Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

this one has me hopping mad. i got the AMT 1978 ford pickup firestone kit from hobby lobby to work on over the weekend. I get home and break open the parts bag and find the panel is really warped. really bad. i put it back in the box, drive all the way back to hobby lobby (30 minutes away) and exchange it for another.

in the car, i open the box to verify the parts are not warped and they dont look warped. I drive all the way home and open the bag and find there is severe damage to the part that i didnt notice at when i was at the store. it looks like someone grabbed the part with their thumb when it was still not dry and pushed in the plastic. i tried for about 1 hour to fix it, but i couldnt get it perfect. i spent full retail price on it because i really wanted to work on it over the weekend. 

i was so focused on making sure the part wasnt warped, that i didnt even notice it was pushed in. i should have taken it out of the bag and inspected it closely.  

i ordered another kit from amazon and ordered a replacement part from AMT because i am not going back a 3rd time.  its my own fault for not checking it super closely, but what are the chances that 2 kits have unrepairable damage.

i guess i will work on the engine and chassis or something until either the amazon kit comes or the replacement part, whichever comes first. i dont mind having a second one of these kits because i love the truck, i am just so annoyed by this

Went one last time and got a good one....too soon. Bed pieces warped. Im trying to tape to flat

Edited by youpey

Gorilla glue gel, worst glue I've ever used. It wrecked the paint on my 57 bug and somehow wrecked the paint and glass on my ladder truck too even though I didn't use it on the truck. I'm starting to wonder why I bother building models now, nothing has gone right in the last 6 months and I havent managed to finish anything. It seems to be one step forward, get kicked in the goolies and have to start the whole thing again. I thought model building was supposed to be relaxing

26 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

Gorilla glue gel, worst glue I've ever used. It wrecked the paint on my 57 bug and somehow wrecked the paint and glass on my ladder truck too even though I didn't use it on the truck. I'm starting to wonder why I bother building models now, nothing has gone right in the last 6 months and I havent managed to finish anything. It seems to be one step forward, get kicked in the goolies and have to start the whole thing again. I thought model building was supposed to be relaxing

Relax Les! Take a step back and regroup. It’s not how you screwed it up, it’s how you recover!

We all screw stuff up daily! I cannot count the missteps on my latest projects. 

As far as glues and using proper materials, put the Gorilla Glue back in your hair where it belongs! 😀

I don't know what’s available on your side of the pond but it seems you’d be best with a thick CA glue. I put some onto a surface… like a paint can cap, and then dab it onto parts with a tooth pick. 

Then keep your CA far away from any clear parts. Get a white glue canopy cement for those. You can literally smear it all over the glass and clean up with water without harm.

My irk? I had an annoying dream!  I was at a model car event and was putting my models into categories and when I went back, they weren’t there. Of course the models in my dream weren’t anything I own!

Then someone asked me what engine was in one of my models, I went to check and the hood was solid.. like a curbside top and bottom.. but I had remembered building an engine!

Then someone picked up one of my models and was carelessly waving it around showing it to his wife.. the chassis separated and went flying. The guy wasn’t apologetic, he said he guessed it wasn’t built very well!

That sent me off around the venue in a panic looking for glue..  then I woke up!   My first half asleep thought was to go back to sleep so I could find the glue and fix the model!  

Then I realized it was only a dream and I’d never find the glue. Funny thing, I didn’t recognize any of my models nor anyone in the dream.  Odd! And frustrating!

Then I saw it was 8am and got up.

54 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

Any ACC glue will fog paint and windows. On sensitive stuff like that I've been using Microscale Micro Krystal Kleer. It doesn't fog, dries clear, and is rubbery once set. 

1 minute ago, cobraman said:

Yesterday, roaming around Hobby Lobby looking for someone to help me. It also irks me that in one HL they hand me the paint and another HL the help has to take the paint to the check out.

I’m sure you look like the graffiti tagged type.  😅

2 hours ago, cobraman said:

Yesterday, roaming around Hobby Lobby looking for someone to help me. It also irks me that in one HL they hand me the paint and another HL the help has to take the paint to the check out.

At my last trip to the neighboring state HL, I was stocking up on Model Master paints and they actually had more on hand than I expected. I didn't have a bag or shopping cart and couldn't carry all I wanted in my bare hands, so just stuffed 8 or 10 bottles in my jacket pocket and unloaded them on the checkout counter. No one said a word about any of it. :blink:

Had to return some pants to JCPenney's today. No problem with the return, cashier very friendly and quickly refunded my money.  Went on into the store to find a pair of pants that I wanted, went back to the "Customer Service ??" station and there was no one there, looked around, didn't see a soul.  Walked to another station, same thing.  Another couple was waiting at this one, waited for a while and finally the clerk showed up. I realized just how easy it would have been to walk out of the store with my merchandise, there was no security tag attached to it.  

