Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

15 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Had a serious lack of space for my finishing builds. Ikea to the rescue!

Finally got some new shelving to display those finished builds!

These are two of three. The third is undergoing some modification/experimentation, as I want something that will fit trailers.

Still need to play around and come up with a good way to park everything.

We actually had a major project recently. Moved the boy's room to the basement, and moved our office/computer/bookshelves, etc to his old room. Good opportunity to add the shelving.

20200907_162655.thumb.jpg.231a4cbe825d5fc8486ab1ce07856ac6.jpg

The lighting in the new office/display room is pretty good too.

20200907_161943.thumb.jpg.560762c8a918ac0f9e86dfc3c6ff999c.jpg

Nice cabinet Dan, I found a real nice book shelf at Hobby Lobby for my stackable acrylic cases...

Oh you don't want that Ray, it's a terrible kit. I'll take it of your hands...?

Seriously, you cannot get this kit in the UK nowadays and I want one badly!

I hope you enjoy it, sure you will.

Cheers,

-Don. 

Edited by DonW

20 hours ago, sfhess said:

My parents bought a 59 Mercury Monterey 4-door.  My Dad had to add on to the garage so the car would fit inside.  When we moved to California the car barely fit in the garage at the new house.

Good story. When I was a kid, apparently our garage was too narrow for the '55 Olds to fit through the door...some days.

20 hours ago, sfhess said:

My parents bought a 59 Mercury Monterey 4-door.  My Dad had to add on to the garage so the car would fit inside.  When we moved to California the car barely fit in the garage at the new house.

I wasn't born until 1970 (when my parents had a '69 Mercury Marquis 4dr ht, '69 Mustang, and a '67 Cougar),  but I've heard the story about when my parents bought a new '58 Mercury Monterey 4dr.   It fit in their garage, but a couple weeks after they bought it, my Mom had come home, unpacked groceries, then got into it to go out again..she backed out of the garage with the right rear door open...smash into the garage door frame.    They kept it a few years then traded it on a '61 Country Squire wagon. 

On 9/8/2020 at 5:06 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Got this issue of Lindberg's GT6. Generally awful kit, but after purchasing a built up a while back, I saw it does have definite possibilities.

LINDBERG CAR & TRUCK vintage out of production plastic ...

Good luck with it! Has anyone here tried to convert one of these to a Spitfire?

Very clean '59 Merc, too; thank goodness the OB didn't glue fender skirts to those finely ribbed rear quarters. I've also got a '59 Park Lane convertible; built it from a Craftsman kit many years ago. Painted it Lime Gold over black primer, did the side spears in ivory, and left the interior in gray primer. Did all the chrome in silver paint. It's one of those models I really should redo, but it's not awful enough to push to the head of the line.

After striking out at Hobby Lobby and Ollie's, today I stopped by the only remaining hobby shop for many miles. (The Hobby Connection in Easley, SC.)

Found the AMT-Round 2 International 350 Payhauler, a big monster I've always wanted to build and weather.  Also a Revell Custom Cadillac Lowrider. 

This shop is usually full retail price, no discounts.  The Cadillac was $24.99. That seems fair, especially after I took a gander at eBay.  One optimist is asking $102 for that kit. 

On 9/8/2020 at 6:06 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Got this issue of Lindberg's GT6. Generally awful kit, but after purchasing a built up a while back, I saw it does have definite possibilities. The built-up was missing parts, so I figgered I'd see if I could get a complete un-molested kit. The prices have been getting silly high for some reason, but persistence finally prevailed.

Really...a lot of it is horrible, like the engine, the window openings, and a host of other things discussed elsewhere. And the "racing" options are pretty funny..."wheelie bars" and a (I guess) gasser-style fuel tank hanging under the front bumper. Kinda unlikely a stock-engined Triumph anything will be doing any wheelies, but better safe than sorry, eh?  And of course, the Minilite wheels shown on the quite nice box illustration are nowhere to be found.

LINDBERG CAR & TRUCK vintage out of production plastic ...

I built this kit last year mostly box stock but using Pegasus rims and tires. It just didn't look right with them so I put the stock wheels and tires on it. Wish I could find some Panasports for it.1692065686_gt611.thumb.jpg.5315b431436dbc2456299507d4a460a3.jpg

IMG_2474.thumb.jpg.8c7513299945ceb9d04f6a0bc65c181f.jpg

22 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

those radars are nice wheels, I've recently got a set. I can happily recomend their brm and sprintstars too. The ss are staggered unlike the other aircooled rims from uscp

I want to get a set of the BRM and Sprintstars myself for some other VW projects I have.

This arrived today after just 2 months wait.
IMG_20200911_185929.thumb.jpg.05cf60b350faf2376f9b28e2afc2641a.jpg

Also this:
jahre-viking-1-400-jsc.jpg.3cb3ddfebac9eb23ab3b04a4c5cff9e9.jpg
A paper model of the oiltanker Jahre Viking in 1/400 scale
I have another oiltanker in the same scale from revell (Esso Glasgow) and its about 40cm long (almost 16")
The Jahre Viking in the same scale is 114cm long (almost 45")

Went to Hobby Lobby today to pick up some paint. And scored a Sinclair Gas Tanker Truck model on clearance for $4.99. Got home and my order from Hobby Lobby had arrived. I ordered $50 at 40% off with free shipping. But there is one problem. I ordered the 1966 Chevelle and got a 1961 Impala. Which I already have. I put this order in because I really wanted the Chevelle and it was in stock when I placed the order. The other 3 items were filler to get to $50. So I called. It's out of stock and when you click on the model online. At the bottom it says... 

Note: This item comes in assorted styles or colors:

• A. 1966 Chevelle
  • B. 1961 Chevrolet Impala SS

Due to the nature of this item, the style or color you receive will vary.

So I have to drive back down and return it. Bummer.

While posting here. I see Model Master spray paints have enamel. 3 step Lacquer. And 2 step Lacquer. With the 2 step. Do you have to primer it first? The can doesn't specify that like the 3 step can does. I know you have to in the 3 step Lacquer.

image0-1.jpeg

image1-2.jpeg

Edited by ewetwo

2 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Johnny Holt. Where did you order the cases from? Were they expensive? Were they listed at Nascar display? 

Not Johnny, but you can order directly from Carney Plastics. They have a TON of different wall cases available in different scales.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...