Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I just did Snake-Fu on a Motor Max 2020 Corvette and I'm pretty pleased with the way it came out. I hope you like yours as well! B)

It'll do until a detail kit arrives (if ever).  Seems specialty stuff like the C8, newer Ferraris, etc are diescat or diecast like resin that are curbside.  Plan is to strip the paint and detail the interior and?

14 hours ago, mchook said:

My sister found the Fords for $1 each at a yard sale. The rest is from a friends mother who was cleaning out a storage trailer and found some of her sons old toys & models. He was a very good friend of mine and lost his life in a car accident a few years ago. She said I could have all the model stuff she finds and this is just the start. We built and traded models together from the early 80s on up until he passed. She's moving now and needs to get rid of it but it's hard. We will be getting into his old room soon & the attic. It's fun to see some of this old stuff but sad too.

SUNP0001.JPG

SUNP0006.JPG

SUNP0007.JPG

SUNP0008.JPG

SUNP0010.JPG

Glad for you and sorry about your friend..

On 10/9/2020 at 7:49 PM, CabDriver said:

I’ve been eyeing this in Michael’s for a couple of weeks and finally broke down today - I’ve been wanting a lit display case and this fit the bill...$65 instead of $130 provided I ordered online but collected in store:

C2600E5F-00B6-4237-8280-9FBF8A9D124F.thumb.jpeg.5a2e90998de43a7908f4ff0e7500ab40.jpeg

Looks cool on the wall!  I want to add some brackets underneath tomorrow to support it to make sure we don’t have any issues, but I’m pleased with it!

DF70F246-1A29-4A17-BDC8-FDE6FE23BA3D.thumb.jpeg.640d4d90e7837d623b8c07cda0adb38f.jpeg

That looks great! Do they have an option for one one with a door to protect from dust?

1 hour ago, Modlbldr said:

I've got one just like that. I think it is partially started. Looks like a nice kit. I think I may have another from that Museum Piece series.

Later-

The 1987-ish release of that Packard Speedster Phaeton was molded in a very nice, glossy maroon.  I have that version.  When those kits were done, Monogram paid a lot of attention to its molds. 

Some of those classic car kits looked great with just polishing the plastic, no paint.  I won a ribbon at a contest once by doing exactly that, with the 1930 Packard boat-tail roadster.  It was molded in orangish plastic for the body with dark brown fenders.  IIRC, on the body I only painted the top boot, seats and spare tire covers.  

4 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

The 1987-ish release of that Packard Speedster Phaeton was molded in a very nice, glossy maroon.  I have that version.  When those kits were done, Monogram paid a lot of attention to its molds. 

Some of those classic car kits looked great with just polishing the plastic, no paint.  I won a ribbon at a contest once by doing exactly that, with the 1930 Packard boat-tail roadster.  It was molded in orangish plastic for the body with dark brown fenders.  IIRC, on the body I only painted the top boot, seats and spare tire covers.  

I polished the bodies also. I liked them like that but I did paint the engines..

Because one can never have too many Porsche 964s. It's labelled 911 RSR, but the contents are more like a Carrera 3.8 RS, which is how I'll be building it. It's funny, the image on the front is the only image used. All sides of the box just a repeat that same picture.

Ordered this on the evening of the 15th from HLJ, so that would be mid-morning Friday in Japan. Arrived here yesterday morning. That is some dang fast processing and shipping. Japan to Canada, 3 days.

20201019_185014.thumb.jpg.4b246315ca17cb96204ef449bf0ce09d.jpg

The last of my spending spree, the ebay portion, finally rolled in yesterday. Mostly NASCAR, but a few other treasures as well, especially the boat kit. Funny, when I bought the Der Beetle Bus kit a couple of days before my birthday because my wife wanted me to build one for her, I didn't know that she had bought two of them herself for my birthday for a build together project for us. Now I have three of them, lol. I plan on building the Gordon cars,  Irvan Kodak car and maybe the Elliott Coors as well, but the other two NASCAR kits are for spare parts. I'll also probably use the bodies for color testing and maybe masking/graphics practice.

DSCN5293.JPG

DSCN5291.JPG

Edited by Dragonhawk1066

3 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Picked this up off eBay, my LHS had some the last time I was there, but when I checked back recently he said someone from Guadalupe (of the Tropical Island in the Caribbean) bought all three. Cost more to ship them than the 3 kits did...

20201020_140119.jpg.bff57f76fee8e6e4e511d6e942e8265e.jpg

FYI...Guadalupe (of the Tropical Island in the Caribbean) is the filming location for PBS's " Death in Paradise "..

13 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

The last of my spending spree, the ebay portion, finally rolled in yesterday. Mostly NASCAR, but a few other treasures as well, especially the boat kit. Funny, when I bought the Der Beetle Bus kit a couple of days before my birthday because my wife wanted me to build one for her, I didn't know that she had bought two of them herself for my birthday for a build together project for us. Now I have three of them, lol. I plan on building the Gordon cars,  Irvan Kodak car and maybe the Elliott Coors as well, but the other two NASCAR kits are for spare parts. I'll also probably use the bodies for color testing and maybe masking/graphics practice.

DSCN5291.JPG

DSCN5293.JPG

Those Elliott Fords you have extra might come in handy as another driver down the road....

Picked up this poor ol' heap from Joe Wheat over the weekend:

915118982_57plymouthbelvedere.jpg.69ea7750e48cd630dc0b95f65d9c41a0.jpg

776594539_57plymouthbelvedere2.jpg.9ddcb2e8c0137d8cb2262183dddbd103.jpg

Lots of parts to play with here; wheels, bumpers, taillights and glass are all good. I wonder if I could use the glass for the AMT '58 as a template to correct the roof? Or maybe I could turn it into a post-crash version of Sheriff Roy's ride from The California Kid:lol:

8 hours ago, espo said:

I don't recall ever seeing a roof on a Promo curl up like that. The "Post-crash" idea might be the best idea. Think about how hard it would be to achieve this type of body damage on purpose.  

373E6C69-4846-46FD-A2E9-43E97BC026D9.jpeg.2eb9b497f3730d21709c8de6bea75533.jpeg

I have this one which is just as bad. All four posts have broke free.

Edited by Tom Geiger

10 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

The '72 Dodge Charger decals look good . I just ordered the Duster twister one's !

I seem to remember the Last Detail out of Australia made those decals as well,i know i have a set when the company used to be in the United States.

My wife went to Hobby Lobby whilst I was out - I would’ve been disappointed to miss a trip there if she hadn’t come home and surprised me with a kit and another sign for the workshop wall.  I have the best wife!

C70D7C12-D656-414F-8EE1-71966203D5EC.thumb.jpeg.94cb0ba5cddec455937ecfbd8d83b924.jpeg

Never built a 1/32nd before...shouldn’t take forever seeing as there’s about 8 parts in there ?.  Will be a fun weekend build! 

Edited by CabDriver

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...