Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford vs. Ferrari Film

• 1 year later...
On 2/11/2018 at 7:01 PM, oldcarfan said:

It could be good if done in a semi-documentary style sort of like a Tom Hanks WWII movie. I imagine the cars will all be either kit cars or computer generated due to the crazy cost of the real cars now.

I suppose you can say they are kits but more like Replicas and yes to use the real cars would be too risky.  There's no CGI which is awesome.  As for a documentary, that would turn an exciting subject matter into a boring movie an no one would spend money to see it.  The choice of Damon wasn't everyone's favorite but it's Hollywood and from the rave reviews of the film overall I'm just happy it's not crappy like Driven.  On a flight to FL I saw Driving in the rain which was an odd combination of a movie about a race driver and his dog and not based on real life events.  The cars were more modern but there weren't any great racing scenes.

IMG_6102.JPG

Edited by vamach1

Both Go Like Hell and Ford vs Ferrari were optioned for movies. Ridley (Blade Runner) and Tony (Top Gun) Scott had Go Like Hell (which is a great book) and then Tony died. There’s still a big budget TV series called “The Drivers” in production hell as a result. Go Like Hell is much the better book; FvF is a book of facts which now comes in a funky illustrated version: I have both...

best,

M.

1 minute ago, Matt Bacon said:

Both Go Like Hell and Ford vs Ferrari were optioned for movies. Ridley (Blade Runner) and Tony (Top Gun) Scott had Go Like Hell (which is a great book) and then Tony died. There’s still a big budget TV series called “The Drivers” in production hell as a result. Go Like Hell is much the better book; FvF is a book of facts which now comes in a funky illustrated version: I have both...

best,

M.

I'm going with an open mind as they will leave out a lot of things due to time constraints and to make the movie appealing to the general public.  I explained to a guy in his 30's today at work how Shelby won Lemans in 59 etc., build the Cobra, etc. and how he and Ford hired the best drivers to compete in the USA and abroad.  Looking back it's amazing all he accomplished in a about a decade with of course help from many many less famous people.  Anyway, his legacy lives on and only the diehard Ford guys knew about the importance of Miles in many of those wins and how he would give feedback about how the cars could go faster.  It's a shame he died testing the J-car (spoiler alert?) but like many in those days he loved racing and was willing to take the risks.

26 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

I'm going with an open mind as they will leave out a lot of things due to time constraints and to make the movie appealing to the general public.

Oh, I’m sure I’ll enjoy it.  I just hope it’ll do justice to the real story, which is that a team of mostly engine and transmission  guys with a “money’s no object” mandate from the world’s largest auto company developed a world-beating English GT design to defeat an Italian cottage industry manufacturer who sold road cars to fund his racing habit. The whole “Ford as plucky underdogs” story is rubbish... Shelby’s main job was to run a race team, but he didn’t do anything that Holman-Moody or Penske couldn’t have done...

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

Just saw the movie.  It was really good!  I remember when all this happened.  There were a few detail errors and interesting story points missed or changed (like 1967 Ferrari P4s used for 1965), but a good movie none the less. GO SEE IT!

I still recommend the book  book Go Like Hell by A. J. Baime.

Looking forward to it.... probably going to go this weekend.   Watching 'The 24 Hour War' documentary now...about the same story.  I enjoyed the book Go Like Hell.    Watched the documentary Ferrari: Road to Immortality earlier this evening, excellent documentary about Ferrari racers in the late 50s...lots of great period Formula 1 and Le Mans footage.

Hemmings has had some interesting discussions regarding the film:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/11/08/ford-v-ferrari-movie-review/

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/11/15/who-is-the-underdog-in-ford-v-ferrari-again/

My local IMAX theater is screening this one.  I am trying to determine whether it's available in 3d.  That would be fun if it was.

Edited by Brian Austin

Saw it yesterday.  I was hooked while the screen was still black, with the sound of cars coming from all directions. Really good jobs by Damon, Bale and one of my favorite actors, Josh Lucas, as the obnoxious Ford exec Leo Beebe. (Lucas was also great as a raving psychopath in "Wonderland," if you like true-crime movies).  

