Model Cars Magazine Forum

This eBay seller is nuts...

I like how he still charges for shipping.

To each their own. He has a very high positive feedback rating, so he must be doing something right. And he accepts offers, so why not price it way high and see what happens?

A kit is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

7 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

To each their own. He has a very high positive feedback rating, so he must be doing something right. And he accepts offers, so why not price it way high and see what happens?

One of them has never sold anything before. All the comments are as a buyer.

I put in an offer on the Plum Crazy Challenger Kit. I know he’s going to reject it. However, I was unable to put in the offer for the Mustang kit due to high number of messages to the seller’s mailbox. Methinks, folks are either crying foul on his ridiculous asking price or putting in offers below his asking price.

Its been a few years. 

But kit was posted with a low opening  bid. Best i remember im thinking maybe $50 ?????

And a couple  bidders got into a bidding war. And the kit sold for over $1000

This happened maybe 5 / 6 years ago maybe. 

I had one still sealed inside.

And listed it and mine only went to about 400. Went to japan

31 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Ain’t that the truth. Your mom was wise.  I guess I just don’t understand why folks will pay ridiculous money on plastic kits.

These "sealed" kits are only attractive to collectors with a deep wallet.

Actual builders such as us will take the time to find an example that we can build for a fraction of the cost.

I say, if someone wants to spend $1,000.00 on a box to set on a shelf and collect dust, knock yourself out! :rolleyes:

Steve

36 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

I guess I just don’t understand why folks will pay ridiculous money on plastic kits.

Same reason people complain about new prices and spend double that driving around stalking Ollies and HL for a deal or a coupon? Or not wanting to spend decades hunting like many of us have done? 
If people have it, nothing is wrong spending it on whatever you wish.
People spending far less with even less wherewithal shouldn't spend on kits or much else unless needs handled. After that, go for it. 

Ah, we are discussing outrageous prices for eBay items again. Since eBay changed their fee structure years ago, those crazy auctions are found often.  Back in the day, when you had to pay the insertion fee (for even creating a listing), then another fee, based on the starting bid amount, you never saw this craziness.  There used to be lots of auctions starting at 99 cents!  Those were the days.

17 minutes ago, peteski said:

Ah, we are discussing outrageous prices for eBay items again. Since eBay changed their fee structure years ago, those crazy auctions are found often.  Back in the day, when you had to pay the insertion fee (for even creating a listing), then another fee, based on the starting bid amount, you never saw this craziness.  There used to be lots of auctions starting at 99 cents!  Those were the days.

Yeah, and it used to be FUN trying to bid - hoping for a great deal on something!

Now, prices are stupid high and quality doesn't match the price.

And if the price is low, Guaranteed the shipping will kill you!

Ebay just leaves me uninspired anymore. 

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

These "sealed" kits are only attractive to collectors with a deep wallet.

Actual builders such as us will take the time to find an example that we can build for a fraction of the cost.

I say, if someone wants to spend $1,000.00 on a box to set on a shelf and collect dust, knock yourself out! :rolleyes:

Steve

Doesn’t seem that more and more of these are popping up? I see built models all the time for buy it now 1,500.00 pro builder. Some strange people maybe or fishing hope someone bites...

Unless the seller is misrepresenting an item asking an outrageous price is perfectly legitimate.  As mentioned a sealed kit is for the collector which is a different market than the casual builder. Besides something is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Finally its up the the buyer to research what the going rate is for an item and not the seller.

On 11/2/2020 at 7:44 PM, vamach1 said:

I saw that one.  EBAY needs to limit how long an item is listed if the price is ten time the “normal” amount.

ECE5EB1A-17E3-48FB-ABF9-AE3C8EE375B1.png

Well, he is from New York City... Cost of living is high there, so if you adjust for that, it's a $100 kit. LOL