Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

2 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

I am so sorry about your grandson, Johnny. 

I should have finished my point. We did not have a problem with the loud Ding Dong alarms, and you could hear them throughout the entire house. I would imagine a lot of people with pools and kids would want to keep them. The high decimal sirens located on the door frame right by your ear probably get taken off before the inspector hits the end of the driveway. It just does not make sense.

I don't usually rail on about the government, but this one should be about effective regulations over dumb regulations.

I wish your family the best. 

Scott

I understood what you meant, I was just wishing that an alarm system would have been required here back then.

48 minutes ago, Rodent said:

Can't fix a shoulder puncture.

Jim, it's time to go to Tire Rack and order up a set of 18s and tires. Keep the 16s for snow tires.

Yep, correct - had to get a cheapy placeholder put on there - it’ll be winter tire time shortly and I don’t intend to run these wheels next year once the snow tires come off, so…

Still haven’t decided WHAT wheels to put on there though…I keep wondering if a set of Crown Vic black steelies might give an interesting look for a while until I get bored of them… 

This may not happen everyday,but is it just me,or does anyone else despise the sound,or lack of sound,EVs make.The other day i was outside working on my house and an EV passed by me pretty quickly.It sounded like a UFO..Sswoooosh.,mmmmmm.I hate all EVs.Long live the American V8 engine👍

• Like 3

On 10/7/2023 at 8:00 PM, NYLIBUD said:

This may not happen everyday,but is it just me,or does anyone else despise the sound,or lack of sound,EVs make.The other day i was outside working on my house and an EV passed by me pretty quickly.It sounded like a UFO..Sswoooosh.,mmmmmm.I hate all EVs.Long live the American V8 engine👍

I think it's kind of cool.  Don't  worry, government will likely mandate manufacturers to add some sort of noise makers (sound system) to them to better warn pedestrians to the EV presence).

2 hours ago, peteski said:

I think it's kind of cool.  Don't  worry, government will likely mandate manufacturers to add some sort of noise makers (sound system) to them to better warn pedestrians to the EV presence).

It's very important for blind people to hear the cars. 

We had breakfast in downtown Salt Lake City after GSL, and the place was in an area with lots of EVs. They really make the urban areas a lot more livable just because they're quieter. 

Made a rather unpleasant discovery this morning. A ratus ratus, or some close relative has taken to nesting in my kit stash. Fortunately, they only chewed one box and didn't go after the kit contents. We found the nest and put out traps with peanut button on them. Will see if the peanut better is there in the morning, and if it's gone, we'll set the traps. 

When I redo the garage, I need to make sure there's some way for the cats to get up there. 

5 hours ago, peteski said:

A never-ending whoopie cushion soundtrack would be appropriate, IMHO.   🦨

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, peteski said:

They do make some sound. My RAV4 Hybrid makes a loud warbling noise while backing up to extent that my neighbours had to ask what is wrong with your new car. Guess they thought I had a bad bearing or something.

8 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Made a rather unpleasant discovery this morning. A ratus ratus, or some close relative has taken to nesting in my kit stash. Fortunately, they only chewed one box and didn't go after the kit contents. We found the nest and put out traps with peanut button on them. Will see if the peanut better is there in the morning, and if it's gone, we'll set the traps. 

When I redo the garage, I need to make sure there's some way for the cats to get up there. 

Good thing you found this now.

Side note when i went to Google ratus ratus I found it is rattus rattus. Had never heard the term and was curious to learn more.

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Good thing you found this now.

Side note when i went to Google ratus ratus I found it is rattus rattus. Had never heard the term and was curious to learn more.

Latin spellings were never my strong suit. This is why I gravitated toward astrophysics and computers. 

I do not want to offend of our members from the beautiful state of West Virginia.  That being said I have just completed a round-trip to visit family in Ohio and had to traverse the WV Turnpike twice. The turnpike is part of Interstate 77, a highway built with federal tax dollars. Yet I had to pay a total of $25.50 to drive on a highway I paid to have built. And it is always under construction somewhere restricting it to one-lane backing up traffic for miles. Of course I can't complain too much, North Carolina, my home state, has built a toll stretch of I-77 through Charlotte, effectively messing up even more the traffic standstill/flow through that city.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Latin spellings were never my strong suit. This is why I gravitated toward astrophysics and computers. 

