Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Round2 Car Kit Releases

Casey

12 hours ago, iBorg said:

Guess my original issue Super Trailer has no value now.

I love the box art for the original release, just not crazy 'bout the kit inside. ;)

9 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I have to wonder, just how "see thru" is it with all those ridges?   Considering the skill level of your typical modeler back then, maybe that's why it was "The perfect see thru display case for your model cars"

It's not terribly distorted, and the clear parts well well-molded, optically speaking, but it's a compromise.

On 11/29/2018 at 8:42 PM, Snake45 said:

I didn't buy the Welly Capri I saw so never got to measure it or compare it with anything else, but it seemed to fit in with the other 1/24 cars on the shelf. If it had had the US round headlights, I'd have bought it. Maybe still will, someday, if the mood strikes me. 

Saw the Welly Capri again this morning. Still didn't buy it, but I did notice that it's marked 1/24 Scale on the chassis and seems to be. Color of the one I've been seeing is sort of Richard Petty Blue. If I see one in dark metallic green (like the one a friend drove in high school), I'll probably have to buy it. B)

On 30/11/2018 at 4:37 AM, unclescott58 said:

Does anybody have any photos of the Super Trailer/Display Case Trailer build, using the clear parts? 

Id like to see one built up too. I recently picked 1 up with the view of painting over the clear parts. Using with a Chevy Dually.  I will be stripping all the chrome stuff too.

Whats the alternative trailers ?

l_5b021871f5cb76477941e1fdff36360b.jpg

14 minutes ago, 57peppershaker said:

Id like to see one built up too. I recently picked 1 up with the view of painting over the clear parts. Using with a Chevy Dually.  I will be stripping all the chrome stuff too.

Whats the alternative trailer?

Alternative closed trailer,  I'd suggest the ones Galaxie LTD released....available as pull-along and goose-neck.

18 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Thanks for the link to JTalmage's build of this kit. I don't know how missed seeing that one in the past. That maybe the nicest build I've ever seen of that kit. I think painting the trailer the way he did, is the only way one can assemble this kit and make it look good. Trying to finding a glue or cement that's sticky enough to hold the clear parts together during assembly, without damaging or fogging them is all but impossible. So painting the kit, like JTalmage did maybe the only way go. 

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Thanks for the link to JTalmage's build of this kit. I don't know how missed seeing that one in the past. That maybe the nicest build I've ever seen of that kit. I think painting the trailer the way he did, is the only way one can assemble this kit and make it look good. Trying to finding a glue or cement that's sticky enough to hold the clear parts together during assembly, without damaging or fogging them is all but impossible. So painting the kit, like JTalmage did maybe the only way go. 

Scott if you use 5 minute epoxy it might work. It would give you time to make sure it was square. I think you will have to use clamps and tape to get it all square on the base before you start to glue. 

On 11/29/2018 at 7:42 PM, Snake45 said:

When they say "1/24-1/27 scale," it means that some models in that series could be as large as 1/24 and others are as small as 1/27 (and I have examples of both). All parts on one model are the same scale, more or less, but I have noticed that I have at least three Wellys that are okay in length and height but a bit narrow in width. 

My Welly 1/24 '67 Firebird is about identical in size to my M2 1/24 '69 Camaros, so I'm pretty safe saying it's 1/24. Their '68 4-4-2 is a bit smaller than AMT's 1/25 '69, though not so much that you'd notice it unless you have the two literally side by side. Same thing with their '65 GTO. But I did notice, just since I had them on the bench at the same time, that their '67 Firebird and '68 4-4-2 were almost identical in both length and width! :blink:

The Otaki Capri is visibly undersized, even without comparing it to anything. It's not as small as 1/32 but it's definitely not as big as 1/24-25. Haven't seen mine for a while but I'd say it's maybe a little smaller than the AMT Sunbeam Tiger, and you know that's not true of the real cars. I've never seen a stock version of this kit, only the racer. I don't think it can be built stock. 

I didn't buy the Welly Capri I saw so never got to measure it or compare it with anything else, but it seemed to fit in with the other 1/24 cars on the shelf. If it had had the US round headlights, I'd have bought it. Maybe still will, someday, if the mood strikes me. 

A good number of the Otaki kits of that era list scale as 1/28 on the box. I would presume the Capri is also

On 11/18/2018 at 6:02 AM, 1972coronet said:

Once it's released , I can pirate its chassis and use it under my '74 Vega annual ! 

And I want it for the rest! So when it comes out, I'll trade you. Pro stock chassis for stock annual chassis. 

Actually, I already have a complete chassis from the Twister Vega, John. If you want to do some tradin'?

PM me

On 11/16/2018 at 11:50 PM, Casey said:

Polar Lights 960 -- 1/25 Coca-Cola VW Beetle (Snap)

Was just doing some research in anticipation of getting a couple of these and discovered that apparently it's really 1/24. Sigh. Oh well, guess I'll have to track down an old Revell. :angry:

14 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Was just doing some research in anticipation of getting a couple of these and discovered that apparently it's really 1/24. Sigh. Oh well, guess I'll have to track down an old Revell. :angry:

Depends on what year you want. I don't Revell ever did any pre 67 Beetles.

14 hours ago, Snake45 said:

1/24th is the correct scale for a Beetle, would seem weird in 1/25th.  The Revell of Germany and Tamiya ones are 1/24th also.