Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

23 hours ago, stitchdup said:

thats still warmer than our hottest sea temps, we max out about 55 in august, lol

I grew up near Santa Cruz, California. That was summertime temps there too. 45 in winter. We used to go in the water without wetsuits during summer. I like to think I'm smarter now, but I may simply be wimpier. I actually feel quite fortunate now. 

My irk was from last week. 

I ended up in the hospital Thursday. I was slow to getting an issue with severe edemahospital. Taken care of(I had a weight gain of 70 pounds that was from water retention in a period of 3 months). That really throws the body out of wack. Being that waterlogged messes up ones sodium balance which can be a big problem. Definitely need to be more diligent in the future and avoid making that mistake again.

Edited by bobthehobbyguy

Looks like a "snow day" is shaping up.

Light drizzle, temps falling rapidly, probably going to be icing the roads just as rush hour begins.

Not even going to try going to the shops, as the temps are going to continue to fall all day, and whatever precip is out there will certainly freeze. Forecast low tonight around 12F.

Ah well. I have paperwork I need to catch up on anyway.

EDIT: Now the irk is that the "wintry mix event" failed to materialize. Judging from the lack of traffic I can see from my home office window though, it would appear the majority have elected to stay home this AM anyway.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

31 minutes ago, TonyK said:

Still gotta take the dogs out now and then.

Even at it's coldest over the past week, the dog and I would bundle up and get our daily walk in. Admitted, it's much shorter, and much faster than usual, but we still got out there.

Even though she's half-Husky, we still have a fleece "jacket" she wears over her harness when it gets this cold. We tried boots and a hat, but she's not having any of that.

Snowed here in the burbs west of Philly overnight.  Just enough to take pretty snow pictures, but not enough to fire up the snow blower.  

I cleared my sidewalk, all 250 feet of it and a single path down the driveway to the street.  It warmed up and is now raining so that should take care of the rest.  The street is clear and I see people coming and going,  still I'm going anywhere today! 

I am on week 5 of my covid cough and feeling really tired and weak. i went to the doctor and they told me i have pneumonia and probably bronchitis and that my lungs are still very enflamed from covid. 

that is not the worst part of this. since i work from home, i rarely leave my house normally. i get my groceries delivered and i have amazon prime, so i rarely need to go out. anyway, right before i caught covid, i went to 3 places. it was my wedding anniversary and my wife wanted to do these 3 things. one was to go to a specialty food store, one was to get a nice meal for our anniversary and one was to get our new kittens pictured with a santa that the shelter was putting on. 

i found out that the person running the picture with santa for the cats and dogs had covid with symptoms, knew they had covid, but kept the event on anyway because she didnt want to disappoint the other people at the shelter group. she never told anyone in the shelter group that she had covid until after. we only found out because my sister in law is friends with the person that started the shelter and that lady told her. my sister in law questioned why she would go to the event, knowing she had covid. then told her that my wife and i got really sick from it. 

her response. it happens.   

what is worse, the lady with the covid was there taking the pictures, so she was the person that interacted with everyone because she needed to get everyone's email addresses to send the pictures to them.  

nearly everyone has a cell phone with a camera. it is not like this lady needed to be there. anyone else could have done it. shoot, if i had my choice, i would have volunteered to do the pictures over getting covid. also, there is no end in sight either. the cough is not getting any better and neither is the weakness. 

i hope there is a special place in the afterlife this lady

Edited by MrMiles

Sorry you are ill Miles!  I had Covid summer of 2022 and it truly sucked! 

That scenario figured into the reasons we didn't do NNL East the third year we cancelled.  We knew people would be so excited that they'd come to the show even with Covid!  And we didn't want to be responsible for a super spreader!

4 hours ago, MrMiles said:

I am on week 5 of my covid cough and feeling really tired and weak. i went to the doctor and they told me i have pneumonia and probably bronchitis and that my lungs are still very enflamed from covid. 

that is not the worst part of this. since i work from home, i rarely leave my house normally. i get my groceries delivered and i have amazon prime, so i rarely need to go out. anyway, right before i caught covid, i went to 3 places. it was my wedding anniversary and my wife wanted to do these 3 things. one was to go to a specialty food store, one was to get a nice meal for our anniversary and one was to get our new kittens pictured with a santa that the shelter was putting on. 

i found out that the person running the picture with santa for the cats and dogs had covid with symptoms, knew they had covid, but kept the event on anyway because she didnt want to disappoint the other people at the shelter group. she never told anyone in the shelter group that she had covid until after. we only found out because my sister in law is friends with the person that started the shelter and that lady told her. my sister in law questioned why she would go to the event, knowing she had covid. then told her that my wife and i got really sick from it. 

her response. it happens.   

what is worse, the lady with the covid was there taking the pictures, so she was the person that interacted with everyone because she needed to get everyone's email addresses to send the pictures to them.  

nearly everyone has a cell phone with a camera. it is not like this lady needed to be there. anyone else could have done it. shoot, if i had my choice, i would have volunteered to do the pictures over getting covid. also, there is no end in sight either. the cough is not getting any better and neither is the weakness. 

i hope there is a special place in the afterlife this lady

Unfortunately too many people don't think about the impact of their actions on others. 

