Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Master, Pactra, Aztek paints DISCONTINUED


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

I recently saw some Model Masters paint, in the little round bottles, priced in the $13 to $14 range on eBay.

That's insane! I've seen Floquil sell for that price or more. My Floquil stash from the late 80s is low but I'll be darned if I'm paying that.

Maybe I should throw up some Model Master on epay & use that money to buy more kits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our Ollies is useless, like so many other stores in town.  THe WalMArt is just as bad when it comes to car hobbyists.   Ollies rarrely has any good kits and rarely has any good paints.  Or if they do, they never have them when I'm there so it's not worth the snipe hunt to find nothing.  

I do like the metallizers from Testors - will they be completely gone as well?  I like the acrylic black paints.  And rubber in a square bottle.   Other than that, I can probably survive easily.  Just like now, when I realize I'm runing out I'll have to place an order.  Instead of bopping down to HL or finding an LHS.  

I'm not building as much now so it likely won't make too much difference.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, randyc said:

Our Ollies is useless, like so many other stores in town.  THe WalMArt is just as bad when it comes to car hobbyists.   Ollies rarrely has any good kits and rarely has any good paints.  Or if they do, they never have them when I'm there so it's not worth the snipe hunt 

 

Ollies SHOULDN’T have good kits!  It’s a close out store. When you see kits there, you know some entity... whether it’s a manufacturer or wholesaler is dumping them at a loss. Which isn’t a good thing for the future of our hobby!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes but some people are finding what I'd call "good kits".  No I don't have examples.  I get what you are saying, but the local Ollies is just not a place to find anything good, to me.  I did used to buy paperbacks, but with Kindle Unlimited, I get plenty of things to read for "free".  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like Tom said, it's a closeout store. We called these kind of stores "junk shops" and job lot stores when I was a kid. Nobody ever expected to find first, or even second, quality merchandise for sale. Why would anyone think otherwise about Ollie's?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never heard of Ollies until I've seen it mentioned on this forum.  Don't have them in my part of the country.  We used to have a similar chain of stores called Building 19, but they went under several years ago.  I'm sure the proliferation of the Dollar Stores contributed to their demise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't buy much obviously.  good thing I guess.  Last time I had to buy a set to get the color I was out of.    What's everyone using now?  I use mostly the two aluminums, steel burnt metal.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, randyc said:

I don't buy much obviously.  good thing I guess.  Last time I had to buy a set to get the color I was out of.    What's everyone using now?  I use mostly the two aluminums, steel burnt metal.   

I use Alclad whenever it's possible to spray a part.

Alclad will give you a far superior metal finish to anything Testors offers anyway.

 

 

 

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Testors paint has been junk for years now. I've been a lot happier since I made the switch over to Tamiya. Every so often I get suckered into buying a can of Testors paint.. More often than not, something goes wrong and I have to stip the paint and start over again. I have two models right now that I'm stripping off their "Extreme" Pearl White Lacquer. The stuff coming out of the can ran something bad. I now have a can of Tamiya Pearl White waiting in the wings. I've never had to strip a Tamiya paint job yet. So, I will not be missing Testors paints at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2020 at 10:51 PM, CabDriver said:

For anyone like me who will miss Testor’s enamels (which I just got good at using ?) it looks like MCW will the filling the gap there anyway:

Not all Testors enamels are going away.  Just Model Master.  The small square bottles are not going away, at least not from the last email I saw.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if it matters to anybody except me.  But the Aztek airbrushes were also discontinued.  I've used those airbrushes for years and got fairly used to taking them apart and fixing them (even though we're not supposed to do that).   

I always liked the convenience of the different nozzles and easy cleaning, but those airbrushes do have some annoying quirks.  Taking one apart shows they're cheaply made and flimsy.  Especially the roller thingy that is supposed to control paint flow.  It breaks/quits working pretty often.

For fine detail work I have a Sotar 20/20 that I use sparingly.  A friend who worked at a hobby shop sold it to me at a big discount, years ago.

At some point I'll probably pick up a regular airbrush for the bigger jobs.  I'm leaning toward one with a pistol grip, like the Iwata that Hobby Lobby has in stock.  Or considering my skill level, maybe a cheapie from Harbor Freight.  ? Good thing for me, we have a whole thread about airbrushes in here.

https://www.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=32465

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

I'm not sure if it matters to anybody except me.  But the Aztek airbrushes were also discontinued.  I've used those airbrushes for years and got fairly used to taking them apart and fixing them (even though we're not supposed to do that).   

I always liked the convenience of the different nozzles and easy cleaning, but those airbrushes do have some annoying quirks.  Taking one apart shows they're cheaply made and flimsy.  Especially the roller thingy that is supposed to control paint flow.  It breaks/quits working pretty often.

