Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Couple of '59 Buick built-ups, one to restore and one to build something inspired by Daryl Starbird's version...

Image result for darryl starbird '59 buick

The headlights always seemed confused weather to stay flat or tilt ... maybe the front bumper ends need to go up to follow the fender edge chrome and just tilt to match

Picked this up at the local second hand store in town, very happy... 

Great haul, especially those Revell oldies!  Those stores are great. I live in a small town, but it has 6 second-hand stores: Goodwill, Salvation Army and 4 stores run by local charities.  On weekends, carloads of people drive here from several hundred miles away just to visit those stores.

Many years ago in a Los Angeles second-hand store, I saw a mint-condition SMP '59 Chevy box behind the cash register.  It was only missing a few parts, one of them being...the body! It still had the chassis, separate hardtop, instructions and some Kustomizing parts. I paid $1 for it. Later traded it to a friend who was restoring a built-up. Maybe I should have kept the box - one online vendor is asking $45 for the empty box alone.

Edited by Mike999
Error

A bittersweet gift you might say,My best friend Ed from alllllllllllllllllll the way back from high school days (Class of '81) gave me these that his mom and him found from his dad Roy in his stash,Roy passed away last month and he will be missed for sure by his wife and his son Ed but also by me as well,Roy was a true car guy and model/promo collector and when he would tell you about his street racing days with his '57 Olds J2 you could picture it perfect in your head as he told it because he told with such great detail.....Now Ed didn't want these as he is strictly a promo/die-cast collector and he know how much I love plastic so he and his mom bundled up what they have found and gave them to me and they are all complete except for the Galaxie,it's missing front and rear bumpers and tail lamps because Roy gave those to ED to re-do his Galaxie promo.....Roy I know you are in a better place and you probably got that ol' '57 olds tearing up the golden streets up there and I will cherish these kits!

Resized_20170905_221720.jpeg

A bittersweet gift you might say,My best friend Ed from alllllllllllllllllll the way back from high school days (Class of '81) gave me these that his mom and him found from his dad Roy in his stash,Roy passed away last month and he will be missed for sure by his wife and his son Ed but also by me as well,Roy was a true car guy and model/promo collector and when he would tell you about his street racing days with his '57 Olds J2 you could picture it perfect in your head as he told it because he told with such great detail.....Now Ed didn't want these as he is strictly a promo/die-cast collector and he know how much I love plastic so he and his mom bundled up what they have found and gave them to me and they are all complete except for the Galaxie,it's missing front and rear bumpers and tail lamps because Roy gave those to ED to re-do his Galaxie promo.....Roy I know you are in a better place and you probably got that ol' '57 olds tearing up the golden streets up there and I will cherish these kits!

Resized_20170905_221720.jpeg

Sorry for your loss....things like those are priceless.

That's why I've always thought the 1960 was a vast improvement 

I like both the '59 and the '60. The canted-quad headlights on the '59 are part of its unique appeal, but when Starbird elected to change them to horizontal, the large empty area that resulted just above them never looked right to me. Too flat-faced, reminds me of a whale somehow. The photoshopped rework done by Mr. Brame, above, raises the horizontally-paired lights just enough to get rid of the slightly awkward look of Starbird's version (which I've always liked immensely anyway) but is still instantly recognizable as a '59. I'm still on the fence as to whether I'll build it with the original canted quads, or do something more like Mr. Brame's work.

I guess I'm a bit biased....   The 1960 I owned for a long time.  I kept it warm and dry but never got to finishing it.   I sold it in the great car purge when I moved to PA.  The plan was to take that money and invest it into the Barracuda.  Instead I invested it in one college semester for my daughter!  It was a huge beast that spanned the entire length of the garage.

tom 12 21 08 022

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...