Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis models for 2021 !!!!

gbdolfans

54 minutes ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

I pre-ordered one, I'm planning to be disappointed in something with it. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. I already built a Mooneyes so it will be a parts pile for me...-RRR

What were you expecting to be disappointing about it? 

Unrelated, and maybe covered already, but spotted that Atlantis is selling their 1/16th drag tires as stand-alone parts, for those of you who have reason to stock up on those...

https://atlantis-models.com/funny-car-tires-only-1-16-scale/

They've also got some individual glass sets for some of their kits available - would be cool if they started offering some of their most desirable parts individually!

You guys do realize it's a Funny car dragster, right? I don't remember ever seeing a fiberglass bodied funny car from the 70's that was 100% to factory specs... the Troublemaker Funny car is classic! I built a bunch of these Troublemaker/Desperado dragsters in my time! I love the nostalgic feel of the old monogram kits... makes me feel like a kid agian 😆 and molded in midnight blue! that's really nostalgic! Son of the Troublemaker boxart designed by Tom's son? I'll build it again and again!  😆 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CabDriver said:

What were you expecting to be disappointing about it? 

Unrelated, and maybe covered already, but spotted that Atlantis is selling their 1/16th drag tires as stand-alone parts, for those of you who have reason to stock up on those...

They've also got some individual glass sets for some of their kits available - would be cool if they started offering some of their most desirable parts individually!

Jim-

There's of couple things I wonder about. The assumption is that this kit will be made up of parts packs. The latest version of the Chevy 283 engine parts pack has headers that are way, way, way too small. The headers out of the AMT SBC parts pack are closer to being correct. The other parts pack that will be contained (assumably) is the dragster Speed Equipment #C1124. There are two front axles in that kit (pix below), one straight and one dropped. They're both really clunky and ugly (again, not even close to being correct for the car), so is the steering arm assembly and wishbones (for lack of a better term). Maybe I'm nit picking? The kit is supposed to have a hemi engine, that original Revell parts pack was sabotaged for the Miss Deal kit. It will interesting what the Hemi will be. So, we will wait and see what we get. Again, I hope I'm not disappointed.... -RRR 

IMG_3478.thumb.JPG.0ec41dda96cc37b2e9f13d7d3ba29a28.JPG

• Like 1

As covered previously in this thread, all three of the original  double kits had the Roadster Chassis Speed Equipment. The photos James Duff posted of the Atlantis build up show the Mooneyes dragster with the straight axle from the Roadster Speed Equipment, and the Chevrolet engine.

Edited by GarryR
Typo, and clarification

1 hour ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Jim-

There's of couple things I wonder about. The assumption is that this kit will be made up of parts packs. The latest version of the Chevy 283 engine parts pack has headers that are way, way, way too small. The headers out of the AMT SBC parts pack are closer to being correct. The other parts pack that will be contained (assumably) is the dragster Speed Equipment #C1124. There are two front axles in that kit (pix below), one straight and one dropped. They're both really clunky and ugly (again, not even close to being correct for the car), so is the steering arm assembly and wishbones (for lack of a better term). Maybe I'm nit picking? The kit is supposed to have a hemi engine, that original Revell parts pack was sabotaged for the Miss Deal kit. It will interesting what the Hemi will be. So, we will wait and see what we get. Again, I hope I'm not disappointed.... -RRR 

IMG_3478.thumb.JPG.0ec41dda96cc37b2e9f13d7d3ba29a28.JPG

Interesting!  I didn’t know about that stuff - thanks for the detailed reply dude!  I hope you’re not disappointed too! 

The parts on that parts tree have my mouth watering already 🤪😂🤤

10 hours ago, GarryR said:

As covered previously in this thread, all three of the original  double kits had the Roadster Chassis Speed Equipment. The photos James Duff posted of the Atlantis build up show the Mooneyes dragster with the straight axle from the Roadster Speed Equipment, and the Chevrolet engine.

If this kit has the complete Roadster Chassis Speed Equipment (I'll believe it when I see it) parts pack, I'll buy 100 of them! -RRR

IMG_3482.thumb.JPG.7c779e658a938b600712619ffedfd439.JPG

• Like 4

On 9/15/2021 at 8:41 AM, CabDriver said:

This is great! Lots of the original Revell kits have some seriously brittle tires by now, and this is a great fix! Just wish they would also issue the last rims made for the Hawaiian

Thanks for the heads up!

47 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

This is great! Lots of the original Revell kits have some seriously brittle tires by now, and this is a great fix! Just wish they would also issue the last rims made for the Hawaiian

Thanks for the heads up!

The (then) new wheels and tires in the Hawaiian were tooled and produced in China.  Atlantis did not get those, and so had to tool new tires again.