Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

New From Round2/AMT 2020


alexis

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Dave Van said:

I was very unhappy back in the day when I bought this kit. It is 1/28 scale....AND very simple. 

Tamiya did a much better Capri.......

 

All very true. However, this Academy kit and the Doyusha (a European 1973 2000GT) kit are the only MK I Capris out there that I know of. He could use the AMT Capri II, but it won't be an exact replica, just inspired by.... If one wants to build a replica of the car he showed, those are the only choices.The Tamiya Capri is a MK III, which was not imported to the US. In the US, we got the Mustang-based Mercury Capri instead.

Edited by SSNJim
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/11/2020 at 12:50 PM, Erik Smith said:

I’m waiting for the Capris II to re-emerge before I let the rumor die...

2D2B2C8A-2216-4944-9E89-99E8F3384DC9.jpeg

I'd go for another Capri in my stash. I just happened to look at my 76 Capri on the shelf tonight and thoughts of breaking it out as one of my next projects went through my head. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/8/2020 at 9:17 AM, Casey said:

I though that was put to rest a few years ago with the reissues of the VW Scirocco, 280ZX, Toyota 4x4 pickup, Turbo Firebird, Cheverra Z28, and more recently, the Subaru BRAT.

AMT1982catalog24-vi.jpg

 

I'd love to see the Camaro Z28 Snapfit reissued again.  I have the original release and it builds into a fairly nice replica except for the stupid "Cheverra" style wheel spats in back of each wheel well.  Both kits share the same tooling.  When R2 reissued the Cheverra again, I was hoping they would have included the stock rear deck lid/spoiler from the Z28 kit.  Unfortunately, they did not.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

If I recall correctly, wasn't the AMT Mitsubishi Eclipse announced in R2's lists? I imagine the F&F 95 Supra will follow if Round 2 has the Fast and Furious licence from Universal and also the Toyota licence with the 1/64th Supras for Auto World's line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, RickRollerLT1 said:

If I recall correctly, wasn't the AMT Mitsubishi Eclipse announced in R2's lists? I imagine the F&F 95 Supra will follow if Round 2 has the Fast and Furious licence

I think Revell has licensing for that currently (though it may not be exclusive?), as the 1/24 '71 GTX is soon to be reissued as "Dom's GTX" or similar.

The 1995 Eclipse is due in a few months, but the Supra seems a likely follow up. Do those two kits share the same tires?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Casey said:

I think Revell has licensing for that currently (though it may not be exclusive?), as the 1/24 '71 GTX is soon to be reissued as "Dom's GTX" or similar.

The 1995 Eclipse is due in a few months, but the Supra seems a likely follow up. Do those two kits share the same tires?

 

The tires in the AMT Supra are wider and thicker, while the ones in the Eclipse IIRC are thinner. Both are the same thread design though.

I don't think the Revell licence for the F&F brand is exclusive to them, as they also did Die-Cast kits of the '70 Charger, Eclipse, and Civic around the same time AMT had their styrene ones out. AMT's F&F Eclipse, Supra, and others such as the 350Z and Lancer were designed off movie cars, and would be hard to sell them without the movie branding unless Round 2 will put out the '95 Eclipse and Supra as generic tuners.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just wish, that instead of reissuing old and in many cases obsolete and sub-par kits (by today's standards), they would invest in making something brand new. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, mrm said:

I just wish, that instead of reissuing old and in many cases obsolete and sub-par kits (by today's standards), they would invest in making something brand new. 

I wish I'd hit the Powerball next week. Oh well, back to building models that actually exist. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, mrm said:

I just wish, that instead of reissuing old and in many cases obsolete and sub-par kits (by today's standards), they would invest in making something brand new. 

Many of us grew up building most of these reissues, it's very nice to be able to build them again, especially since most of us can now give them the attention they deserve.

Edited by Classicgas
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many of us that are old enough to remember the original issue of some of these kits have more advanced skills today than we had then. As we revisit some of these we realize just how primitive some of them are by todays standards. The difference is today we know how and what to do with them to make our 1/25th dreams come true. That's my thought anyway.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Many of us grew up building most of these reissues, it's very nice to be able to build them again, especially since most of us can now give them the attention they deserve.

 

1 hour ago, espo said:

Many of us that are old enough to remember the original issue of some of these kits have more advanced skills today than we had then. As we revisit some of these we realize just how primitive some of them are by todays standards. The difference is today we know how and what to do with them to make our 1/25th dreams come true. That's my thought anyway.  

I get it. I'm with you. However this brings three issues that still don't understand. 

First off, they can still reissue some old stuff AND create new. One does not exclude the other. And they have shown they are capable of it both financially and technologically, with their diecast releases in various scales and product lines.