It's always easy to nit-pick historical movies, but I thought this one did about the best it could under the circumstances: recreating events from 50 years ago with cars that are very expensive props nowadays. I'm pretty sure I saw an Alfa-Romeo BAT car sitting on a trailer in one quick scene.

Now I'm going to read "Go Like Hell" again... 

Edited by Mike999
omit

Saw it and thought it was great. Matt Damon convinced me he was Mr. Shelby as I had my doubts going in but he did a great job. Really enjoyed a lot of racing scenes and just fast car scenes in general. Also enjoy the challenge met to recreate the 60's era. All the background with the cars, people and their clothes, buildings, signs, etc. Had fun recognizing the California Speedway which was supposed to be Daytona but am smart enough to realize you can't do anything about the fencing and walls that are in place today for safety and all the billboards. Doesn't take anything away from the movie and you accept it is Daytona. My wife was with me and completely enjoyed it too. 

1966 I saw the movie today. Definitely a " Hollywoodization" of the subject. Because I've read about the subject things in the movie do bother me. The time line doesn't follow reality, there are many errors in vehicles in scenes from a particular year, Matt Damon's Texas based accent comes and goes throughout the movie, nothing is mentioned about Lola being the basis for the first GT 40, nothing references the debacle of the 1965 race for Ford,the real 1966 race ended in the rain  but in the movie it doesn't end that way,and Enzo Ferrari wasn't at Le Mans in 1966. It's almost better if one hasn't read about the whole story of Ford's effort. It's a decent effort worth seeing; just not an outstanding one. 

Edited by ZTony8

13 minutes ago, ZTony8 said:

1966 I saw the movie today. Definitely a " Hollywoodization" of the subject. Because I've read about the subject things in the movie do bother me. The time line doesn't follow reality, there are many errors in vehicles in scenes from a particular year, Matt Damon's Texas based accent comes and goes throughout the movie, nothing is mentioned about Lola being the basis for the first GT 40, nothing references the debacle of the 1965 race for Ford,the real 1966 race ended in the rain  but in the movie it doesn't end that way,and Enzo Ferrari wasn't at Le Mans in 1966. It's almost better if one hasn't read about the whole story of Ford's effort. It's a decent effort worth seeing; just not an outstanding one. 

I saw the movie today and I really liked it, and I'm looking forward to buying the DVD when it's released in a few months. Inaccuracies, sure as it is a movie for "entertainment" and it is not a documentary which to me are very boring.

I saw Rush a few years back and loved it, even though there were inaccuracies.  Can't be helped.   Enjoy them for the entertainment.    And if it gets a few new racing fans to look into the history, even better.   I mean, LeMans history is way better than studying the presidents, right?   Niki Lauda was an exciting character, as well.

I still like Days of Thunder once in a great while.   For me, remebering the real crashes they used to pass off as storyline crashes was great.     I remember how NASCAR worked with the production to get real footage.  Then Greg Sacks had to go win a pole in the movie car and couldn't drive for the win because of the movie deal

I have decided against seeing the movie.  I am just too much of a rivet counter when it comes to Ford GTs, Ferraris, and especially Le Mans that I would just sit there and fume. I am afraid I could not be entertained.  The good thing is the movie will introduce a new audience to my favorite period of endurance racing.  I was fortunate enough to see the cars and drivers race in period and like others have a large collection of books and magazines to support my model building.  Now back on my head.

I saw the movie yesterday and found it very entertaining. I think they did a tremendous job condensing about three years into 2.5 hours as well as being able to realistically visually depict the action and era. There are bloopers, untruths and inaccuracies but it does not talk away from the entertainment value plus it is kind of fun and even rewarding to spot those. Highly recommended.

Saw it this afternoon, very entertaining...great visually and an all-in-all enjoyable film.   

Came out of the theatre and there was a red '05-06 Ford GT parked out by itself at the edge of the parking lot.  Rare to see one on the street, esp. in November in Cleveland..

Edited by Rob Hall