Dave just wanted to point it out and it was not intended as a criticism. Believe me i am far from perfect when it comes to doing my share of misspellings all the time. As I said it I learned some interesting things by looking up the term.

On 10/9/2023 at 10:18 AM, peter31a said:

They do make some sound. My RAV4 Hybrid makes a loud warbling noise while backing up to extent that my neighbours had to ask what is wrong with your new car. Guess they thought I had a bad bearing or something.

True, but while driving forward mode EVs only emit fairly quiet whine or a howling sound.  Reminds me of the noise my GF's Segway makes.  I think the sound is a gear whine. It does sound a bit like the UFO sound in some old Sci-Fi movies.  I think that the goal is to make the noise a bit louder and more apparent.

From Wikipedia:

What are the noise requirements for EV?

The federal safety agency previously passed Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 141, which requires that all 2020 model year and newer electric and hybrid vehicles under 10,000 pounds be equipped with a pedestrian warning sound.

My neighbor's 2020 CR-V sounds like George Jetson's car when she drives by. My other neighbor's older Tesla Model S makes no sound other than the tires on the pavement.

On 10/9/2023 at 3:13 PM, webestang said:

At least the tire did not do this............(at 80mph).....

lCNgnuJ.jpg

That doesn’t look fun…

Today’s adventure in owning a Mustang…first day of fall where I needed the heater…no heat.  Cold air, no problem, fans working fine…just no heat.  It has plenty of coolant, so it’s not that.  

Hoping it’s a simple fix, because 14 degree weather won’t be much fun in a couple of months…thermostat maybe?

40 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

…thermostat maybe?

Not the thermostat if the engine's coming up to operational temp on the gauge.

Most likely it's either the heater control valve, that diverts hot coolant through the heater core...OR...the probably WAY over-complicated electronics and/or stepper motor that works the poor thing.

Gone are the days when a simple, robust cable got the job done, and would do it for half a million miles. Though some cars do still use cables, they're routinely much smaller and weaker now, with cute little delicate plastic parts that get brittle and fail after a few years.

Heater cores do occasionally get clogged too, sometimes the result of the wrong coolant having been used, or stop-leak having been added somewhere along the line...and that's often because a head gasket is failing, and stop-leak is an expedient and cheap temporary fix.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Not the thermostat if the engine's coming up to operational temp on the gauge.

Most likely it's either the heater control valve, that diverts hot coolant through the heater core...OR...the probably WAY over-complicated electronics and/or stepper motor that works the poor thing.

Gone are the days when a simple, robust cable got the job done, and would do it for half a million miles. Though some cars do still use cables, they're routinely much smaller and weaker now, with cute little delicate plastic parts that get brittle and fail after a few years.

Heater cores do occasionally get clogged too, sometimes the result of the wrong coolant having been used, or stop-leak having been added somewhere along the line...and that's often because a head gasket is failing, and stop-leak is an expedient and cheap temporary fix.

Good luck.

Good insight Bill, thank you!

Yeah, the temp gauge reads just like it always does, so it sounds like a heater control valve or something electronic.  I'd bet on the stepper motor - apparently failure of the plastic outputs on those is a common issue with this era Mustang, and mine has been making clicky clacky noises (although functioning perfectly) from within the dash since I got it.

Was really hoping it wasn't a case of having to remove the dash...but it may well be, I suspect.

Thanks again for the pointers!  Always appreciate your input!

Edited by CabDriver
Missed a comma
  • Like 1

My 99 Mustang had an air bubble in the system when I had no heat. But it was after I replaced the rad. Had to let it sit and run till it burped it out.

Sure hope you do not need to drop the dash, did that on my 85 and 88 Mustang........but at least no airbags to mess with......

WXlrvUX.jpg

Ffx9kry.jpg

• Like 1