Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

1 hour ago, Scott8950 said:

if i build it I'll probably build a different chassis for it. im not crazy about that chassis with that car. i think it needs to be pro street 

I bought one of those as a glue bomb last year. I don't like it as a '70s funny, either. I'm gonna put an injected engine in it as an Altered, or maybe bracket racer. 

75VegaFunny01.thumb.jpg.347aa8b6199f1822a3b27111bbb73623.jpg

40 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I bought one of those as a glue bomb last year. I don't like it as a '70s funny, either. I'm gonna put an injected engine in it as an Altered, or maybe bracket racer. 

75VegaFunny01.thumb.jpg.347aa8b6199f1822a3b27111bbb73623.jpg

man you've got alot of cool stuff... you and afx both... i think he has most of the falcon kits stockpiled ?

14 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Union 917K in Martini colors, which is not the same or derived from the Fujimi kit, so I assume it's ex-Heller. Several things that need to be upgraded/corrected to look a little less toylike in areas, but overall great potential. Interestingly, there are significant scale and proportion differences between this and the Fujimi 917s, and right now, I don't know which ones are correct.

Image result for Union 917K

ACE, 

Great finds.  When you build the Porsche 917K and yes, it is ex Heller, the rear deck does not fit well on the sides and I recommend you add pins to the deck and receptors to the chassis side.  Or vice versa. Wish I had.

20190415_084342.jpg.10d2c0dd8c3a823f42797d1a458a0ad6.jpg

Edited by Gramps46

Went to the NNL meet last weekend - first time I'd taken a model to a show since the '70s. At the swap meet next day I picked up a couple Jimmy Flintstone bodies; '58 Chevy sedan delivery and '60 Chevy wagon, plus a few good bits for other projects: '57 T-bird and Fairlane Styline front ends, '63 Plymouth rear bumper and a '61 Dodge custom grille which will most likely be going into my '53/'56 F-100 conversion (it's a rare thing: a Jo-Han custom part that's an improvement on the original :lol:)

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Stopped at Hobby Lobby, hoping for new kits.  Nope, none.  Mostly for old time's sake, I used the 40% off coupon for a Round 2 "Pepper Shaker" '57 Chevy.

And for storing tires and small parts, some little plastic Ziploc bags.  Maybe I'm paranoid, but I swear the HL employees look at me funny when I buy those.  Like they suspect I'm Walter White or Jesse Pinkman...

I don't have my camera handy, so the pic's from onlne, but one of these arrived in the mail.  The seller was in Canada, so shipping wasn't ridiculous, and the price was on part with what AMT kits were going for in the LHS. 

56cf39748d235_170522b.jpg

At the moment, I'm torn between trying to turn it back into a stock roadster, or making a woodie like the one in Gasoline Alley here.

1921-Oldsmobile-Roadster-ORIGINAL-Factor

1919-Oldsmobile-Truck-4.JPG

10 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

ACE, 

Great finds.  When you build the Porsche 917K and yes, it is ex Heller, the rear deck does not fit well on the sides and I recommend you add pins to the deck and receptors to the chassis side.  Or vice versa. Wish I had.

Thanks for the heads-up on that. 

On 4/15/2019 at 12:06 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Union 917K in Martini colors, which is not the same or derived from the Fujimi kit, so I assume it's ex-Heller. Several things that need to be upgraded/corrected to look a little less toylike in areas, but overall great potential. Interestingly, there are significant scale and proportion differences between this and the Fujimi 917s, and right now, I don't know which ones are correct.

The old Heller kit (also issued by Union, Testors and Wave) is a quite accurate kit, the Fujimi kit is 4 mm too wide, which creates a far-too-wide windscreen among others. THis width error is impossible to correct, therefore I went back to the Heller kit. I decided to try to build it as accurately as possible. Some building experiences:

I glued the tail to the center section, and added 1 mm plastic strip to increase the height a tad. This might also solve a common problem of this kit: the engine cover will not fit with the engine installed.

917k-19.jpg

I cut up the floor plate, so I could glue the sponsons (lower center body fuel tanks) to the top side, and made a cut at the front so I could glue the nose section to the main body. The latter cut is a bit difficult to see

917k-24.jpg

Another thing that I changed is the headlight cover shape. Right is original, left is modified.

917k-33.jpg

There's a lot more, but maybe this gives you an idea what can be done.

Rob

When Modelhaus had their final blowout Saturday morning sale a few months ago, I saw they had a ’66 Impala rear bumper available. I didn’t have an AMT annual ’66 kit at the time, but figgered, hey, that sounds like something that might come in handy someday.

So guess what I scored on ePay a couple weeks ago? Yup, and it went for quite a bit less than ’66 Impala promos usually sell for, almost certainly because it’s missing the back bumper. Boo-ya!

66ImpalaPromoGB06.jpg.5e6f5bb96bcf81f238dfac8a9a1a99d6.jpg

Last week on ePay I scored a 3-car parlay of very restorable glue bombs—original annual AMT ’65 Corvette roadster, ’64 Chevelle wagon, and ’65 Mustang hardtop.  All are complete including stock wheels, and the Vette even has an intact windshield frame, which is almost unheard-of.  Gavel price on the three was not much more than I’d expect any ONE of them to sell for.

