Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Been putting in applications over by the new place. It's no wonder the job market is the way it is if my scenario is like everyone else's. I've gotten quite a few interview requests. Go to set up an interview time and nothing. No call back, no confirmation, nothing. Today was the 7th time that has occured out of 11 interview requests. Just absolutely baffling! Maybe it's time to take an entry level position somewhere while I buy myself a job(start another company). 

3 hours ago, RSchnell said:

Been putting in applications over by the new place. It's no wonder the job market is the way it is if my scenario is like everyone else's. I've gotten quite a few interview requests. Go to set up an interview time and nothing. No call back, no confirmation, nothing. Today was the 7th time that has occured out of 11 interview requests. Just absolutely baffling! Maybe it's time to take an entry level position somewhere while I buy myself a job(start another company). 

I'm finding the same. They want you to apply online and give them all the info they want but they dont have the common decency to say sorry not this time or drag it out so long that you are ready to give up. Or they have an over complicated application process thats almost impossible to follow correctly. But my main gripe is i have to prove I've applied for jobs but i cant do this without them writting back. Because they dont even write a 5 word email my income support while i'm unemployed is at risk every week. Give me the days of a cover letter and cv or application form back, all the tech has ruined finding a job now. And no face to face interviews when you do get interviewed. My hearing is bad so i cant do phone or video interviews as i just cant hear them over the hard drive spinning in the computer so this makes it just a bit more difficult. The last time i was looking for work the employer contacted me so i must have a good reputation for being a grafter

Traffic and construction in Pennsylvania. Travelled to Delaware for family vacation Sunday, returned last night on Wednesday. Horrible traffic on Rt. 476 going to and returning home from Delaware. Wednesday morning, it took me 45 minutes to travel 5 freaking miles going North on 476 all because of a stupid accident near or before the Pennsylvania Turnpike. I absolutely and always have hated driving through Pennsylvania. Too many stupid drivers in a hurry to go nowheres - especially in major city areas.

Trying to help people...clients or friends...who are incapable of remembering previous conversations and sticking with established goals and agreements.

I'm no longer interested in being the only adult present in a room full of people in their 30s to 70s, and having to hold the hands of folks who somehow managed to get through life so far while learning NOTHING.

This is, of course, the reason I began insisting that all business communications be handled through email, so there was a permanent record to refer to of what was discussed and agreed. It works very well for both parties.

But it's just not possible with some folks, for a variety of reasons, and I just have to quit trying to deal reasonably with imbeciles.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY
  • Like 1

Spent many hours this week arguing with a government department that i cant give them the date of a letter i didn't get from them. They wont deal with the issue until i give them the date on the letter i never got, even though they have all the letters sitting on the screen in front of them. Long story short, its costing me 150 quid a month to pay them for something they cant even tell me what it is, and their own debt agancy has said its a mistake but without the date on the letter they never sent i cant get it fixed. Its like training a cat to juggle knives,

I bought a nice Willys street rod/gasser on E Bay last weekend from a seller in Marin California who shipped it this past Monday. It was suppose to have arrived at my house on Friday bur so far, it's been bouncing between several USPS distribution centers that are located throughout New England like it was inside a pinball machine. As I tracked it, I got a message earlier from the USPS saying that the Willys will now arrive this coming Monday.

GRRRRR!

Edited by John M.

It was actually yesterday morning.

Had summer service checkup for air conditioning scheduled for 10am. Wake up at 6:30 with my day planned. Just as I am getting up power goes off. No problem there's plenty of time till service.

Now morning routine is shot can't make coffee or fix breakfast, and don't want to use phone too much to conserve battery. Get email and text from pge but no estimated time of power restoration. Finally call air conditioning company and explain that power is out and no clue when it coming back on and reschedule for afternoon.

Finally at 10:15am power comes back on but vague explanation that outage was weather related. Get some coffee made, put phone on charger. My sister called and ask me to go back there house to put air on as they had a doctor's appointment. Came back home and called air conditioning company but tach was in Chico and was not going to be able to come sooner.

Service did get done. But it's amazing how much a power outage can mess up a day. Wish pge had been better with estimation of when power was going to be restored.

On 7/9/2023 at 8:45 PM, imarriedawitch said:

Here we go again with USPS. Please, please, please stop relying on hobos to deliver the mail and hire some real employees. My package, Allentown Pa to London, Ont., a distance of 500 miles is on day 26 and not out of the US yet. I wonder if Amazon is interested in delivering mail?

I had an interesting delivery experience.

I was ready to back out of my driveway about 7:30 the other morning and a black sedan zooms up, parks across my driveway and gets out quickly. He’s a big guy dressed in black. He leaves his door open and starts walking towards me with a flat package.

He asks, “Are you Thomas Geiger?” I timidly answer yes. He says, I have something here you need to sign for.” I’m thinking this guy is a plain clothes cop or I’m being served papers.

He holds out a tablet for me to sign.. I ask, “And what is this?”  Amazon!

