Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

5 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

So far, so good with USPS delivery at my new house. Been here almost 6 months. The mail lady either walks the packages down my long driveway or drives down.  She even brings the letter mail to my door when there are packages.  Leaves them in a USPS basket at the door under the overhang out of the weather.  

Same with the mailman at my Dads house, my current temporary location. He's a great guy, very respectful and a retired vet. But at my normally lived at location that mail person is horrible at delivering the mail. At that location we have a cluster box and we are always receiving someone else's mail who's name and address is clearly different, it's a constant thing. So we have to do the job they were hired to do and take that mail to the rightful person. 

2 minutes ago, A modeler named mike said:

Same with the mailman at my Dads house, my current temporary location. He's a great guy, very respectful and a retired vet. But at my normally lived at location that mail person is horrible at delivering the mail. At that location we have a cluster box and we are always receiving someone else's mail who's name and address is clearly different, it's a constant thing. So we have to do the job they were hired to do and take that mail to the rightful person. 

many years ago,  i had fedex or ups, i dont remember which, leave every package that was for our apartment complex left at our door. like 15 boxes. i put them in my pickup and brought them to each apartment. if it happened today, i would have just called them and said come get this mess. 

i dont have the same abilities to carry stuff like i used to. my left elbow has so much pain that even lifting my 2 pound laptop causes severe pain. 

40 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

So far, so good with USPS delivery at my new house. Been here almost 6 months. The mail lady either walks the packages down my long driveway or drives down.  She even brings the letter mail to my door when there are packages.  Leaves them in a USPS basket at the door under the overhang out of the weather.  

Yes indeed, there are still some conscientious carriers who actually do the job they're paid for. One of my local guys is just like that. 

The rest are kinda meh, but so much better than their predecessors, complaining would make ME look like the idiot.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

6 hours ago, A modeler named mike said:

I get what your saying but I come from a time when law was respected and individuals took pride in their work and had values as you probably did also..

I also come from that same time, but unfortunately the world around us has drastically changed (and not for the better). We may have the "old world" morals, but large portion of current population does not. Same goes for the work ethics or even common sense. Just ask Ace.  ;)

• Haha 1

Yesterday's irk, actually...checked my mailbox on the way in and stepped in dog exhaust. Fresh, slimy, and stinking. Had to take my shoes off and wash 'em prior to entering the house...and not the first time.

Though there is a grassy strip of public land immediately across the narrow not-busy street from me, one of my neighbors persists in letting her dog use my lawn as its toilet.

I've seen her and her pooch in the act on occasion, walked outside and asked her nicely to stop, she denied it even though I had witnessed the download, and the steaming pile was an obvious "smoking gun".

Guess I need to see where she lives and dump my catbox at HER mailbox..though I ought to make sure there are no cameras pointed at the street first.  B)

• Like 1

The work at home mentality becoming more of an expectancy by many who are able to since Covid.  Argument being that they can work just as efficiently? I think not due to the many distractions in a home environment where their peers cannot see them. All too easy to often get wrapped up in doing other stuff unrelated to the job.

There is a discipline in getting up in the morning, having a shower, getting dressed and actually going to work. Unfortunately this ethic seems to be getting eroded, but those work at homes expect someone else who actually gets up and goes to work to assist them at a supermarket, get seen to in a hospital, or a mechanic being actually available at work to fix their car.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Bugatti Fan said:

The work at home mentality becoming more of an expectancy by many who are able to since Covid.  Argument being that they can work just as efficiently? I think not due to the many distractions in a home environment where their peers cannot see them. All too easy to often get wrapped up in doing other stuff unrelated to the job.

There is a discipline in getting up in the morning, having a shower, getting dressed and actually going to work. Unfortunately this ethic seems to be getting eroded, but those work at homes expect someone else who actually gets up and goes to work to assist them at a supermarket, get seen to in a hospital, or a mechanic being actually available at work to fix their car.

Working from home pre-Covid was completely different from work from home necessitated by Covid.  Pre-Covid it was not unusual that even though a parent was home working the kids still went to day care and there was a dedicated working space that wasn't the kitchen table. 

• Like 1

I've worked from home for 6 1/2 years full time.  I couldn't imagine going back to a commute and a cubicle in the corporate grind.    I get that certain types of jobs require people to be at a location in person, but for many occupations--such as mine--physically being in an office isn't necessary..I have my home office, big monitors, high speed internet.  My company's physical office is 1000 miles away anyway, so commuting isn't practical..I was hired as a remote employee.  My whole team is remote and WFH...a few live within 50 miles of me, we try and get together for a happy hour now and then and I fly to the corporate HQ a couple times a year.

