Model Cars Magazine Forum

New From Round2/AMT 2020

stavanzer

21 minutes ago, my80malibu said:

From what 3 understand is this a combination of the 72 vega with the Bruce Larson kit mixed together. The original vega kits had abilities to build stock production cars with stock interior Tubs.

This is the old pro stock kit (last issued as the Twister Vega, but the body was the '78 Monza S).  The body and a few other parts are new.  The old body got changed every year, so they did a whole new one.  Later on there will be a 1974 version, with another new body.

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I haven't seen any of the John Wick movies, although I'd like to. (I understand the star has done a lot of SERIOUS firearms training with SERIOUS trainers and exhibits exemplary handling and skills in the films.) 

I suggest watching Chapter 1 and Chapter 3. Chapter 2 was good but I like 1 and 3 better. 

1 hour ago, ChrisBcritter said:

I thought Popeye drove a Pontiac.

2gspca.gif.4ccd5e848929215cfafaa79c4689c432.gif

Hmmm. Did that Popeye win every fight and always get the girl? :unsure:

I'd buy a kit of that car even if not, though. Could make a T-37 out of it. B)

13 hours ago, stinkybritches said:

I suggest watching Chapter 1 and Chapter 3. Chapter 2 was good but I like 1 and 3 better. 

one was excellent, the fight between wick and common made 2 better but not as good as one. I plan on watching 3 on HBO soon..

17 hours ago, Mark said:

This is the old pro stock kit (last issued as the Twister Vega, but the body was the '78 Monza S).  The body and a few other parts are new.  The old body got changed every year, so they did a whole new one.  Later on there will be a 1974 version, with another new body.

Here is a comparison of a stock 1973 Vega and a Grumpys Toy Vega. The Grumpys Vega seems to be a 73, as well. The 72 annual still had an opening rear hatch, like the 71. The chassis is mostly stock with even the exhaust molded in. The trans crossmember is set back to gain room for the bigger engine/trans. At the rear it has two small holes for wheelie bars (?), which are not installed on my model. Both chassis' look like they came out of the same mold. The interior is completely non-stock with tubbed rear wheel wells. The body is stock except for the radiused rear wheel openings.

20200612_122615.jpg.bf36972c996711e1caec3b1a8adf28fa.jpg

20200612_122639.jpg.2ed3ac06262bc4ff9a59b2bb27ca2779.jpg

50 minutes ago, Jim B said:

Can you even get a stock Vega kit anymore?  I know the Vega wasn't a great car, but it was a significant car.  Kind of like the Pinto.

I wish we could but it seems like they don’t want to give us one or the tooling doesn’t exist anymore...

2 hours ago, slusher said:

I wish we could but it seems like they don’t want to give us one or the tooling doesn’t exist anymore...

I think the stock '77 annual Vega was retooled into the stock '78 Monza S, then that kit was combined w/ the Pro Stock parts to become the Twister Vega... 

5 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

A while back, there was talk of Round 2 reissuing AMT's Volkswagen Rabbit kit. Has anybody heard anything more on this? 

It's on a substantial pile of "TBA" kits that might be out before the end of the year if things don't go sideways with the world.