Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

5 hours ago, tom said:

I went to the new Barkhampsted CT Ollie's yesterday, and was surprised to see model kits there.  They had these kits for $9.99 and some trucks for $16.99.  I bought the Gremlin.  I also had a 15% off coupon that would have expired next week, so that worked out great.  

Wow didn't know you were from ct like me ! Gotta check the Waterford Ollie's soon for models. Can't pass em up lol

Had to run some errands & stopped by Ollie's. I asked my contact there about new kits and she said "we get a truck delivery tomorrow" but didn't know what was on it. They did have these kits on the shelf. I snagged a Cornbinder and a can of primer so not a wasted trip!

20210608_121734.jpg

20210608_121730.jpg

20210608_142400.jpg

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Somebody let us know if they have any other kits. I wouldn't drive across town for the Gremlin, VW, and '57 Ford if they were free. (I still haven't built the '57 Ford I bought in the '90s, and possibly never will. :lol: )

Last go around I bought two Gremlins. Was surprised to find really cool tampo tires in them.  

I have enough AMT 57 Fords in one big parts bin to last a lifetime!  

I went to the Ollie's in Flint, Mi. this morning. I got there at 9:06 AM (They open at 9 AM) and found 5 kits on their large display cubicle. The 2006 Camaro Concept, 2005 Chrysler 300, VW Scirocco, 97 Mustang GT, and the MPC snap '49 Merc Police Car. I grabbed one of the Police Cars to do the Stallone "Cobra" Merc. After walking around for a few minutes, and coming across a couple more gents looking for kits also, I headed to the checkout with my one paltry kit. While I was nearing the checkout I see one of the guys I saw by the display with two other women (All of them were about 30 years  or younger) checking out with THREE CARTS FULL OF KITS, THE CARS STILL IN CASES, AND A BUNCH OF LOOSE TRUCK KITS. I didn't see everything in their carts, but I do know they had several Diamond REO Trucks, the '69 Chevelle Convertible, '69 GTX, '69 Hurst/Olds, '57 Ford, VW Scirocco, AMC Gremlin. There were a few more that I didn't get a good enough look at to see clearly. My estimate would be that they had close to 100 car kits and at least 20 Truck kits. As I was leaving they were still in the parking lot loading their booty into a pair of brand new Chevy Silverado Pickup's that probably go for 40-50K. I know all about first come first served and capitalism and all that, but sometimes these things just piss a person off. I envy some of you guys that can still get kits from Ollie's and Clearance kits and paints from Hobby Lobby up to a week after the sale starts, because around me, if you don't get there first, you're out of luck.  I guarantee this rack was full when those folks started hoarding all of them!!

20210609_091500.jpg

20210609_091512.jpg

Edited by Dragonhawk1066

The hoarders likely already have them (re)sold, maybe on Facebook Marketplace, or are going to try their luck on eBay.  I'd bet you will see a ton of the kits mentioned on eBay in the coming weeks, and I'm betting on seeing a bunch of them at the first post-Covid automotive swap meet here at the end of the month.  It's like these guys think they are the only ones who know about those stores...

Generally, I have been lucky to find things at Ollies, but when I do, I get anything I may want for parts or whatever when I see it because you don't get a second chance. Realistically, these are OK deals if you don't have the kit already or you want parts out of it, but I don't see how you could make much $$$ reselling, at least not right away. 

This happens all the time. I was at a hobby show swap meet about 5 years ago, it was a month after Ollie's had a big sale. There was a jughead there who had a bunch of Ollie's kits marked up two to two and half times the price he bought them for. Us regulars didn't recognize the seller, they probably had a relative sitting in for them, and needless to say they went home with most of what they brought. There were a few show visitors who made a purchase, but word spread pretty quick about the table of Ollies specials and they were avoided like the plague. On top of it all, the person at the table would not make deals, saying they had to get marked price. These shows have a couple of regular sellers who will often buy up other tables of kits, sometimes to take out the competition, sometimes to add to their inventory, and they even avoided the Ollies seller. 

There will be a glut of these kits on eBay by tomorrow, if not sooner, from people who scooped up cases of these kits today.

2 hours ago, larman said:

Generally, I have been lucky to find things at Ollies, but when I do, I get anything I may want for parts or whatever when I see it because you don't get a second chance. Realistically, these are OK deals if you don't have the kit already or you want parts out of it, but I don't see how you could make much $$$ reselling, at least not right away. 

I these guys are on eBay, Amazon or at flea markets. Figure those $10 kits plus they probably used the 15% off coupon. If they are savvy, depends on the state, they could flash their sales tax exempt card. That brings that $10 kit down to $8.50. 

Wanna be first on line for the Ollie’s kits:

E42DB2F5-123B-43FA-A89D-87151ED0980D.jpeg.ac61f269ee3a3478cd9f5ab48f4c9569.jpeg

7F662016-1641-475F-8DF0-28F6DD169102.jpeg.894977a91e77f69e88a0795a8f5bc51c.jpeg

This was in today’s email. Like everywhere’s else they’re desperate for help and hit their mailing list..

They must have a pretty successful ebay storefront to be able to drop, let's say, $1000 in one hit just to make $1000 over a period of at least 6-12 months. I'm sure they buy lots of other highly reduced items to re-sell at twice the amount. Like I said, they were loading the kits into a pair of brand new shiny white Chevrolet 4 door Pickup's, so obviously money isn't that much of an issue to them.

38 minutes ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

They must have a pretty successful ebay storefront to be able to drop, let's say, $1000 in one hit just to make $1000 over a period of at least 6-12 months. I'm sure they buy lots of other highly reduced items to re-sell at twice the amount. Like I said, they were loading the kits into a pair of brand new shiny white Chevrolet 4 door Pickup's, so obviously money isn't that much of an issue to them.

They might be trying to keep up with their debt, using eBay sales as a side gig.  Next time follow them home, jot down the address and wait for the big Foreclosure Yard Sale.  You might even be able to pick up one of those nice trucks, when they get repo'ed. 😈 

Around here, the flea markets are cluttered with Ollie's kits after they have a sale.  Prices are usually deleted with a black marker.  A sales pitch I've heard more than once:  "This model kit will cost you $30 at Hobby Lobby!"  LOL!  Thanks, already bought it for $9.99 at Ollie's, same as you.

• Like 1

I checked my local Ollies,  I got 3 '69 Chevelles and 3 '57 Fords. Here is what is at the Airport Road store in Allentown, Pa, they are pretty well stocked, but 90% of this will be gone by Saturday, if not sooner. I did not check the Tilghman St store because I am guessing they will have pretty much the same stuff and I already got what I wanted here.

20210609_154057.jpg

20210609_154101.jpg

20210609_154105.jpg

20210609_154107.jpg

20210609_154116.jpg

20210609_154119.jpg

20210609_154126.jpg

I don't see a whole lot there that I would buy, even if I was closer than 1095.29 miles away from the nearest Ollies. The Olds kits are parts goldmines if you like updating other A-Body GMs and I might get one of the Mustangs.

The folks putting these things on eBay may be counting on people like me that don't have an Ollies nearby and may want to buy an out of production $10 kit for $20 and spend $14 to have it shipped from the other side of the country.