Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do I black wash a grille ?

I tend to use tamiya light smoke  (number 19 i think but could be wrong about that) and a brush over the kit chrome and over auto acrylics. It doesn't tend to sit on the high points and gives a nice effect on grilles. I have some ak washes too but i haven't tried them yet

Tamiya has some nice washes called Panel Line Accent. They are available in black, grey, and brown. They are enamel, so not recommended to use over other enamels. 

I frequently make a wash by mixing acrylic black with alcohol, about 10:1 alcohol to paint. You cane make it more thin or less thin to suit your purpose. Gloss black makes a smoother flowing wash ,  but flat black often makes for a better appearance when dry, depending on application. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SCRWDRVR said:

I use black waterbased acrylic. it won't mess up the chrome and if you get it somewhere you don't want it you just wipe it off. After it dries you can even clean spots you don't want, it will come right off and not damage the chrome...

Same here. I just squirt out a drop of cheap craft acrylic matte black (it's thick) and thin it with a drop of water. Flows right in, excess scrapes right off with a toothpick. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SCRWDRVR said:

I use black waterbased acrylic. it won't mess up the chrome and if you get it somewhere you don't want it you just wipe it off. After it dries you can even clean spots you don't want, it will come right off and not damage the chrome...

Same here. I don't thin it at all so it will cover well.

This can be done a few ways, but the best imo, is using Vallejo Air acrylic paint. The good thing about it is, if you mess up, you can just wash it off, and start over, as the paint is water based. After it has dried, you can use a Tamiya swab, or tooth pick, to remove paint from the high points to add detail. The only thing is though, I’d recommend giving your work a mist of dull cote, or flat clear, to seal it, as the acrylic paint will want to easily get scratched, or marred, and try to flake off.  You can do this same technique with a flat black spray paint, but you would need to wipe the areas you want exposed before the paint dries. I’ve also used Tamiya Panel Line Accent, which is an enamel base. This stuff will flow very well with capillary action. You might want to do a few applications using this technique though. 
The superbee parts are done with Vallejo paint, and the thunderbolt items are done with panel line accent. 

8FA280CB-4D62-483A-901B-BC606DCAB3A0.jpeg

FD2A843F-0404-46A1-AD02-C10A19FEF1C0.png

Edited by Brutalform
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, SCRWDRVR said:

This is what I use as well.

Easy to find, cheap, and a bottle will last forever.

I'm still using a bottle of black Ceramcoat acrylic that I bought 25 years ago or more!

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SCRWDRVR said:

Yep ?

4 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

This is what I use as well.

Easy to find, cheap, and a bottle will last forever.

I'm still using a bottle of black Ceramcoat acrylic that I bought 25 years ago or more!

Steve

After seeing the awesome builds Steve produces. I am changing to his method.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SCRWDRVR said:

Same for me.

7 hours ago, Brutalform said:

This can be done a few ways, but the best imo, is using Vallejo Air acrylic paint. The good thing about it is, if you mess up, you can just wash it off, and start over, as the paint is water based. After it has dried, you can use a Tamiya swab, or tooth pick, to remove paint from the high points to add detail. The only thing is though, I’d recommend giving your work a mist of dull cote, or flat clear, to seal it, as the acrylic paint will want to easily get scratched, or marred, and try to flake off.  You can do this same technique with a flat black spray paint, but you would need to wipe the areas you want exposed before the paint dries. I’ve also used Tamiya Panel Line Accent, which is an enamel base. This stuff will flow very well with capillary action. You might want to do a few applications using this technique though. 
The superbee parts are done with Vallejo paint, and the thunderbolt items are done with panel line accent. 

8FA280CB-4D62-483A-901B-BC606DCAB3A0.jpeg

FD2A843F-0404-46A1-AD02-C10A19FEF1C0.png

Can I subcontract you to do all my blackwash work? Mine look pretty good, but yours, just....:wub:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ctmodeler said:

I do have some craft black acrylic. When it's time I'll dilute it and post the results and if it sucks it will wash off ! Lol

Black craft paint works great. I also make a wash using Liquitex Soft Body artists paints ( acrylic), this adheres stronger but the process is the same, dilute to a wash brush it on. You can see it wash off the high points and settle into the lows of the grill, you don't need any thinner than that, if it flows thats great.. Don't worry that it looks puddled too deep it will flatten out as it dries. Then you can polish up the high areas. Works the same for craft paint or the Liquitex artist paint though except as I mentioned the artist paint has more bond. What I use is largely based off my mood at the time or if I have to dig for something when the other is on my bench already lol.  Folk Art Licorice black works nice fwiw. As does Liquitex Mars Black.

Edited by Dave G.

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, deuces wild said:

Hey guys... Can I use Testors acrylic black and thin it water or Windex or maybe a combination of both thinners???... I'm still learning about this stuff.... Testors is all I have on hand...🙄

You can use basically anything.

This is Testors flat black enamel thinned with mineral spirits.

4E88F06B-0A9E-4E85-9FC2-9530D2ACFA79.thumb.jpeg.f66d00dabf529a8ff1fe2ecbaa336f57.jpeg

Steve

• Like 1

Just to add a little info...for my first washes, I tried "The Detailer" pre-mixed black wash and was sorely disappointed.

It dried glossy, not at all the look I wanted

It also began flaking off of instrument faces after a couple of months.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your input... One more question... Can I use 91% iso alky for a thinner with the Testors acrylic black paint???... Or, will that ruin the chrome on the front grill or chrome wheels???..🧐

Edited by deuces wild

That is where the naming gets confusing.  Testors ACRYLIC paint will not play well with mineral spirits or similar solvents.  It is what I call a water-based paint.  Alcohol might curdle it. Try on a small amount of paint to see if it will work.  I would also try plain distilled water or maybe Windex.  Best would be to use Testors ACRYLIC paint thinner.

None of the thinners (or paint) mentioned above should harm the kit's chrome.

1 hour ago, john sharisky said:

I have good luck with non-waterproof black ink.

429665143_890974856113136_5659278900035723949_n.jpg

Me too!  For a more subtle wash, or for small parts, I like black India ink, and I mix up some artist’s acrylic as people above recommended for something larger like a grille 

9 hours ago, deuces wild said:

Thanks guys for your input... One more question... Can I use 91% iso alky for a thinner with the Testors acrylic black paint???... Or, will that ruin the chrome on the front grill or chrome wheels???..🧐

I would stay away from using alcohol on the chrome, it does strip the chrome off. I use acrylics and use windshield washer fluid (winter formula) for thinning all my acrylics, especially for airbrushing.

• Thanks 1