Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Round2 Car Kit Releases

Casey

On 11/22/2018 at 10:49 AM, Luc Janssens said:

Is there anyone here who can post pics of the content of this kit?

Maybe PM JC and ask him if he could share?:

Some disassembled previously built up pics here: 

Edited by Casey

I'd really like to see the Gas Cans and other accessories added back in to the '34 P/U. However, I suspect that Dave Darby's thoughts about where they went, is the correct answer. With out some brand new tooling being cut, those parts are probably long gone.   It would be nice to be surprised by seeing those parts return, however.

2 minutes ago, alexis said:

I'd really like to see the Gas Cans and other accessories added back in to the '34 P/U. However, I suspect that Dave Darby's thoughts about where they went, is the correct answer. With out some brand new tooling being cut, those parts are probably long gone.   It would be nice to be surprised by seeing those parts return, however.

Round2s modus operandi seems to be less cutting new parts and just dropping in already existing wheels these days. Too bad. Those custom wheel covers would have been very simple to tool up. 

11 minutes ago, '70 Grande said:

I'm not sure I understand the "Convertible Cabriolet" product description on that '69 Plymouth GTX box lid. I doubt that Plymouth would have used words like that, especially in 1969!

I think perhaps the Cabriolet goes with the french on the box - Plymouth GTX Convertible/Plymouth GTX Cabriolet.

I thought the Cabriolet terminology might be the French word for Convertible, but that makes me wonder why this "vintage 1969" box art style has the French translations on it, but the recently-shown 1969 Chevrolet Chevelle reissue-kit in that same "vintage 1969" box art style has no French translations on it?!?!?  (Maybe packaging-consistency isn't an important priority at Round-2).

31 minutes ago, '70 Grande said:

I thought the Cabriolet terminology might be the French word for Convertible, but that makes me wonder why this "vintage 1969" box art style has the French translations on it, but the recently-shown 1969 Chevrolet Chevelle reissue-kit in that same "vintage 1969" box art style has no French translations on it?!?!?  (Maybe packaging-consistency isn't an important priority at Round-2).

The Chevelle box art is almost identical to the original, and the GTX box art is all new. 

Um, no, "cabriolet" is not "convertible" in french. That's "decapotable"  

A cabriolet is body style. A convertible with a fixed windshield, as opposed to one with a separate frame like on a roadster.

Another poor attempt by Round2 at being bilingual. 

Edited by Can-Con

FWIW if you put cabriolet into a French to English translation you get convertible. If you put convertible into a English to French translation you get both cabriolet and the more formal decapotable. 

I'm guessing since Canadian French is much like Mexican Spanish - eg not precise formal uses of the mother language - Cabriolet is probably acceptable for the North of the Border legal crowd.

Sorry to say, but I think the "Super Trailer" (Display Case Trailer) kit sucks. The clear upper section of the kit is almost impossible to build. In fact I've never seen one built using the clear upper section. I've got one that I've been working on for several years now. The clear parts are the only thing that has stopped me from finishing the kit. 

On 11/23/2018 at 9:43 AM, Snake45 said:

Welly does a 1/24 diecast, but it's the Euro version with rectangular headlights.  I've seen it in 3D and it looks pretty good.

https://www.diecastmodelswholesale.com/1969-ford-capri-red-1-24-1-27-diecast-model-car-by-welly/

Don't think I've ever seen this diecast, but they seem to get some interesting stuff.  I am a bit curious about the scale "1/24-1/27"  Does that mean some parts are once scale and some are the other, or they just couldn't decide?  It would be nice if they just made them in 24th scale like (most of) the boxes say.

I do recall seeing the series 1 Capri as a kit, but not the Otaki onw shown.  I wonder if they did a street version also?

2 minutes ago, djflyer said:

Don't think I've ever seen this diecast, but they seem to get some interesting stuff.  I am a bit curious about the scale "1/24-1/27"  Does that mean some parts are once scale and some are the other, or they just couldn't decide?  It would be nice if they just made them in 24th scale like (most of) the boxes say.

I do recall seeing the series 1 Capri as a kit, but not the Otaki onw shown.  I wonder if they did a street version also?

When they say "1/24-1/27 scale," it means that some models in that series could be as large as 1/24 and others are as small as 1/27 (and I have examples of both). All parts on one model are the same scale, more or less, but I have noticed that I have at least three Wellys that are okay in length and height but a bit narrow in width. 

My Welly 1/24 '67 Firebird is about identical in size to my M2 1/24 '69 Camaros, so I'm pretty safe saying it's 1/24. Their '68 4-4-2 is a bit smaller than AMT's 1/25 '69, though not so much that you'd notice it unless you have the two literally side by side. Same thing with their '65 GTO. But I did notice, just since I had them on the bench at the same time, that their '67 Firebird and '68 4-4-2 were almost identical in both length and width! :blink:

The Otaki Capri is visibly undersized, even without comparing it to anything. It's not as small as 1/32 but it's definitely not as big as 1/24-25. Haven't seen mine for a while but I'd say it's maybe a little smaller than the AMT Sunbeam Tiger, and you know that's not true of the real cars. I've never seen a stock version of this kit, only the racer. I don't think it can be built stock. 

I didn't buy the Welly Capri I saw so never got to measure it or compare it with anything else, but it seemed to fit in with the other 1/24 cars on the shelf. If it had had the US round headlights, I'd have bought it. Maybe still will, someday, if the mood strikes me. 

On 11/28/2018 at 5:37 AM, unclescott58 said:

Sorry to say, but I think the "Super Trailer" (Display Case Trailer) kit sucks. The clear upper section of the kit is almost impossible to build. In fact I've never seen one built using the clear upper section. I've got one that I've been working on for several years now. The clear parts are the only thing that has stopped me from finishing the kit. 

I concur, its pretty craptastic, I bought one a few years ago at the swap meet and ended up making it a open trailer,  this is one that really shouldnt be getting another run of :lol:

Edited by martinfan5

1 hour ago, martinfan5 said:

I concur, its pretty craptastic, I bought one a few years ago at the swap meet and ended up making it a open trailer,  this is one that really shouldnt be getting another run of :lol:

x3. The 1998 AMT/Ertl reissue was one of the worst kits I've ever purchased. Chrome plating/undercoat was runny, had trapped particles, was dull all over...garbage. Totally unusable.

The base had many sinks marks, which can't be filled unless you can perfectly match the diamond tread pattern, and it was warped, too. Suspension is simplified and a bit too thick overall. The clear parts were decent, but both roof vents and the door are molded in place.

The idea of a clear trailer is a bit ridiculous, and if you're buying it with the intent on painting the exterior there are far better trailers available. If you're buying it as a display case(!), what are you thinking??!! Buy a display case instead.

You've been warned! ;)http://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/784/25-amt-display-case-trailer

36 minutes ago, Casey said:

x3. The 1998 AMT/Ertl reissue was one of the worst kits I've ever purchased. Chrome plating/undercoat was runny, had trapped particles, was dull all over...garbage. Totally unusable.

The base had many sinks marks, which can't be filled unless you can perfectly match the diamond tread pattern, and it was warped, too. Suspension is simplified and a bit too thick overall. The clear parts were decent, but both roof vents and the door are molded in place.

The idea of a clear trailer is a bit ridiculous, and if you're buying it with the intent on painting the exterior there are far better trailers available. If you're buying it as a display case(!), what are you thinking??!! Buy a display case instead.

You've been warned! ;)http://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/784/25-amt-display-case-trailer

Yes, its  bad on all points like you pointed out, I agree its a kit that should really be avoided.