Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

14 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

^^^ Nice going! What brand of resin did you use?

Smooth-On, Smooth Cast 305.  Seven minute pot life and 30 min. cure time. I am pleased with the results since I don’t have a vacuum chamber or pressure pot!? There were a few bubbles, but I stirred most of them out with a toothpick after pouring it in the mold. It is clear until it starts to set.  I did about 10 rims plus all that with 2 oz. of resin and still had some leftover. The rally rims came out beautiful!?

CB444710-DE7E-4113-8237-824D9187DDBF.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

9 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Smooth-On, Smooth Cast 305.  Seven minute pot life and 30 min. cure time. I am pleased with the results since I don’t have a vacuum chamber or pressure pot!? There were a few bubbles, but I stirred most of them out with a toothpick after pouring it in the mold. It is clear until it starts to set.  I did about 10 rims plus all that with 2 oz. of resin and still had some leftover. The rally rims came out beautiful!?

Did you also use a Smooth-on material for your mold?

On 4/19/2020 at 6:30 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

Made the chassis and bumpers fit the Skylark, pretty much. Looks like if I glue in the firewall just at the top and let it cure, I can pull in the sides by gluing the ends of the firewall to them. 

Did so; ended up having to relieve the joints a bit at the bottom so the sides wouldn't pull in too much. Got the interior bucket fitted after that - had to sand the top edge where it meets the firewall flange. Started removing the chrome blobs in the taillight buckets to accept the Acme Resins clear red lenses.

It was yesterday but I finished another long ago started kit; this one is the reissued MPC Chuck Miller Fire Truck. I corrected the engine's valve covers to represent the Chevy that comes in the kit, not the Ford engine of the real car that's illustrated on the box art( the kit is based off of the old AMT King T), put in a steering wheel rather than the kit's tiller and used the King Bee headlamps from the Revell '32 Ford coupe. It's not one of my best efforts, but it's done.

So I airbrushed my first pieces ever ! They are for the belvedere Ive been sloowly working on. I bought a fairly cheap set to begin with, but it seemed to go really well. Can tell there's gonna be a learning curve as to how far back to full the trigger for paint to come out and be nice and smooth, but for a first effort I think it came out pretty well. I'll post a pic tomorrow when it's dry. I used little testors in the bottle and lacquer thinner to thin it at about a 1 1/2 to 1 paint /thinner ratio

Started a pair of Jeepsters today. One will be a pickup and the other will be a convertible with a backseat. Working with what I have on hand, and because i already have an interior In this color, the pickup will be red. Not sure about Jeepster two just yet.

So far I pieced together two vehicles from boxes of parts including a couple of the later Commandos. I have cleaned up two bodies this afternoon. The hoods have a scoop cut out that’s exceptionally deep and can be seen as a distortion from the top of the hood. These are sitting filled with thick CA drying.  We are on our way!

7411FCF6-A5E5-4407-A384-CB1147978D26.jpeg

Edited by Tom Geiger