Sounds like you've gotten a long covid case. I wish you and your wife a speedy recovery.

7 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Even though she's half-Husky, we still have a fleece "jacket" she wears over her harness when it gets this cold. We tried boots and a hat, but she's not having any of that.

My late Brian was half husky and hated the cold.  I would shovel a path off the deck, down the steps and half way down the yard.  Unless I went out with him, he would go about half way across the deck, step off the path and 'complete his transaction' being first one back at the door to go in.

Negative 3 right now in West Tenn, I can’t tell what the wind chill is.  6 inches of snow ️..  This is the second time since I have been here it’s been this cold. If we are not burning up now we are freezing …. Crazy weather…

It snowed here on sunday afternoon. by half past 3 there was no vegetables, milk, bread, meat or pasta left at any of the 3 supermarkets. Theres no need to fill your trolleys because of a some snow. just shop for a couple extra days, not an entire month so then everybody gets fed. it was the same the 2 weeks before christmas, less boats due to weather so everybody filled their freezers. ships used to plan ahead when there was a weather warning, now they just cross they fingers and hope

4 hours ago, stitchdup said:

It snowed here on sunday afternoon. by half past 3 there was no vegetables, milk, bread, meat or pasta left at any of the 3 supermarkets. Theres no need to fill your trolleys because of a some snow. just shop for a couple extra days, not an entire month so then everybody gets fed. it was the same the 2 weeks before christmas, less boats due to weather so everybody filled their freezers. ships used to plan ahead when there was a weather warning, now they just cross they fingers and hope

It's astounding what people think they need when inclement weather is forecasted. Toilet paper is one of the first items to disappear from the shelves. Not sure why, I mean I don't have to go potty more often durning bad weather.. Just saying..

What I always wonder about these people buying ridiculous amounts of "whatever" is was your kitchen empty before all this came about? We haven't been to the store for a week but have plenty of things to choose from to eat.

Oh, and what irks me is the freezing rain we just got to land on top of the ice we already have. Haven't had a snowflake yet. All ice.

On 1/17/2024 at 7:02 AM, A modeler named mike said:

It's astounding what people think they need when inclement weather is forecasted. Toilet paper is one of the first items to disappear from the shelves. Not sure why, I mean I don't have to go potty more often durning bad weather.. Just saying..

In this area, it always seems to be bread and milk that disappear first whenever any kind of cold "weather event" is forecast.

(Whatever happened to the words "snow" or "sleet" or "ice storm"?)

I guess everyone figures on having tasty milk sammidges while they shiver in the dark singing Kumbaya.

image.png.0450f460c714d971ffa6270beaf36984.png

EDIT: Maybe there's some logic to it. Seems on the surface that Spam and peanut butter and jam would be better sammidge fillings in the event of a power outage, but cold Spam is greasy and might traumatize sensitive tummies, PB and jam get too thick to spread for limp little fingers only adapted to texting, so apparently pouring milk that doesn't need to be refrigerated ('cause it's cold in the house) on some bread just might be the optimum survival solution for some...

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Haha 1

Apparently, USPS realized that the best route from michigan to nj is through hawaii. 

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

HONOLULU HI DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

January 15, 2024, 4:26 pm

Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility

DETROIT MI NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

January 12, 2024, 10:15 pm

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

had a cold blast come through , got out and cleaned all of the vegetables left on the bushes , cherry tomatoes , jalapenos and banana peppers . Guess it's time to start the new garden and plant my seeds , housed inside til they are big enough to transplant , 6 to 8 weeks .

• Like 1

On 1/15/2024 at 4:05 PM, bobthehobbyguy said:

My irk was from last week. 

I ended up in the hospital Thursday. I was slow to getting an issue with severe edemahospital. Taken care of(I had a weight gain of 70 pounds that was from water retention in a period of 3 months). That really throws the body out of wack. Being that waterlogged messes up ones sodium balance which can be a big problem. Definitely need to be more diligent in the future and avoid making that mistake again.

My wife had the same thing, it sneaks up on you slowly.

had to take apart the dash in order to get to the power window master switch, my 23 year old car is having plastic parts fail in Arizona (go figure). The passenger window switch went bad and sent the window all the way down (not good due to weather and fast fingered people).

Removing the dash face caused more cracked plastic, I'm just not gonna pay $400 to make that look pretty again, the replacement switch is very precious also, at over $200 for a new one (not gonna put an old one in and have it break immediately).

Not so much an irk as an observation about a petty annoyance.

The forecast low this PM is 10 deg F...the coldest it's been since I first moved to this area way back in 1969.

Not really a problem, as I've lived in the Northeast and Midwest, and know how to deal with cold.

The "irk" is that the 1930s-built house I'm in, originally built as a railroad crew-change bunkhouse, has for all intents and purposes zero insulation.

And when it's this cold outside, I can't get it any warmer than 55 deg F inside in the daytime, 40s at night. Brrrrrr.   image.png.cb4f20cafbe5a2e9f8f6c262c039ab47.png

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, blunc said:

had to take apart the dash in order to get to the power window master switch, my 23 year old car is having plastic parts fail in Arizona (go figure)...(not gonna put an old one in and have it break immediately).

Yup. I know how it is.