Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who Would Ship A Kit Without Packing It In A Box???

13 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

"Who Would Ship A Kit Without Packing It In A Box???"

Never underestimate the incompetence of stupidity, or the carelessness of greed.

Since I learned this, I'm not a lot happier, but I'm less surprised by sheer idiocy.

I like this statement. Also, a good rule of thumb, keep your expectations of people low, that way you’ll never be disappointed. 

10 hours ago, Bucky said:

I recently received a Polyglass Gasser Pontiac kit from an eBay seller with a 99.8% rating and over 154,000 feedback. It came in a bubble pack yellow envelope. The main problem with that is the mail carrier decided to cram it in the mailbox instead of putting it where she normally puts boxed packages. When I opened the package, I found one end of the kit box was crushed in a bit. After opening the kit, I found no damage to any parts.  However, I don't think I'll buy from that eBay seller again.

Reminds me of the time the mail carrier at my old house crammed a package in to my mailbox- they would put them in from a common door at the back, which opened wide. The individual door on my own mailbox didn't open as wide. I had to take a pocket knife out to the mailbox to cut the box up from the inside just to get it and it's contents out. That was fun.   

14 hours ago, Bucky said:

I recently received a Polyglass Gasser Pontiac kit from an eBay seller with a 99.8% rating and over 154,000 feedback. It came in a bubble pack yellow envelope. The main problem with that is the mail carrier decided to cram it in the mailbox instead of putting it where she normally puts boxed packages. When I opened the package, I found one end of the kit box was crushed in a bit. After opening the kit, I found no damage to any parts.  However, I don't think I'll buy from that eBay seller again.

We have the same issue with soft-cover books in mailing envelopes being crammed into the mailbox.

I've bought and sold a lot of kits on the auction site.  For most domestic kits, I've found the Priority Mail Regional Box A is the perfect size for one kit.  I wrap the kit in paper and or bubble wrap, slide them in the box and ship them that way.  

On 7/8/2020 at 9:34 PM, Tom Geiger said:

I ordered my Revell Land Rover from an outfit in UK. I shows up with a leantoo of cardboard wrapped around it, open on the ends. The very act of wrapping it like that damaged the box. Fortunately the kit was fine. 

And then you get other stuff triple boxed and prepped to survive a nuclear blast.  

On 7/8/2020 at 8:48 PM, stitchdup said:

There's one shop in the uk that just used brown paper, I stopped ordering from them after 3 kits arrives squashed and they tried to say it was sent in a box. Now i take photos of the packaging as i open them

Please let us know who these businesses are.  We can then either avoid using them, or request that they pay some attention to packing,

15 minutes ago, dodgefever said:

Please let us know who these businesses are.  We can then either avoid using them, or request that they pay some attention to packing,

Unfortunately I cant remember who it was, I've made a lot of purchases from ebay in the last six months and i would hate to name the wrong shop in error. All I know for sure is it was a shop in the uk and a euro/japanese style box. I will say the vast majority of sellers on ebay uk do pack pretty well

44 minutes ago, JJ Deuce said:

I've bought and sold a lot of kits on the auction site.  For most domestic kits, I've found the Priority Mail Regional Box A is the perfect size for one kit.  I wrap the kit in paper and or bubble wrap, slide them in the box and ship them that way.  

Recycled Amazon "A3" boxes work well also. Gives a little room for padding, but isn't overkill.

On 7/9/2020 at 10:13 AM, High octane said:

Over the years whenever I had to mail a kit or parts, I packed and shipped them so they would be received in good condition JUST like I would want to receive them. Makes perfect sense to me.

This is how I do it too. Thousands of items over the years. ONE time I was rushing and skimped slightly on a Johan Cadillac Convertible and didn't properly support the windshield area and it bit me in the rear end. Arrived with a smashed roof. The buyer was nice about it and I did everything I could to make it right, via refund and return postage etc. But the other thing about people who ship things poorly is they are often indignant when you go looking for a refund or replacement.

2 hours ago, larman said:

This is how I do it too. Thousands of items over the years. ONE time I was rushing and skimped slightly on a Johan Cadillac Convertible and didn't properly support the windshield area and it bit me in the rear end. Arrived with a smashed roof. The buyer was nice about it and I did everything I could to make it right, via refund and return postage etc. But the other thing about people who ship things poorly is they are often indignant when you go looking for a refund or replacement.

If I remember correctly I received a convertible kit from Modelhaus with a broken windshield frame and they did replace the body and supported the frame the second time, they was that it should've been done the first time. Excellent products and service from Modelhaus as expected.

I've received two convertible kits in the last two months that were packed well enough, but still had broken windshield frames when they got to my house. I sent both sellers pics of the damage, and they were kind enough to offer partial refunds.

22 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Unfortunately I cant remember who it was, I've made a lot of purchases from ebay in the last six months and i would hate to name the wrong shop in error. All I know for sure is it was a shop in the uk and a euro/japanese style box. I will say the vast majority of sellers on ebay uk do pack pretty well

You should be able to find it in your order history on the site or in the app.

6 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I went through my eBay purchases and my Paypal account.. still can’t figure out who it was!

I'm looking at my ebay purchase history now on my PC and can see who each item was sold by, and unless you ordered more than one kit from different vendors, you should be able to see the vendor.

On 7/11/2020 at 5:18 PM, Tom Geiger said:

I went through my eBay purchases and my Paypal account.. still can’t figure out who it was!

I ordered my LR's from "shop4megastore" in the UK.  Does that ring a bell?  I was also digging thru eBay and old emails...then the Law Of Serendipity struck!  The outfit sent me a new email.  Here's their home page:

https://www.shop4megastore.com/sale/clearance/collectables-and-hobbies

If anyone is interested, Hobbylinc here in the USA currently has the Revell Land Rover for $27.59.

I got one the other day from an ebay seller... basically in a plastic bag... crushed... luckily the kit has a small parts count so everything was just pushed to one side. doesn't appear to be any damage. I hate when stuff isn't in a box... even more than I hate people that use packing peanuts lol.