Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gimme 5 automotive subjects you'd like to see reissued

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Almost every kit ever made is still out there,,

It's just a matter of how bad you want it and if you're willing to pay the price.?

I have to agree.

In the model kit world, you basically have two options.

Do I want to hold out some kind of hope that someone is going to re-pop a particular kit that I want sometime within the next 30 years, (hopefully before I'm dead), or do I want to be realistic and realize that I'm going to most likely have to bite the bullet and shell out a little cash if I really want it.

Steve

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I have to agree.

In the model kit world, you basically have two options.

Do I want to hold out some kind of hope that someone is going to re-pop a particular kit that I want sometime within the next 30 years, (hopefully before I'm dead), or do I want to be realistic and realize that I'm going to most likely have to bite the bullet and shell out a little cash if I really want it.

Steve

Yes. The way I look at it is , Do I really want to spend my money on 5 more '70 Camaros or do I want a '68 Bonneville? 

IMG 1529

The Hero had 1 issue after the show issue, the Western Pickup. It still had all the horse engraving and fringe, but rear deck was pre-cut out into pickup version. I’ve got both, I have an Imperial problem. 
I think Mark has some too. 
Tamiya 850 BTCC cars I’m in all day. 

2 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Some cool stuff in this thread. 

I've got to add these. I would re-buy these in a second!

20b391cd81b4f5cea8fe92436d7846b9.jpg.ab61d15b9b5c00afdc7217c95101c4c2.jpg

[...]

I'm lucky to have picked one up when I did, when they were fresh.  Shocked what feeBay asking prices are.
822310536_3c65f940e9_o.jpg.54e145dd6f389dacc4477e472ed78e6d.jpg

3 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Almost every kit ever made is still out there,,

It's just a matter of how bad you want it and if you're willing to pay the price.?

I agree too.  Some are hard to catch, which makes it like hunting for ______________, more rewarding when you bag it.

8 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I'm lucky to have picked one up when I did, when they were fresh.  Shocked what feeBay asking prices are.
822310536_3c65f940e9_o.jpg.54e145dd6f389dacc4477e472ed78e6d.jpg

I built the wagon and the sedan years ago. Like all of my old kits, they ended up being damaged and eventually tossed. I keep hunting for reasonably priced versions, but I think my only hope is a reissue! 

As simple as it seems, I am sure there are reasons why some of these kits have not been seen in years. If you have ever had to build a business plan for a project, you understand what seems to be an easy, no brainer subject can become quite difficult to execute. Rest assured the model companies are in business to make money and they no longer have the number of retail outlets in which to sell their product, so they have to plan differently these days.

The Red Alert Chevelle has an awful body.  I was just looking at my kit a couple months ago and was shocked at how bad it really is.  It does not look like any real Chevelle or other car. 

And the real Red Alert was a '70, so even if the parts were accurate for the year it represents, it's still not correct. 

Why reissue something so "off" that can be had now with a much more accurate set of parts?  

Seems a little odd that anyone would be pining for a reissue of the Mork & Mindy Jeep when that kit is the common-as-dirt CJ-7 that has been pretty much constantly available for more than 40 years in Monogram, Revell-Monogram and Revell packaging.

Of course, if you were hoping for it to be reissued in the TV show tie-in packaging, you're probably put of luck, seeing as how that show went off the air in 1982.

24 minutes ago, SCRWDRVR said:

The sad part for me is I would have to shell out the cash since most of the kits I would really like to see again are Johan kits. I don't know if these were altered or re released but I would like to see one of these again

1244076-26866-80-pristine.jpg

1266747-18039-11-720.jpg

The guts of the California Street 'Vette were used under several Monogram/Revell C2 Corvettes, most recently the '66 Penske kit. I don't know if the body tooling still exists, but I'd be willing to bet that of the kit could be reissued, it would have been been by by now. Also, Revell and Tom Daniel aren't exactly playing nice these days _ they got into a royalty dispute that scuttled a planned reissued of the Baja Bandito _ so it's doubtful he would sign off a reissue of the Street Vette even if it was doable.

16 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

The Kenworth (sans Movin' On livery) and Petty Race Team were both reissued in 2017...

The Smokey the Convoy Chaser kit is a derivative of the MPC '76 Dart Sport, which has been reissued something like 3-4 times in recently years, once mistakenly labeled as a Duster. Also, the 1/20 scale Highjacker Ford van was reissued about five years ago and the Bruce Larson USA-1 Vega pro stock is scheduled to be reissued soon.

1 minute ago, RickyD said:

The Smokey the Convoy Chaser kit is a derivative of the MPC '76 Dart Sport, which has been reissued something like 3-4 times in recently years, once mistakenly labeled as a Duster.  

It was available in the Smokey packaging also in 2006.

• Xingu changed the title to Gimme 5 automotive subjects you'd like to see reissued