For fine detail work I have a Sotar 20/20 that I use sparingly.  A friend who worked at a hobby shop sold it to me at a big discount, years ago.

At some point I'll probably pick up a regular airbrush for the bigger jobs.  I'm leaning toward one with a pistol grip, like the Iwata that Hobby Lobby has in stock.  Or considering my skill level, maybe a cheapie from Harbor Freight.  ? Good thing for me, we have a whole thread about airbrushes in here.

https://www.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=32465

I have a 29 y/o Paasche VLS airbush that the only original part is the body.  LOL  And a 96 Trek 9600 bicycle that has NO original parts.  Frame was even replaced with a 97 frame.   But I stll call it a 96 since it was that year model when  bought it.  Completely off topic.   Back to paints...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/17/2020 at 9:49 AM, randyc said:

I have a 29 y/o Paasche VLS airbush that the only original part is the body.  LOL  And a 96 Trek 9600 bicycle that has NO original parts.  Frame was even replaced with a 97 frame.   But I stll call it a 96 since it was that year model when  bought it.  Completely off topic.   Back to paints...

 

Lol, That bike sounds like my Traxxas Stampede there Randy:lol:

Bought it second hand in February of 1999 and almost immediately started modifying it once I could afford to with one of the 1st mods being to replace the bronze bushing with ball bearings. At this point, the only part left from '99 is the bearings I installed in the original transmission case and swapped into the cases that have gone into the truck since then.....if I get the chance, I'm finally going to be replacing those and the hodge-podge of wheel bearings from the last 10+ years with all new bearings throught from a single kit this weekend!

I jokingly compare the truck to the  Paradoxes of "Ship of Theseus" and "My Grandfather's Axe"  due to the lack of original parts on the truck and considerable mods it has been on the receiving end of since '99.

Edited by Joe Handley
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just got off my dead butt and ordered over $100 worth of MM enamels (1/2 oz bottles) of what I figger I'll need. Found pretty much everything I was looking for except Pontiac Engine Blue and Black Chrome Trim. :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/17/2020 at 7:21 AM, Mike999 said:

I'm not sure if it matters to anybody except me.  But the Aztek airbrushes were also discontinued.

My only airbrush is an old Aztek that my parents got me when I was a kid, haha. I've been nursing it along for years. Every time it clogs up or starts leaking paint, I tear it apart and clean it up, even though it's supposed to be "un-serviceable".  I can't say it's the greatest...but it mostly works, more or less. The interchangeable tips were cool, but I only ever owned 1 of 'em, so that defeated the purpose somewhat. End of an era, I suppose.

I recently searched for Testors One Coat Lacquer clearcoat online, and was shocked to find almost nothing. Those few cans I did find were in the $40 range (Canadian dollars). What!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Spex84 said:

I recently searched for Testors One Coat Lacquer clearcoat online, and was shocked to find almost nothing. Those few cans I did find were in the $40 range (Canadian dollars). What!!

Check your local Canadian Tire, they were selling the One Coat as 'Extreme Lacquer'. I bought some a few weeks back for $4.75 a can!

 

On 7/14/2020 at 11:29 AM, randyc said:

I don't buy much obviously.  good thing I guess.  Last time I had to buy a set to get the color I was out of.    What's everyone using now?  I use mostly the two aluminums, steel burnt metal.   

I have been getting good results with the Vallejo Model Air metallics. They airbrush well, and even flow nicely when I need to brush paint a part.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Spex84 said:

 

I recently searched for Testors One Coat Lacquer clearcoat online, and was shocked to find almost nothing. Those few cans I did find were in the $40 range (Canadian dollars). What!!

They changed the name of the  OneCoat line to Extreme Lacquer a couple years ago. Try searching for that and you should get better results. Same paint, different name.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

I just got off my dead butt and ordered over $100 worth of MM enamels (1/2 oz bottles) of what I figger I'll need. Found pretty much everything I was looking for except Pontiac Engine Blue and Black Chrome Trim

Black Chrome Trim is what I use all the time. It fills the gap between flat black and semi-gloss black. Not sure what I'll replace it with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, TonyK said:

Black Chrome Trim is what I use all the time. It fills the gap between flat black and semi-gloss black. Not sure what I'll replace it with.

Scalecoat II Loco Black has a similar sheen and it is a great paint which should be available for years to come (unless RPM buys them out too).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just received 8 Aztec Pearl airbrush paints. I ordered it from Wallmart, but it came from TCP Global. Interestingly, TCP Global has it listed as "sold out" on their website. Must have a deal with Wallmart. ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...