Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mark Donohue Javelin AMX

OldTrucker

22 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

Where have you been hiding that!! I wish that kit was still around. It's simple but builds into a nice model. Well done! 

Dave, I built this one out on the road driving truck!

Painted the white at home where I stopped for the night before heading out to Madison Wi, painted the red at a rest area the next day when I ran out of hours, painted the blue in the parking lot at the Budweiser Plant while waiting for my dock time, Put on the decals in a booth in a truck stop at 2am thanks to the waitress who kept bringing me coffee and furnished me with a cup of hot water while I waited for a tire repair on the trailer painted the rest of the parts on my way to Minneapolis and finished the kit the morning after  I got back home to Portage Wi!

One of only two I ever built that way.

2 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi!

Interesting story, and great result.

One question: was-it a Johan kit? If so, they surface ont the web occasionnaly, but at a fairly high price. 

CT

I have one in an AMT box, so AMT released it, too. 

Very interesting story on the build..... no way would I attempt something like that, so yeah, don't change a thing on it.  I love the fact that it is a rare Race Car that you only see in classic racing magazines and websites.  I will have to be on the lookout for a kit of that car.  Nice job.

For those of you looking for one of these, I just came across an odd listing on ePay. Guy's talking about "2 of the 4 tape strips are intact," but it's not factory tape, so who cares? "As far as I can tell, all the parts are inside." How could he possibly know? If you want one, might be worth dropping this guy a line and asking him to open up the box and look inside Might or might not be a Javelin model in there. A mystery! :huh::wacko:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMX-Javelin-Trans-Am-Road-Racer-Model-Kit-Geo-Follmers-Racer/183842088153?hash=item2acdd7a4d9:g:WlMAAOSw9ylc~UvX

DISCLAIMER: I have no connection with or knowledge of this seller or deal. 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

For those of you looking for one of these, I just came across an odd listing on ePay. Guy's talking about "2 of the 4 tape strips are intact," but it's not factory tape, so who cares? "As far as I can tell, all the parts are inside." How could he possibly know? If you want one, might be worth dropping this guy a line and asking him to open up the box and look inside Might or might not be a Javelin model in there. A mystery! :huh::wacko:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMX-Javelin-Trans-Am-Road-Racer-Model-Kit-Geo-Follmers-Racer/183842088153?hash=item2acdd7a4d9:g:WlMAAOSw9ylc~UvX

DISCLAIMER: I have no connection with or knowledge of this seller or deal. 

Could be the jackpot or booby prize.  Scotch tape does not make it a sealed kit.  Pictures of the contents are a must.

On 6/8/2019 at 8:48 PM, Snake45 said:

I have one in an AMT box, so AMT released it, too. 

The '71 version was sold in AMT packaging only.  There was a '70 version issued before it, that one was in a Jo-Han box.  Both were manufactured by Jo-Han.