Model Cars Magazine Forum

worst commercials - i have to mute the tv

youpey

are there any commercials that you hate so much? need to change the channel or mute the tv? for me there are two, both are from geico.  

1. geico with dick vitale - i have to mute the tv on this one. 

2. geico with the worlds strongest man 

All the Liberty Mutuals, especially the wet teddy bears and anything with the emu. I didn't think it was possible for insurance commercials to be worse than the gekko and Flo ones. I was wrong. 

Also, all commercials for prescription drugs for obscure diseases. Some of these are not only annoying, but downright creepy. And they're all a full minute or more. :angry:

Liberty Mutual gets the mute button immediately. Annoying and stupid and NOT funny at all. Just don't get how they come up with more and more commercials that are that dumb.

Agree with the drug commercials. I usually mute them and mostly don't even know what I'm supposed to be curing myself of. A constant barrage of these drug pushers which I'll never understand. I have a doctor to suggest what I should take, not a stupid tv commercial.

59 minutes ago, TonyK said:

Agree with the drug commercials. I usually mute them and mostly don't even know what I'm supposed to be curing myself of. A constant barrage of these drug pushers which I'll never understand. I have a doctor to suggest what I should take, not a stupid tv commercial.

This seems to be mostly on the US channels. It’s like the drug companies want you to decide what drugs you should be on and then convince your doctor that you need them.

That "wet teddy bear" one mentioned above is asinine. I also can't stand the Pop Tarts one with "Curtis" who "likes Pesto". There are many others that are just as bad. Luckily, I record most shows on regular TV that have commercials, so I just fast forward through the nonsense.

I don't watch a lot of tv. Most of what we do watch is recorded and watched at another time, so we just skip the commercials. Or we stream it through Netflix or Amazon or whatever, so no commercials either.

I think the only time I see commercials is during hockey games or other sporting events, like the curling briers we've had here over the past few months. 

47 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

This seems to be mostly on the US channels. It’s like the drug companies want you to decide what drugs you should be on and then convince your doctor that you need them.

That’s exactly what it is!  From inside the Pharma industry, there is intense pressure to sell since the US government gives a limited period of drug exclusivity.

The Pharma sales organizations  sell to doctors. They can actually see who and where prescriptions come from. Hitting consumers to ask for their product helps.

21 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

That’s exactly what it is!  From inside the Pharma industry, there is intense pressure to sell since the US government gives a limited period of drug exclusivity.

The Pharma sales organizations  sell to doctors. They can actually see who and where prescriptions come from. Hitting consumers to ask for their product helps.

I forget which one it was, but there was one that said a side effect was death. i forget what it was for, but i do remember it was for a vanity product.  

54 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

I think the only time I see commercials is during hockey games or other sporting events, like the curling briers we've had here over the past few months. 

Love the one with the "rod hockey". Sometimes commercials can be entertaining with a bit of wit/comedy/intelligence thrown in.

11 minutes ago, youpey said:

I forget which one it was, but there was one that said a side effect was death. i forget what it was for, but i do remember it was for a vanity product.

I recall a comment about death. Guess that will cure whatever problem you had.

At least your corpse will look good.

As far as the medications its amazing to me when a commercial says tell your doctor.  In the past if you tried to tell the doctor how to prescribe you would be looking for another doctor. 

Always horrified at the monotone list of side effects like they are no big deal. Or the heart medicine that can cause heart attacks. Huh.

Its a pretty sad state the level of stupidity for selling products. Some products make sense because of who they are targeted at,  while others leave me wondering what they were thinking.

The ones I have to change the station on are not "bad" commercials I just can not watch are the ones that show the abused and mistreated animals. I am all for helping to support these causes and my wife and I do donate to them, I just can not stomach watching them .

I had to quit watching TV!!! Every time Joe Namath, or any other old geezer came on selling stuff I almost throw stuff at the set.. and then the other day I see Ric Flare, man I thought he was gone along time ago!! So, I quit watching TV period, and life is so much more layed back....

Definitely insurance commercials . If only they'd spend their funds on , I dunno , doing their jobs properly , and providing REAL discounts on an annual-basis ( per one's driving record , and NOT some college kid  algorithm ! ) , but  no , just spend unlimited funds on stupid advertising and celebrity endorsements .

I abhor the countless alcohol commercials . There's some real social-engineering going on with all of the stupid wine , spritzer , beer , liquor , etc. , commercials AND pop culture . Apparently , it's perfectly fashionable to be a "functioning" alcoholic , while remaining hypocritical about my enjoyment of tobacco : " That's a bad habit " , "Second-hand [cigarette] smoke permeates the floors and walls of the apartment which makes me sick" ( a fallacious statement and mantra , but being an irresponsible career drunk is okay for some reason ) .  Argumentum ad Populum  and Reductio ad Absurdum , indeed . 

15 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I abhor the countless alcohol commercials . There's some real social-engineering going on with all of the stupid wine , spritzer , beer , liquor , etc. , commercials AND pop culture . Apparently , it's perfectly fashionable to be a "functioning" alcoholic 

I don't mind most of the booze ads--some are even a little entertaining (such as the Corona ones with Snoopy the Dog)--except the Modelo beer ones, which have succeeded in making me dislike the Ennio Morricone soundtrack music, which I've loved up until lately. :angry:

-The commercials for medications...after hearing about all of the side effects, I just figure I'll put up with the headache for another hour or two and see if it goes away on its own.

-The beverage commercials all end with "drink responsibly".  Drink responsibly, but drink!

-All of the insurance companies are going to save me money.  So, apparently, if I switch from State Farm to GEICO, then to Liberty Mutual, then to Farmers, then back to State Farm, I should start getting checks in the mail at some point.

-The state lottery commercials.  Again, "wager responsibly" at the end.  If they wanted to be truthful, they'd just tell you straight out that lotteries are basically a tax on the inability to comprehend the concept of odds...