Model Cars Magazine Forum

ever re-buy a kit because you didnt remember you had it

its happened twice to me now this month. Last night i bought the AMT 1950 chevy pickup 3100. Today, i went into my model closet to look for something and found that i already had that kit, unopened in the corner. 

has anyone else done this before?

It's happened more than once...

I bought two builtup Johan '66 Cadillac hardtops on eBay a few years apart because I forgot I had one already (I had the earlier purchase in my spreadsheet as a '65).

More recently, in 2017 after moving cross country, I thought I had a Revell of Germany Mercedes AMG GT... I remember thinking I had it, but didn't find it after unpacking all the models I'd moved, so I bought one.

About a year later, I was unpacking some random boxes in my basement and found an unopened package from Model Roundup---had a RoG Mercedes GT and two Moebius '69 Ford pickups in it.    Had to think about it, and what I think happened is that order came right as I was finishing up the packing for the move and never opened it, just put it in the moving Pod.

It used to happen on occasion. Once I inventoried all my stash on Scalemates.com it ended. When I am at HL or my LHS, I can quickly log in to Scalemates and check my stash. Since they have a very high percentage of all the boxart for reissues it helps me limit or expand my choices on ebay too. I have obtained 95% of the kits I want so now my hobby budget has switched to support items such as paint booth, airbrushes and recently a mini-lathe.

Far to often I'm afraid. There are kits that I see and think of the different ways I would build them so I'll buy it. Get home and go to put it in the "to do" area and find I already have one. Pretty soon I need to make room in that area so I start to put the kits in one of my larger storage boxes. I open the box and put the kits in there with the same ones I already have of the same subject. 

1 hour ago, maxwell48098 said:

If the price was right, I've done it.  Just like I've purchased multiples of the same kit at the same time.  And years later, I'll end up selling some duplicates when I need cash for the latest project.

A.J.

Same deal for me, if the price is right I do not care. The AMT 62 impala, I have that over and over again but if I see one for $5.00 I'll gladly add one to the pile. same thing for the lindberg color me gone/series of dodges and Plymouths.  

Just now, wrenchr said:

Same deal for me, if the price is right I do not care. The AMT 62 impala, I have that over and over again but if I see one for $5.00 I'll gladly add one to the pile. same thing for the lindberg color me gone/series of dodges and Plymouths. Revell Dart, hemi dart...........I have a problem. :) 

13 hours ago, tbill said:

Oh yeah, more than once......

C5BB97EA-F689-4A57-A974-B1BD1ECC7045.jpeg

Honestly, this is me. I have filled my model closet and i moved into another room to stack. Granted my model closet is not huge, if i were to stack all of my models on a table, this would be how it would look. 

I dont think i could finish every model i have if i started building each one and didn't have breaks in between. Plus i dont toss incomplete kits in case i need a part later on

Edited by youpey

All of the above!  There’s not a lot I want (notice I didn’t use the word “need” since nobody actually needs a model kit), which comes down to me buying new kit issues, and a lot of old favorites that I have ideas for or are great parts kits. 

As mentioned I will always buy one of the favorites / good parts kits when I see them at shows in the $5 to $10 range.  

I do have my kits stored in original 12 kit cases by make, type of vehicle and era.  Depending on how many kits, there is a case marked “Chevy 1960s” and separate ones for “Chevy 1960s trucks”.  As I sorted these I became aware of how many times I bought that $5-10 kit.. I had more than a dozen 1955-57 Chevy pickups, all bought cheap one at a time!  Same with 1950 Ford pickups!