Second, they could still reissue some kits, but improve them in some areas. I mean, some of them are just waist of plastic out of the box.

And last, but definitely not least, is the issue that I know will strike a note with some. This kind of thinking is extremely selfish and not healthy for the hobby's future. I am in my '40s and have two boys, who are at ages perfect for getting into the hobby. But that is pretty darn hard, when you go in Hobby Lobby (which is like a Round 2 company store) and they don't see anything that grabs their interest. Or when it does, it has such poor fitment and bad instructions, that it is no fun for them. 

  In forums, in magazines and at every show I have ever been for the last 20 years, I hear how the hobby is slowly shrinking. How there is no new blood. How there is no one to replace the outgoing generation of builders. And how model stores and companies are closing doors and going out of business. Well, duhhhhhh........   Tamiya is not. Aoshima is in its renaissance. Fujimi had a huge plastic kit comeback. But look what they are making and how they are making it. 

   I build hot rods and customs. Throw enough '30s Fords at me and I'll be happy. The Japanese companies take care of my Ferrari passion. But the hobby can not progress and continue on people like me alone. Or on people who like to build their neighbor's daily beater from 1971. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I wish I'd hit the Powerball next week. Oh well, back to building models that actually exist. :lol:

Yup! That's the attitude that got so many model companies out of business. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mrm said:

 

I get it. I'm with you. However this brings three issues that still don't understand. 

First off, they can still reissue some old stuff AND create new. One does not exclude the other. And they have shown they are capable of it both financially and technologically, with their diecast releases in various scales and product lines.

Second, they could still reissue some kits, but improve them in some areas. I mean, some of them are just waist of plastic out of the box.

And last, but definitely not least, is the issue that I know will strike a note with some. This kind of thinking is extremely selfish and not healthy for the hobby's future. I am in my '40s and have two boys, who are at ages perfect for getting into the hobby. But that is pretty darn hard, when you go in Hobby Lobby (which is like a Round 2 company store) and they don't see anything that grabs their interest. Or when it does, it has such poor fitment and bad instructions, that it is no fun for them. 

  In forums, in magazines and at every show I have ever been for the last 20 years, I hear how the hobby is slowly shrinking. How there is no new blood. How there is no one to replace the outgoing generation of builders. And how model stores and companies are closing doors and going out of business. Well, duhhhhhh........   Tamiya is not. Aoshima is in its renaissance. Fujimi had a huge plastic kit comeback. But look what they are making and how they are making it. 

   I build hot rods and customs. Throw enough '30s Fords at me and I'll be happy. The Japanese companies take care of my Ferrari passion. But the hobby can not progress and continue on people like me alone. Or on people who like to build their neighbor's daily beater from 1971. 

Good point. Right now my interests are building kits from my childhood (80s) that I screwed up the first time. Its nostalgia for the time, not the particular vehicle. I would much rather build modern subjects, like from the late 80s until now. I think it would be awesome to have full detail modern Jeeps and new pickups. I'm sure those younger than me may feel the same. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Rbray47 said:

Good point. Right now my interests are building kits from my childhood (80s) that I screwed up the first time. Its nostalgia for the time, not the particular vehicle. I would much rather build modern subjects, like from the late 80s until now. I think it would be awesome to have full detail modern Jeeps and new pickups. I'm sure those younger than me may feel the same. 

Exactly! And I am not saying do just one or the other, but keep some kind of balance between the two and invest some in new product. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Oh well, back to building models that actually exist. :lol:

That's all there is.

These "I wish" arguments have become perennial subjects on all of the forums.

It's wasted energy in my opinion.

I love building, so that's what I'm going to focus my attention on.

All of this other stuff is just noise.

 

 

 

 

Steve

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Mark said:

Round 2 (and Atlantis) haven't invested in large banks of existing tooling, so they could set them aside and do new tools.

Huh?  Round 2 bought the tooling of AMT, MPC, Lindberg, etc...those definitely are 'large banks of existing tooling'...   reissues of existing tooling w/ updated tires, decals, is Round 2s MO...not new tooling.

Edited by Rob Hall
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

That's all there is.

These "I wish" arguments have become perennial subjects on all of the forums.

It's wasted energy in my opinion.

I love building, so that's what I'm going to focus my attention on.

All of this other stuff is just noise.

Steve

I'm thinking of adding a new sig line: "REAL modelers spend more time actually BUILDING models than they do wishing for models that don't exist and probably never will." B):lol:

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Read again...

Mark, I think the problem is the comma, which kind of alters the meaning. (I know what you meant to say. B) )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...