Model Cars Magazine Forum

So I'm sitting on a stack of 63 Country Squies and 64 Colony Parks

Not sure how you reached the conclusion that this forum is filled with unscrupulous modelers but if that is your opinion then there is no need for you to seek ours.

That was my impression too.:blink:

Not sure how you reached the conclusion that this forum is filled with unscrupulous modelers but if that is your opinion then there is no need for you to seek ours.

Agreed. He's clearly trolling for furious replies, so best to just ignore him.

Paul, you've made such a name for yourself among the high-end collectors that those people are bidding and paying $2000 for a "Paul Hettick original build"; they're sort of the Faberge eggs of model cars now. Selling the kits shouldn't lessen the value because few builders can do what you do with them.  From what I've seen here, the general consensus is that most forum members take a very dim view of the arrogant copycats on eBay.

Hope you'll go ahead; I'd like to give myself an Imperial sedan as a birthday present this July.

I see the word station wagon and my eyes glaze over and I would take one for free whether it was plastic, resin, hard carved out of wood or came from a bag of cheetos.  I probably offended some people but my point is not everyone builds builds everything.

Why get worked up about the few rotten apples, while the majority here appreciates your work very much.

I know sometimes one needs to vent, but you're doing it to your fans, bad idea, Paul!

BTW about people coping your work....only the very best get copied, but those who seek quality, will buy strait from the source...just sayin'

:D

Edited by Luc Janssens

I didn't pick up that most of us here supported bad ripoff artists! I was looking forward to getting one of those Imperial hardtops down the road and build one as I certainly can't afford upwards $2000 for a built up. I know wagons are a hot property, but there are some of us that DO like and build them for our own enjoyment.

Not trying to be a smart guy, but I found the assertion to be just a bit insulting..........guess I'll just craft an Imperial on my own I suppose. :(

Edited by MrObsessive

Paul,

I love your work, even though I cannot afford one. I am a builder first, and I enjoy what I do. I wanted to be able to at least have the opportunity to get a couple of the products you were going to offer, but I came to a conclusion a while back when you stated how you are going to sell the kits through Ebay on an auction basis. While that is great for you, it will be terrible for me, as I have very limited funds, and I cannot afford to bid against those with deep pockets, so I cannot be bothered with that proposition, unless I get lucky. Personally, I tend not to do business with certain resin casters, as I am surrounded by a couple of the best casters in the business in Replicas and Miniatures Co. of MD, and Historic Racing Miniatures, and I have a terrific relationship with them. I have some of their pieces, and I can say that I have not seen better. Period! Yes, I have bought some terrible pieces in the past, as they were the only game in town, but like you, I have the skill, time, and materials to correct them if I choose.

Because of your earlier posts exposing some of the practice of re-popping the hard work of others, I made a decision to take a look at some of their wares. The person who was re-casting the MCRC El Camino comes to mind. I took a look at what he has to offer, and I can say with no question that I will not buy any of his kits at any price, as I feel that I can do a better rendition with a similar kit (s), some sheet plastic and rod, putty, glue and sandpaper. Besides, I have more kits than I will ever build. If I want one bad enough, I will go to the original source. Over the years, I have bought several kits and replacement parts from The Modelhaus, and I will sorely miss them. I wish that someone can continue the business with their blessing, but as of now, that has not happened.

Is this reply a smear on you? NO!!!! You have to make the decision that is best for you. You have a reputation to maintain, and you do not owe anyone an explanation as to why you do things the way you do. The trolls out there do not affect my movements, and you should not let them affect your business.

I enjoy looking at your work here on this board, and your built-ups on EBAY. Some of them has been inspirational to me on a couple of my builds, and acquisitions for future builds.

If I were able to get some of your castings at a price that I could afford, I would be dancing in the street. I love the subject matter, especially a couple of the wagons. But now it is looking like I am not going to be able to acquire any. I am going to have to craft my own if I want one bad enough.

I wish you well, and I consider you a friend. The trolls out there do not affect my movements, and you should not let them affect your business.

Perhaps I got up on the wrong side of the bed today, I was referring to those who support the resin rippers. There's really no reason to go into the resin business if I can't keep others from copying my work. There's no way I could get 2k for a kit... I was referring to built ups. Yes I was venting about the excuses I've been hearing on this board for copying others hard work. What I don't understand is why Pedro and others don't create their own masters and kits. That's what I'm doing. Many Modelhaus kits I helped master are completely scratch built. 50 Nash, the 57 Mercury wagons 58 Mercurys to name a few.

