Model Cars Magazine Forum

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussions

Dave Ambrose

We've had multiple Coronavirus topics spring up. Many of them are turning political.

As you should all know by now, political discussions are prohibited. There are better places to discuss those topics, they don't have anything to do with model cars, and they get contentious with no real resolution even possible. 

At this point, we are prohibiting any further discussion of the Coronavirus epidemic and locking any topics relating to them. However, please do post about event cancellations that relate to the model car community. Likewise, I'm leaving open topics that relate to the effects. Please do not turn them political. Any discussion about whether this epidemic should be considered serious, or about the government's response will be deemed political. At the very least, your post will be hidden, and you may garner yourself further sanctions if you persist. 

I appreciate everyone's cooperation. If you have any questions, please contact me, or one of the other moderators. 

Well the IL. Governor is shutting down the state starting tomorrow afternoon.

Really sucks, now I'll be stuck at home doing the same things that  I have been doing every day for the past 7+ years!LOL

On a real note kind of sad because with the wife's health problems like COPD, asthma and heart issues the kids have all told her to stay on the safe side they will be staying away for a while and the wife really is upset because that means no grandkids for a while.

15 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

Well the IL. Governor is shutting down the state starting tomorrow afternoon.

Really sucks, now I'll be stuck at home doing the same things that  I have been doing every day for the past 7+ years!LOL

On a real note kind of sad because with the wife's health problems like COPD, asthma and heart issues the kids have all told her to stay on the safe side they will be staying away for a while and the wife really is upset because that means no grandkids for a while.

Hey Johnny

I'm in the same situation with my wife. COPD and ASTHMA thankfully no heart issues. Recently I signed up on Facebook and we've started video chatting, not the same as being there but we can at least see the Gran Kids cute smiling faces.

Ran to Hobby Lobby yesterday to get some paints I was running low on and wound up picking up a Freightliner SD/DD kit too.

Wanted to make sure that I didn't run out of paint while things are shut down and we are shut in!LOL

We don't go out of the house much any way other than to the grocery store or the doctors office or an occasional drive out in the country so this isn't that much of a change for us.

34 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

Lets face it fellow builders as modelers some of us have been in training for social distancing for decades !!

Ain't it the truth! :lol: 

Now, watch me run out of some ABSOLUTELY VITAL paint or glue I need to drive on. Oh you KNOW it's gonna happen.....:angry:

When I was doing some "might be the last shopping I do for a couple of weeks" yesterday, I did remember to grab a bottle of Loctite super glue.  I didn't remember how old the current one is, though I usually write the purchase date on the label.  Forgot to do that with the current one.

9 minutes ago, Mark said:

When I was doing some "might be the last shopping I do for a couple of weeks" yesterday, I did remember to grab a bottle of Loctite super glue.  I didn't remember how old the current one is, though I usually write the purchase date on the label.  Forgot to do that with the current one.

Every so often, when I'm at Walmart for the weekly grocery shopping, I grab another super glue or Loctite Super Glue Gel (ask for it by name) or J-B Weld or pack of Silver Sharpies, especially if I can't remember the last time I bought them. Can't be running out of The Essentials! B)

13 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Every so often, when I'm at Walmart for the weekly grocery shopping, I grab another super glue or Loctite Super Glue Gel (ask for it by name) or J-B Weld or pack of Silver Sharpies, especially if I can't remember the last time I bought them. Can't be running out of The Essentials! B)

I've tried using superglue on styrene but it doesn't seem to hold. What's the secret ?

16 minutes ago, Ctmodeler said:

I've tried using superglue on styrene but it doesn't seem to hold. What's the secret ?

Some of it works, some seems not to sometimes. All I can tell you is try another brand. My "standard" is the Walmart generic 4-pack. Each tube seems to go bad long before it's empty, but it's so cheap that doesn't bother me. The Loctite stuff seems to last longer. 

On 3/21/2020 at 2:05 PM, Ctmodeler said:

You are probably trying to use it the way you would conventional plastic cement.  I use CA glue almost exclusively on all my builds.

First of all, make sure the plastic is clean (grease free), then use CA and accelerator.  Accelerator is the key.  BSI brand is the best (often sold as as your local hobby store brand).

BSI is Bob Smith Industries. Look it up on the web.

Edited by peteski

On 3/22/2020 at 10:01 PM, HomerS said:

One would think the dogs would be happy I'm working from home.  But if they are not my full attention....not so much!  (The other two weren't even in the room!)

03 20 Brian.jpg

03 20 Jamie.jpg

Ah,poor guys,they’re probably depressed like the rest of the planet.I’m in NY,and man all it did was rain all day.No it actually poured all day.?,with some damaging winds..Also,Anybody believe in chem trails,or whatever you call them?My two buddies swear the government is behind this whole thing to curve the population by literally exterminating the elderly,little by little.Idk bout all that,but these are some weird looking so called “clouds”,and they just appeared while I was outside yesterday.Not that I’m saying I believe in any of that.??

B3F31D41-85ED-4A77-8949-2C2D69DB0E78.jpeg

465F3A53-109E-43BA-A976-2D746B58799B.jpeg

ADCA0F68-FA42-4C16-9DE5-206BC565F79D.jpeg

F2E6C319-3F87-4183-972C-A9634A0EF1F3.jpeg

Edited by NYLIBUD