15 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I had an interesting delivery experience.

I was ready to back out of my driveway about 7:30 the other morning and a black sedan zooms up, parks across my driveway and gets out quickly. He’s a big guy dressed in black. He leaves his door open and starts walking towards me with a flat package.

He asks, “Are you Thomas Geiger?” I timidly answer yes. He says, I have something here you need to sign for.” I’m thinking this guy is a plain clothes cop or I’m being served papers.

He holds out a tablet for me to sign.. I ask, “And what is this?”  Amazon!

Yes, there is getting to be more and more "last mile" Amazon deliveries around here using passenger cars/SUVs. They are typically older (70s) folks in Prius or RAV4 Hybrids but not always.

4 minutes ago, Rodent said:

Yes, there is getting to be more and more "last mile" Amazon deliveries around here using passenger cars/SUVs. They are typically older (70s) folks in Prius or RAV4 Hybrids but not always.

I've seen some of that..though if they are in their personal car, the drivers usually have an Amazon blue vest/jacket on.    Had a delivery recently where the driver was driving a sharp dark blue C7 Corvette coupe.

The thing will people using their personal vehicles is the insurance.

A long time ago I worked for a courier service. The job didn't  last long because the courier company wanted proof of insurance from my insurance company. Insurance company said no as my policy was was personal use and not for business usage. I doubt that changed and I wonder how many people using their personal automobiles are not covered when they are doing these jobs. 

27 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

The thing will people using their personal vehicles is the insurance.

A long time ago I worked for a courier service. The job didn't  last long because the courier company wanted proof of insurance from my insurance company. Insurance company said no as my policy was was personal use and not for business usage. I doubt that changed and I wonder how many people using their personal automobiles are not covered when they are doing these jobs. 

If you showed me the business model for Uber 20 years ago I would have said it wasn’t possible! Not only the insurance part, but also the state requirements for taxi licensing and such.   But here we are!

I think Uber and such are a scam on the drivers since they figure out too late that they wear out a car before they pay for it! 

ongoing to my irk with communicating with the jobcentre. it seems english is too hard a language for them to communicate with so i've asked them to communicate with me in welsh. I dont speak or read welsh but i figure i have as much chance of understanding it as their attempts in english if i run it through 3 or 4 different languages on google translate before trying it in english. i did get them to finally admit i cant know about something if they dont tell me and since they didn't tell me i could not give them the date on a letter they didn't send.

my second irk of the day is cruise liner passengers. because some bright spark decided adding 10,000 extra people to a small island wasa good idea i could not get on a bus to a job interview. the earliest bus i could actually get on was 2 hours later and the job was gone.

3 hours ago, Slotto said:

The how about a laugh thread is locked.

2 hours ago, TonyK said:

I agree. Looked forward to those pics for laughs and shared the really good ones with my wife.

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

I enjoyed the “How about a laugh” thread too. Sad that some people have to ruin it for others because they can’t follow simple rules.🤨

It will most likely get unlocked at some point. 

Just need to give it a rest for now, maybe let some people reacquaint themselves with the forum rules. A couple of people get 30 days to think about it.

:)

A lot of people are like "there's nothing bad in there at all." 

Yeah well, that's because you can't see the posts that were deleted, or the reports that people made.

"BuT mY POsts WeReN'T pOliTical."

Sorry to break it to some of you, but memes about gun violence, Bud Light, discrimination in general, people that have been president, or people that are president are most definitely political.

• Like 4

Thank you for taking the time to explain and your efforts to "house clean". My definition of laughs have always been to stay away from the controversial stuff and focus more on the bizarre, dumb and stupid. 😆 

28 minutes ago, TonyK said:

Thank you for taking the time to explain and your efforts to "house clean". My definition of laughs have always been to stay away from the controversial stuff and focus more on the bizarre, dumb and stupid. 😆 

I agree. There's plenty of funny stuff that fits those categories. There are plenty of venues to go to for the controversial stuff. Let's face it it's nice to have an oasis to come to without be constantly reminded of all the turmoil in the world today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone, I am more sad than irked. I looked forward to seeing new posts on the laugh thread. It saddens me that a few people that can't follow the rules takes the fun and pleasure from the rest of us. my suggestion if you unlock the thread is to make it clear to everyone that posts will be deleted if found to be against the rules. The poster will be told why it is bad. They should be given a certain amount of violations and told where they stand. If they don't comply, then ban them from forum. Then, a few bad apples don't spoil it for everyone. I don't care who it is or how many posts they have. 

What are your thoughts, mods?

Just my 2 cents worth.

George Bluhm

Went down into my basement this morning to take something out of the freezer to begin thawing for tonight's dinner. There was a puddle of water running out from under the freezer and when I opened the door everything inside was soft, which means there had been no freezing for several hours.  I now have an upright container full of worthless food which I will have to get rid of and replace.  The freezer is less than two years old.  I will be getting in touch with Frigidaire and Home Depot.

• Sad 1