I got a single 1/2 oz jar of embossing powder from Amazon that came loose in a 14"x12"x4" box.

I got mine yesterday as well.

Came in the same box! :)

I guess, with a 3 foot long piece of 22 gauge tubing, it's difficult to ship without damage.

The last time I ordered some, it came in one of those heavy cardboard tubes.

Steve

A couple new additions to the pile.

Johan 1959 Cadillac builtup

s-l1600.jpg

And an original / only issue MPC 1966 GTO convertible builtup. Been keeping an eye out for each of these for a while now. But I had a budget and stuck to it ( under $50 ea )

s-l1600.jpg

Amazon must have some weird packaging agreement with the carriers. I got a single 1/2 oz jar of embossing powder from Amazon that came loose in a 14"x12"x4" box.

I got a box that size from Amazon the other day with a single pair of toenail clippers.   It was odd, I'd ordered 3 items from them at the same time, but they came in separate boxes.   

I got mine yesterday as well.

Came in the same box! :)

I guess, with a 3 foot long piece of 22 gauge tubing, it's difficult to ship without damage.

The last time I ordered some, it came in one of those heavy cardboard tubes.

Steve

I just ordered some of that tube too, trying some 21, 26 ant 27 gage to use with the insect pins I have. This thread made me check the antenna on a TR4A build I'm doing ... I never looked at modeling the antenna. It's the longest antenna I ever saw, don't remember that from back when.

All the ideas presented in this thread will make the antenna a model in it's own, as it should be!  :)

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...