Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 December 2019 Product Spotlight

martinfan5

AMT made the '70 promo models, coupe and convertible.  The convertible had the correct smooth trunk lid, but I believe it had coupe quarter panels as did the MPC convertible kit.  If i remember right, both convertibles had incorrect upper windshield frames also.

I'll have to pick up the Monaco police car. I love these 70s Chrysler products.

Surprised the Godzilla kit isn't a Coke themed kit.

Someone else in this thread said it right. We give Round2 a hard time about all the Coke stuff, but they're pretty good value kits. You get a nice car/truck, and usually get extras like Coke machines or coolers or whatever. There's no rule that says you have to use the decals.

:)

On 11/27/2019 at 8:10 PM, Dragonhawk1066 said:

We make fun of all of these Coca Cola based kits, myself included, but in reality they're actually a pretty good deal considering most of them come with the extras like the vending machine in this one. I think I am going to have to start picking some of these up for the extras.

There are probably more Coke collectors than model car collectors.  Tom Lowe is very tuned to his markets. I have no problem with Coke collectors financing kits for us!

1 hour ago, Classicgas said:

I'm just wondering why Round2 doesn't use the Lindberg name on Lindberg kits. Definitely want the Monaco, and maybe the Lindberg Dodge, I have the Impala in a earlier release and the Lindberg 53.

I asked that very question on the Round2 FB page a while back. The response was typical doublespeak floo-flah about their continued commitment to Hawk, Lindberg and other classic brands now under the Round2 umbrella. Okay. But, why was it necessary to relabel the excellent and classic Lindberg kits like the '53 Ford, '61 Impala, '66 chevelle and the '64 Mopars as AMT? Yes, that was a very thoughtful question regarding our product lines. Thanks for your interest. ?

2 hours ago, Classicgas said:

I'm just wondering why Round2 doesn't use the Lindberg name on Lindberg kits.

The Lindberg brand is dead as far as automotive kits goes. Lindberg was never known for top quality kits, and thought the new-in-the-'90s Lindberg kits were very good, the AMT brand has far more recognition, so it makes sense to re-brand them.

27 minutes ago, Casey said:

The Lindberg brand is dead as far as automotive kits goes. Lindberg was never known for top quality kits, and thought the new-in-the-'90s Lindberg kits were very good, the AMT brand has far more recognition, so it makes sense to re-brand them.

That makes sense. It is unfortunate however.

22 minutes ago, Casey said:

Flooding the marketplace with old mediocre product, a decade or so ago, by the guy who owned Revell-Monogram before that,  trashed or burned that brand.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

I admit, I gave those '90s kits a miss the first time around because of the Lindberg name.

5 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Flooding the marketplace with old mediocre product, a decade or so ago, by the guy who owned Revell-Monogram before that,  trashed or burned that brand.

In 2008 ish? I remember someone new acquired Lindberg and carpet bombed the market with every possible re issue all at once. For example, they re-issued the crown vic police car in every possible agency at once. Usually a company would release them slowly.  It was an unusual  approach and I am convinced those kits from that era are still floating around in various clearance sales.  

And yes, it makes sense to release the newer Lindberg kits as AMT, the Lindberg brand is sadly  too far gone, The 90s kits were up to contemporary standards but everything else they did was very dated, so no matter how nice the kit is, Seeing lindberg on the box may put off many buyers.

That being said, to bring this back on topic, it is really nice to see the investment in new parts to address the problems in old kits. 

Edited by kurth

23 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

There are probably more Coke collectors than model car collectors.  Tom Lowe is very tuned to his markets. I have no problem with Coke collectors financing kits for us!

Oh yeah! I agree! Like I said, lots of cool extras in some of those Coca Cola kits that I could use for my garage diorama that I'm working on. And the more kits to choose from, the merrier, to a certain personal financial standpoint, lol.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, High octane said:

You can buy metal axle wire

No need to as I have some extra already. But all I'm going to do is alter a '76 Caprice chassis into a '70 chassis plate , Because the '70 Impala chassis would be harder to convert to a metal axle system. I also know that the '76 Caprice chassis don't have the correct exhaust system, But oh well it's otherwise  fairly the same Chassis.....