Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Round2 Releases

Casey

1 hour ago, sfhess said:

Wasn't the Mako Shark kit modified a bit to make some sort of custom Corvette?

After original issue, they changed the seats(added seatbelts), lower front hood grilles, full exhaust, wheels, the badging mostly save for Mark IV on hood bulge, and trailer gone. Mark or someone knows first reissue after original. I think it was in Great Street Machines series “Street Shark”. Other issues in this thread  

12 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Shame on you, that's an insult to MPC!

Actually, I can see quite a few variations between the two kits. Look at the firewall and rear tail panel areas, the details are different. 

If Palmer cribbed MPCs kit, they didn't do a great job at it. Maybe they just used it for "inspiration".

One thing they did get right that MPC didn't is the vents on the front fenders.

MPC got them too high, they're closet to the right place on the palmer kit. , , Not as correctly shaped, but closer to the right place.

13 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

From what I've read ( on this forum , primarily ) , that 1972 Challenger was a direct-bite of the MPC 1972 annual , with some , ah , "artistic licence" with the wheels and that crummy looking Shaker bonnet .

There was a PSM '71 Challenger kit, there may have been a '70 also.  The '71 body's grille area is the same as a '70, the '71 grille is an add-on.  

5 hours ago, Can-Con said:

One thing they did get right that MPC didn't is the vents on the front fenders.

MPC got them too high, they're closet to the right place on the palmer kit. , , Not as correctly shaped, but closer to the right place.

Yes, but IIRC Palmer's got five of the vents, and the real car only had four. :unsure:

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, keyser said:

After original issue, they changed the seats(added seatbelts), lower front hood grilles, full exhaust, wheels, the badging mostly save for Mark IV on hood bulge, and trailer gone. Mark or someone knows first reissue after original. I think it was in Great Street Machines series “Street Shark”. Other issues in this thread  

Geez, that hood bulge is ENORMOUS.  Good luck seeing, well, anything much whilst driving that thing 😂

On 10/16/2021 at 5:41 PM, CabDriver said:

Geez, that hood bulge is ENORMOUS.  Good luck seeing, well, anything much whilst driving that thing 😂

Still tasteful , especially when compared to the Corvette Summer Corvette , let alone many of the other gaudy customising "touches" of the era .

Anecdotally ; when I was quite young , and the Whittier Boulevard cruising scene was hoppin' , I'd see cars pulled-aside by the local cops . They would check for ride-height ( both Lowriders and Street Freaks ) , unmuffled / modified exhaust ( California having strict noise pollution laws long before emissions laws . There were some side pipes with a sliding mechanism to 'muffle' for the street , and 'loud' or 'open' for racing -- not exactly 'legal' , but neither were the Glasspacks that the Lowriders had ) , and hood scoop visual clearances ( I can still visualise that 1966 Chevelle which resembled the Monogram model -- tilt front end and a bog ole Pro Stock-type scoop ) . 

On 10/16/2021 at 5:41 PM, CabDriver said:

Yeh. "Street" my eye.

Back in the day, the police in my home city would have that pulled over and sent to the Motor Vehicle Inspection Station and failing inspection on day-one.

(Witnessed that myself c.1980. Subject was an early-'70s Camaro with a blower and ladder bars.)

iu.jpeg

57 minutes ago, keyser said:

Saw a listing for AMT-1298 Hot Wheels 1/25 66 Mustang GT snap kit. 
I missed this? Don’t remember a snap 66. 

On 10/3/2021 at 2:32 AM, Casey said:

Just saw this posted via GRA Distrubution:

AMT 1236 -- 1968 Chevy Corvette Custom

AMT 1282 -- Copperhead Rear-Engine Dragster

AMT 1288 -- Dan Gurney Lotus Racer

AMT 1293 -- '65 Chevy II Nova AWB "Twister" 

AMT 1298 -- Hot Wheels 1996 Ford Mustang GT - SNAP

AMT PP032 -- Classic Emergency Flasher Parts Pack

MPC 937 -- Wacky Races Turbo Terrific - SNAP

MPC 962 -- 1971 Chevy Monte Carlo Super Stocker

On 10/15/2021 at 2:25 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Also found on Stevens International. 

AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1262 1/25 1971 Ford Mustang Mach I $40.95 TBA
AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1283 1/25 1962 Chevy Bel Air Don Nicholson Super Stock Race Car $36.95 TBA
AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1265 1/25 Foxy Box 1975 Chevy Custom Van $37.95 TBA
AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1284 1/25 Coke 1971 Volkswagen Beetle Superbug (Unity Graphics) $40.95 TBA
AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1289 1/25 Sunoco 1934 Ford Service Station Pickup Truck $38.95 TBA
AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1326 1/25 Ford C600 US Mail Truck w/USPS Trailer $70.95 TBA

I wonder if #1262 is going to at least have the correct Mach 1 hockey stick stripes?

These prices. 😒🤨

Some sort of cost control (and inflation controls beyond R2's control) need to be implemented. Not just models, but for everything, these price hikes are unsustainable.

On a happier note....the light pack mentioned in the first post is at least intriguing. I'd like to see what that has when it comes out. Hopefully, some more interesting-to-me items will be coming.

Charlie Larkin

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

I saw a report on the news a container rate China to USA has gone from $3000 a trip to $20000....

and more...

Anyway, maybe just maybe events like these will make it easier to make the decision to bring back production to or near where the consumers are.

Edited by Luc Janssens
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

and more...

Anyway, maybe just maybe events like these will make it easier to make the decision to bring back production to or near where the consumers are.

Maybe this will be a real boon to Atlantis and Moebius who mold in the US.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

and more...

Unfortunately, once China gets hold of tooling, molds, etc., they never let them go. They're there forever. At least that's the story I've heard several times, from several different sources. :unsure:

32 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Unfortunately, once China gets hold of tooling, molds, etc., they never let them go. They're there forever. At least that's the story I've heard several times, from several different sources. :unsure:

1 hour ago, Luc Janssens said:

and more...

It's not just a story, it's a fact. I work for a company with some parts production in China. Once your tooling is there, it's there FOREVER. 

Hence my companies investment in insourcing plastic molding over the last 5-7 years, and a shift to more domestic sourcing of other parts

Yes Luc, countries can bring production back to their own countries, but would have to recreate all existing tooling if it is within China's borders

If I were inclined to be magnanimous, I'd point out that according to my wholesale distributor Revell is showing a similar MSRP shift on most standard kits from $26.95 to $29.95 on the most recent slate of issues. At the same time, that still means that Revell is undercutting Round 2 by at least $7 per kit while also producing in China. Clearly it's not the Chinese angle that has placed Round 2 at the absolute premium end (pricing wise) of US domestic car model kits.

Maybe Revell just hasn't caught up with the latest inflationary curve yet. We'll see what the prices are when the new kits actually appear. :unsure:

Last week I pre-ordered a product that's made in Taiwan and isn't expected to be in-country until January 11, 2022. (I have NO expectation that it will be here by then, either.) I locked-in the current advertised price (actually, even got 10% off that with a sale, and got it confirmed in an email from the vendor). Current advertised price is $199. I fully expect that when (if?) the product appears, the advertised price will be $250. Or more. :blink:

15 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Maybe Revell just hasn't caught up with the latest inflationary curve yet. We'll see what the prices are when the new kits actually appear. :unsure:

As I said, these are the MSRP's that have been given to me by my wholesale distributors and are the MSRP's under which I've placed my stock orders for kits #4464 ('30 Ford Model A Coupe) and #4514 ('51 Henry J Gasser).

I'm not certain how much more "What the prices are" you can get than that.