Meanwhile, closer to home, at the local toy show, my favorite glue bomb vendor had a big new box of random bodies—just bodies, many with the roofs cut off for some unknown reason.  When I spotted this near perfect ’65 Riv body (one bent A-pillar, and one missing vent window frame, big deal), I remembered that I still have all the parts EXCEPT the body (and possibly the hood) for the Riv I built in the ‘60s, including chassis, glass, and interior.  My old interior tub is painted Pactra Leaf Green, which I’m inclined to keep just since it’s been on there more than half a century. So the question now is what color to paint the body to go with a medium-dark green interior? I’m leaning toward Testor Lime Ice metalflake, but their White Lightning pearl is also a strong contender. This body is now taking a long swim in Lake Purple.

65RivieraGB02.jpg.9bb92c1d4a8979b9672d8e7b1f4c8473.jpg

9 hours ago, Snake45 said:

When Modelhaus had their final blowout Saturday morning sale a few months ago, I saw they had a ’66 Impala rear bumper available. I didn’t have an AMT annual ’66 kit at the time, but figgered, hey, that sounds like something that might come in handy someday.

So guess what I scored on ePay a couple weeks ago? Yup, and it went for quite a bit less than ’66 Impala promos usually sell for, almost certainly because it’s missing the back bumper. Boo-ya!

Last week on ePay I scored a 3-car parlay of very restorable glue bombs—original annual AMT ’65 Corvette roadster, ’64 Chevelle wagon, and ’65 Mustang hardtop.  All are complete including stock wheels, and the Vette even has an intact windshield frame, which is almost unheard-of.  Gavel price on the three was not much more than I’d expect any ONE of them to sell for.

Meanwhile, closer to home, at the local toy show, my favorite glue bomb vendor had a big new box of random bodies—just bodies, many with the roofs cut off for some unknown reason.  When I spotted this near perfect ’65 Riv body (one bent A-pillar, and one missing vent window frame, big deal), I remembered that I still have all the parts EXCEPT the body (and possibly the hood) for the Riv I built in the ‘60s, including chassis, glass, and interior.  My old interior tub is painted Pactra Leaf Green, which I’m inclined to keep just since it’s been on there more than half a century. So the question now is what color to paint the body to go with a medium-dark green interior? I’m leaning toward Testor Lime Ice metalflake, but their White Lightning pearl is also a strong contender. This body is now taking a long swim in Lake Purple.

Nice Impala HT Snake...!  I have that one but its in need of hard to find parts for it...body and glass are shot...bummer.

15 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Great buy Snake.

15 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Snake, that's some good fortune you got there! Congrats!

11 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

ANY color besides what's on there would be an improvement! :P 

I picked up a chrome tree for this kit last year to get the wire wheels; let me know if you need any bits and I'll check it.

I should be good on chrome parts but will keep your kind offer in mind, thanks so much. I DO think I'm going to need a hood, but worse comes to worst, I can always Vacuform one from a reissue (I have several). 

Meanwhile, my original interior, glass, and chassis are temporarily MIA. I couldn't begin to imagine how many times I've run across those things while looking for something else over the last five decades,  but of course, now that I can use them, I can't find whatever old box they're in. Sigh--ain't it always the way? :angry: I'm sure they'll turn up sooner or later. Worst case scenario, the junk body came with an interior tub (to which I can add the custom dash from a reissue), the simple glass shouldn't be hard to fabricate, and I can drop the whole evil mess on a common GM A-body chassis of some sort. Not going for a stock build here so whatever I end up with from mild custom cruiser to full-on street monster is cool (and, more importantly, basically free). For color, now leaning toward using a can of Duplicolor Honda Hampstead Green I bought because I thought it might be close enough to pass for 1969 Ford Silver Jade, but, now doesn't look like it. But it should look nice with the old Leaf Green interior, providing I do eventually find the thing. 

Now, of course, I need to go looking for something else, so I magically find the Buick parts while looking for that. That's the way the perverse Universe works, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Picked all this up at an Estate sale today. The papers it was wrapped in was dated 1986. The mini bike is with the Destroyer. A 4 wheeler and a jet ski. Don’t know what the little orange car is from nor the little die cast but it says Irwin corp. 200 Fifth Ave, NY. NY.

D5494787-7467-4914-AD5A-CA21287991ED.jpeg

FDAF9EC7-A310-433B-B39F-E709E8BAA0B5.jpeg

522621B8-8FFD-4156-9732-E360A12A4021.jpeg

4 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Picked all this up at an Estate sale today. The papers it was wrapped in was dated 1986. The mini bike is with the Destroyer. A 4 wheeler and a jet ski. Don’t know what the little orange car is from nor the little die cast but it says Irwin corp. 200 Fifth Ave, NY. NY.

D5494787-7467-4914-AD5A-CA21287991ED.jpeg

FDAF9EC7-A310-433B-B39F-E709E8BAA0B5.jpeg

522621B8-8FFD-4156-9732-E360A12A4021.jpeg

If you ever want to trade the River Rat orange truck and boat pm me....

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...