Edited by Rob Hall

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yesterday's irk, actually...checked my mailbox on the way in and stepped in dog exhaust. Fresh, slimy, and stinking. Had to take my shoes off and wash 'em prior to entering the house...and not the first time.

Though there is a grassy strip of public land immediately across the narrow not-busy street from me, one of my neighbors persists in letting her dog use my lawn as its toilet.

I've seen her and her pooch in the act on occasion, walked outside and asked her nicely to stop, she denied it even though I had witnessed the download, and the steaming pile was an obvious "smoking gun".

Guess I need to see where she lives and dump my catbox at HER mailbox..though I ought to make sure there are no cameras pointed at the street first.  B)

Oh No Mr. Bill! That act would bring you down to her level. I would bag it up for about a month. Put it in a box, wrap it nicely with ribbons and all with a Thank you for being an conscientious neighbor note attached. Inside would be another note that states these belong to you! I thought you'd like them back since you apparently forgot to take them with you. Your welcome! Find her address and set the trap. That might do the job 🤔 or how far does your garden hose shoot? 😆

• Haha 1

USPS has either had a package go AWOL or stolen! It  made it 121 miles south east of me , On December 1st it was Located in Columbus Ohio. Last update was the 5th saying it was traveling though the network... Normally hours after it hit's the center at Columbus it's at my local P.O here in Van Wert Ohio! which is 121-126 miles from the capital of our state...

I nned to have an MRI done on my left foot.  The radiology place my insurance is sending me says they need to use a special MRI machine, however, that special machine doesn't allow people with Pacemakers on it.  I have a Pacemaker. Now I'm waiting for a call after they figure it out.

While talking about the post office,  do not buy those discount  stamps advertised just about everywhere.  Those are Chinese counterfeits and most of them don't have the coating that the postal equipment uses to identify stamps.  Thus they won't work and USPS says they'll just toss your mail away!

• Like 1

Repeating TV commercials!!!

I know the Marketing that if you see a commercial more than once, you are more likely to remember the ad. I just find it annoying to have to see the same one 2 or even 3 times in a row. The on that is most prevalent is the one by AT&T with Lily on the plane. See, it works !!! There are others and they are just as bad.

Anyone finds this bad??

2 minutes ago, gbdolfans said:

Repeating TV commercials!!!

I know the Marketing that if you see a commercial more than once, you are more likely to remember the ad. I just find it annoying to have to see the same one 2 or even 3 times in a row. The on that is most prevalent is the one by AT&T with Lily on the plane. See, it works !!! There are others and they are just as bad.

Anyone finds this bad??

You are proof that the repetitive playing works! You remembered the company airing it and what they were pushing. Not to mention Lily.. 😆 but seriously I find the back to back commercials very annoying. In fact I find it annoying that I pay a hefty price to have the honor of watching that repetitive BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH. There's other commercials in particular that irk the heck out of this tradition heterosexual male but I won't go there. 

23 minutes ago, gbdolfans said:

Anyone finds this bad??

Very bad.  Right now it is a season for the Medicare "plan C" ads.  Camp Lejune, Asbestos, and all the ambulance chasers ads. Ad-noseum!

14 minutes ago, A modeler named mike said:

You are proof that the repetitive playing works! You remembered the company airing it and what they were pushing. Not to mention Lily..

Better ads use clever plots or good (not stupid) humor. Those are more memorable to me than being annoyed by repetitive ads.  I still remember The phone company Yellow Pages commercials from the '90s.  Those were very clever.  Furniture Stripping, Rock Drills, Dumb Waiters, Civil Engineers, and many more.  In more recent times State Farm Insurance ads are also quite good.  But Liberty Mutual ads with the emu are really annoying. Wouldn't get insurance from them.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, peteski said:

But Liberty Mutual ads with the emu are really annoying. Wouldn't get insurance from them.

What? Your tired of Doug and his pal emu?  I cringe everytime little Doug rides over the flowers that run along the sidewalk with his mini car. I'm surprised that Liberty Mutual doesn't offer pet insurance and incorporate the emu as the spokesperson. Also annoying is all the different Progressive commercials. 🤔 Maybe Doug and Flo should hook up and start their own insurance company.

Working off of 3 hours sleep from last night's trip to the ER with my dad by ambulance. Sat by dads gurney in the busy ER hallway by the ambulance bay entrance from 11:30pm till 3:30am till an ER stall became available. Back at the hospital @ 8am when visiting hours open to find he is still in the ER waiting to be admitted to a private room upstairs. Let the bills begin! 

Crazy thing is dad was supposed to have his first Dr. visit tomorrow with his new Dr. because his old doc is owned by LifeBridge and no longer accepts his Cigna insurance. Hope the new Dr. doesn't charge us for a less then 24 hour cancellation charge. If he does charge for it that will be a definite irk!