When I left there I dropped by the local "CookOut" to get a milkshake. Both lines were backed up.  At this facility the exit lane drives through the entry lane, a very dumb set-up.  Anyway I stayed back so as not to block the exit.  You guessed it, a couple of cars drove around me and blocked the exit lane. Really wanted to have a word or two with them, but decided the best way was to just leave, come home and have some of my own ice-cream.  Of course that milkshake would have made the 30 mile drive home a bit more enjoyable.

11 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Relax Les! Take a step back and regroup. It’s not how you screwed it up, it’s how you recover!

We all screw stuff up daily! I cannot count the missteps on my latest projects. 

Wise words, Tom..

21 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Almost got into a fist fight with a very old friend.He claims I texted him that he was a drunk snd a drug addict.Then he says his wife saw the message.I never ever would do that to anyone,joking or serious.

I have learned to just exclude people like that from my life. Not worth the BS and they are not friends.

19 hours ago, cobraman said:

I've had my share of being treated like a thief at several businesses and it seems to have gotten worse since Jan6.

2 hours ago, oldscool said:

I have learned to just exclude people like that from my life. Not worth the BS and they are not friends.

Thats Good advice,I think I’ll follow it,thanks.It was just an uncomfortable and somewhat embarrassing moment with a whole bunch of people standing around,I guess watching who was gonna throw the first punch,and who was gonna be knocked on his a#%.Plus I wear glasses,but luckily no punches were thrown.He just got in his car a took off,still screaming back at me.Oh well.I wish him good luck,and who knows maybe we can bury the hatchet one day,I mean just not in my head though of course.Lol🤣

38 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

Thats Good advice,I think I’ll follow it,thanks.It was just an uncomfortable and somewhat embarrassing moment with a whole bunch of people standing around,I guess watching who was gonna throw the first punch,and who was gonna be knocked on his a#%.Plus I wear glasses,but luckily no punches were thrown.He just got in his car a took off,still screaming back at me.Oh well.I wish him good luck,and who knows maybe we can bury the hatchet one day,I mean just not in my head though of course.Lol🤣

Tell him to show everybody the text.  That should head things off, although I'm sure someone like that would claim they deleted it.

Well actually it was last night because I like to build after 9 P.m. It's always nice and peaceful then. I started working on a replica of my mechanics 1966 nova seeing the 1964 Comet I was working on is still in the purple pond. Been in there for over a week. Sprayed the Nova a week ago. It looked great. I was trying to do the foiling on the rocker panels using masking tape as a guide for the knife. Looked great. Pulled the masking tape off and it pulled a section of the black paint off. So that is in the purple pond also. Ugh.

5 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Well actually it was last night because I like to build after 9 P.m. It's always nice and peaceful then. I started working on a replica of my mechanics 1966 nova seeing the 1964 Comet I was working on is still in the purple pond. Been in there for over a week. Sprayed the Nova a week ago. It looked great. I was trying to do the foiling on the rocker panels using masking tape as a guide for the knife. Looked great. Pulled the masking tape off and it pulled a section of the black paint off. So that is in the purple pond also. Ugh.

David, is your purple pond purple power or super clean? It might be getting where it might need changing if it’s not removing paint.  Super clean is stronger..

23 minutes ago, slusher said:

David, is your purple pond purple power or super clean? It might be getting where it might need changing if it’s not removing paint.  Super clean is stronger..

Hi Carl. It’s fairly new. I have both and transfer one to the other and both are fairly new. I also filter it between strippings to keep it clean.

I wasn’t irked today but I sure as heck irked somebody on the road. LOL! Heading out to the store on arterial. Saw a ricer in a hurry to go nowhere and was caught behind an SUV going the state speed limit (55 mph). Couldn’t pass on the right because another SUV going same speed but slightly ahead. I catch up to the SUV in my lane. We all sorta boxed the ricer in with no where for him to pass. This went on for about 3 miles until I needed to get off an exit. Ricer still couldn’t pass for the white SUV is maintaining his proper speed limit. Now that’s what I call a Fathers Day Box-in.🤣

i had something shipped usps from ebay that is 45 minutes (33 miles) from my house. its now on day 4 and its still not here. i could probably walked there and back by now. usps should be ashamed

Edited by youpey