Model Cars Magazine Forum

1932 Duesenberg SJ Dual Cowl Phaeton

ScottGMN

Made from Hubley 1/18 scale Duesenberg Phaeton kit 

Lots of modifications and additions to raise the level of the finished product:     

• Functioning hinges enable hood to be posed opened or closed
  • PE screens in hood panels
  • Scratch-built tri-bar headlamps and rearview mirrors
  • Hoses and lines to the firewall and engine
  • Wood accents on canvass top struts
  • Scratch-built trunk…made of wood, covered in red leather and adorned with scratch hinges and clasps
  • Fender chrome accents 

Finishes

• Interior: Real Italian Leather…dark red with black accents; Carpet flocked with silver and red embossing powder
  • Exterior: Splash Tungsten Silver, Gravity Spain Rosso Mugello, Splash 2K clear
  • Top: Zero Matte Black with a dusting of Dullcote
  • Engine: Custom “Duesenberg engine” green…Testors enamel
  • Chrome: Most kit chrome stripped and replaced with Alclad II                              

DSC_3095.jpg

DSC_3097.jpg

DSC_3098.jpg

DSC_3099.jpg

DSC_3103.jpg

DSC_3111.jpg

• Like 2

What a lovely model Scott. It just shows what can be done with that old Hubley kit that dates back to the 1960's and has reappeared under different trade names over the years.

What most folk do not realise is that on this kit like all the kits that originated under the Hubley name, there is one hell of a lot of clean up to be done removing loads of die cast flash from many parts before even thinking about priming it. So speaking from my own experience, looking at the photos of Scott's model makes me fully appreciate the work he has put in to building and detailing it to that high standard.

I still have the one that I built and detailed about 10 years ago.

If only MFH were to kit this subject in 1/12th scale!    I am surprised that Pocher did not kit one way back when they did the older classics. They would have done well, especially in the US market.

The SJ is one of the most beautiful classic cars and apart from the Hubley kit in 1/18th scale Monogram did a Phaeton and a Town Car in 1/24th scale. Bandai did a boat tail in 1/16th as well.

Edited by Bugatti Fan
  • Like 1

That is by far the nicest build of the Hubley Duesenberg- or any Duesenberg I have seen-  the leatherwork is perfect. BTW, Monogram also released a boat tail Duesey in their metal body series. Got a sudden brain flash- how about a thread for Duesenberg builds of any kind or scale?

• Like 1

Thanks for all the kind words!  sjordan2 asked if I had to cut into the metal for the hood section. No. The hood section is a metal frame that accepts a solid plastic chrome piece that simulates the screen.  I cut the faux screen away leaving just a plastic frame and added the PE screen.

s-l500 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

DSC_1879.JPG

• Like 1