Paul, just to echo what Ron had said, I'd love to tackle one of your kits. But eBay (even though I sell there occasionally) can get into such a bidding frenzy, that the final cost can still be out of the reach for a lot of us. 

I get how you feel about the copiers..........some folks either don't have the skill to make something on their own, or are just flat out lazy and rather ride the skill of someone else, instead of sharpening their own skills.

Have you ever thought about offering your kits on the 'bay for a "Buy It Now" price? I'm not sure how you cure the copiers from copying........One can't copywrite the model since it is something that was once available in 1:1. Maybe calling them out on it when you see it happen (shaming them?) might help somewhat, but if they're that brazen in the first place, they'd sooner just give you the middle finger. :huh:

Paul, I was looking forward to these kits as I'm sure many others were.  I understand how you feel about the possibility of someone stealing your original work and I sympathize.  It is a shame though to think that honest modelers would miss a chance to own one of these kits because of what a few unscrupulous people might do.  

At the end of the day, you have to do what's right for you.   I hope that you decide to proceed, but if not I get it.

I wasn't going to answer the post you replied to on your other thread but with all that's being said here I letting it go...... Paul I will say this you are good at what you do I will give you that but I think it's all gone to your head.... you come on here and you call other resin casters rip off artists!!!!!!  The question I asked on your other thread asking if you used kit parts to make the masters that you do correct??? You answered that you did in fact use kit parts to do so... so now my question is, did you get permission from the kit manufacturers to use their kits and product to turn it around for a profit in the resin market??? Ten to one inner you didn't!!!!!! Therefore in my eyes, your as much of a rip off artist then the rest!!!!!!! Like I said before in the thread about Pedro, there are people on THIS SITE that are doing the very same is which your bantering against.... you're stepping on people's toes right now and leaving a very bad taste in people's mouths!!!!! I can tell you one thing, after all the bashing you've done towards others, I'd buy something from Pedro before I ever bought anything from you!!!!!!!! That is just because the way you come down on people....

The way it looks on here I think your leaving a bad taste in others too!!!!!

im done now, wasting my time for no good reason here!!!!!

Edited by DrKerry

The interesting part is didn't modelhus get there start repoping resin cast of promos. 

And it this the main part of how all this started. Sounds to me like you should stay with your private customer list and sell only to them even back when you said you were going to start again with just items for yourself only .I don't know you I hear that you are one of the best at what you do but all I hear is how everyone is copying everyone and quite honestly it is getting very old so please if your going to sell then do it if not then you might want to stop making the masters because if somebody wants it bad they will get it no mater what even if they have somebody buy it for them. And you won't be able to stop them . So sell or stop but please stop with the complaints  it is getting g so old that I don't come here 1/2 as much as I used to it just bummed me out. And this is to have fun if I want to hear the bad all the time I will turn on the news. I am sorry but it's very very old and there is much more to life so let's build .

Great way to rip  any potential client base and tooting your own horn in the same post.

Great, you can now consider it tooted and go away .

Shame,  I was considering buying a resin 59 Imperial,,,,, and I for one avoid resin if at all possible. Thanks for saving me my money.

Edited by gtx6970

Then I guess Im part of the general public and not in the high end buyer area. Maybe a high end guy like Bernie Madoff could use one hes got alot of time on his hands and high end people are honest right?. Maybe Im taking it wrong but again it may have been said wrong.

Paul,

If you offer quality products and conduct business in an above-board manner, i.e. The Modelhaus, I will potentially buy your products. I'm unwilling to have statements I don't agree with prevent me from buying products I desire.

My hope is that you continue and broaden your product line into C-Body Mopars of the '70's.

Paul, I was looking forward to these kits as I'm sure many others were.  I understand how you feel about the possibility of someone stealing your original work and I sympathize.  It is a shame though to think that honest modelers would miss a chance to own one of these kits because of what a few unscrupulous people might do.  

At the end of the day, you have to do what's right for you.   I hope that you decide to proceed, but if not I get it.

I'm with Curt on this and I think the majority of resin buyers would never support any of these direct rip-off artists knowingly.  If your going to be in the resin casting business,  being copied is a chance your going to have to take.  I hope you do Paul, life is too short to worry about every worse case scenario.  

Steve

• Xingu locked this topic