Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

13 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Was I THAT obvious?!?!?!?! Yes...I was!!!  I thought that the kit was issued once, no vinyl tires.....and if need be issue it w/o chromed, easy reissue. But the GREAT chrome in the Chopper I am sure UNREAL will get it too! thx

Yes, but nothing wrong with that at all. Atlantis will have no trouble selling them out. Looks like it could be molded in the same color they molded the King Chopper II in, too.

3 hours ago, Len Woodruff said:

Thanks. Did they get all of the 1/16 Revell Funny Car molds like the Grand Am etc?

2 hours ago, Dave Van said:

All tooling that was in the USA.....if it went to China to be run RoG has it.  Was the Grand Am molded in USA???

Presumably, the 1/16 Revell F/C mold (and various inserts for the different bodies, wheels, and injectors) is all now in Atlantis' possession. The most recent reissue, the '71/2 Hawaiian Charger F/C, was molded stateside in 2014, so I feel confident Atlantis has everything.

It will be interesting to see if they also acquired the new tire molds, too, which debuted in the circa 2014 Hawaiian kit. Presumably either new or modified wheels would be needed for the forthcoming 1/16 Jingle Jim Vega reissue, or all-new tires to match the existing wheels...or they could reissue it with the same American five-spokes and bear claw rear wheels as seen on the Hawaiian reissue and Green Elephant:

ge1.jpg.b175f43e2dc16d701187aa0eb45c03f0.jpg

Edited by Casey

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Besides the Eldorado, those two airliners are of the most interest to me on that list.

The 990 was one of the fastest liners ever made. Near supersonic. Only liners faster were the Concord and it's Russian cousin.

Although it's mostly a car forum, most of us build other subjects from time to time as well.

I'm the same way. I primarily build aircraft and space. Cars are a small portion of the hobby for me!

Mooneyes Dragster is going to be on top of my list of "Must Have kits", I've wanted to have one for years but never found one around here. Also the '57 Cadillac Eldorado is interesting, I'll probably grab one of those as well.

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

I see a few that interest me.How far from stock is the el camino funny kit

It's about as far from stock as it could possibly be, the nose is stretched, the bed is molded closed and there are louvers that follow the end curve of the C pillar instead of the coved rear window. It looks really cool but if you want a stock El Camino there are much easier ways to get one.

2 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

It's about as far from stock as it could possibly be, the nose is stretched, the bed is molded closed and there are louvers that follow the end curve of the C pillar instead of the coved rear window. It looks really cool but if you want a stock El Camino there are much easier ways to get one.

Thanks, I'm needing some drag cars in the stash so was hoping its full on rather than a modified 3 in 1 kit

9 hours ago, Casey said:

Presumably, the 1/16 Revell F/C mold (and various inserts for the different bodies, wheels, and injectors) is all now in Atlantis' possession. The most recent reissue, the '71/2 Hawaiian Charger F/C, was molded stateside in 2014, so I feel confident Atlantis has everything.

It will be interesting to see if they also acquired the new tire molds, too, which debuted in the circa 2014 Hawaiian kit. Presumably either new or modified wheels would be needed for the forthcoming 1/16 Jingle Jim Vega reissue, or all-new tires to match the existing wheels...or they could reissue it with the same American five-spokes and bear claw rear wheels as seen on the Hawaiian reissue and Green Elephant:

ge1.jpg.b175f43e2dc16d701187aa0eb45c03f0.jpg

Casey, Jeff Faris and Dave Holmes have been working with Atlantis ever since a hint of this reissue was talked about. They are doing an entirely new tooling for the tires along with possibly a few other parts, if I read correctly. Also, Chuck Boerner is doing the decals for the kits. 

On 10/21/2020 at 11:57 PM, Modelbuilder Mark said:

oH MAN, flashback to childhood. My brother and I had the Smash up Derby's and this is one of the ones we had.

Fun fact, YES, that gyroscopic wheel most certainly entangle/twist its rubber wheel VERY well into your brother's long hair.....

Gee, I wonder how you would know that?? ??

16 minutes ago, lordairgtar said:

9, 10, and 11 interest me. Route 32 1/32 scale kits. 82 Camaro, 71 Firebird and 69 Nova. Are these the old Monogram kits?

Yes. I don't think any of those three have been available since the early to mid-eighties.

71ta.jpg.c9f15b2c1e8d8d138bcc49d6ee76957a.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

15 hours ago, 1320wayne said:

Casey, Jeff Faris and Dave Holmes have been working with Atlantis ever since a hint of this reissue was talked about. They are doing an entirely new tooling for the tires along with possibly a few other parts, if I read correctly. Also, Chuck Boerner is doing the decals for the kits. 

Hmmm, I rather liked the new tires and slicks Revell created for the 2014 Hawiaan release, not to mention the all-new matching wheels. I hope we still get the new wheels, and not the old two-piece Cragar Super Trick(?) style wheels nearly all the Revell 1/16 F/C kits previously included.

54 minutes ago, Casey said:

Hmmm, I rather liked the new tires and slicks Revell created for the 2014 Hawiaan release, not to mention the all-new matching wheels. I hope we still get the new wheels, and not the old two-piece Cragar Super Trick(?) style wheels nearly all the Revell 1/16 F/C kits previously included.

I bought a partly assembled Hawaiian to get the new tires and wheels.  The side panel of the kit box reads "made in USA, packaged in USA, wheels and tires molded in China".  Atlantis apparently did not get the tooling for the new wheels and tires, and will have to tool new ones again.  Personally, I didn't think the new tires and slicks were an upgrade, I just needed them for the particular car I want to build.

17 hours ago, 1320wayne said:

Good to see a kit in 1/16 of the Green Elephant Vega, great looking car and it ran hard, too.  I've always though it deserved to be a kit.  Jeff Farris and Dave Holmes - Atlantis picked some good people to go over the 1/16 kit.  The new wheels and tires in the 1/16 Charger Hawaiian funny car were an improvement over the originals, but still a little off.

10 hours ago, lordairgtar said:

Thanks. Those are so cool and difficult to find. Especially the Charger in that series. I have that and the Nova. Need the Trans Am and the 82 Camaro.

Yes, I think the Charger was last available as part of the three-kit combo kit, along with the '70 Superbird and '70 Challenger T/A. Because Atlantis has only GM licensing, we'll have to wait a few years to find out if they release the Charger (or Duster F/C, former Aurora Barracuda, etc.).

Here are the forthcoming 1/32 ex-Monogram kits featured in the '84 catalog:

Monogram1984Catalog2-vi.jpg

There are a couple "outliers" missing from Casey's lineup, the "street machine" version of the TA and a "customized" version of the Z/28.

The customized Z/28 has a TA shaker scoop cast into the hood and custom wheels, the TA has dual carb intake with Edelbrock style air cleaners and custom wheels.

I've always thought the wheels/tires appear a little small and don't fill up the wheel openings very well even though they photographed the models in a way that minimizes this issue.

The street machine parts in the Charger are outstanding (IMHO), the Hemi, Cragars and dual carbs with short velocity stacks were well done.

I would wish for Atlantis to "bonus" the custom parts into their new release of these kits.

FYI: anyone wishing to use the engines in these kits for kitbashing will have to cut the bottom half if the engine out of the chassis.

camaro-TA-32nd-scale.thumb.jpg.e1288e70820df01f3bdef5105a7837a3.jpg

Edited by blunc
more content

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Yes, I think the Charger was last available as part of the three-kit combo kit, along with the '70 Superbird and '70 Challenger T/A. Because Atlantis has only GM licensing, we'll have to wait a few years to find out if they release the Charger (or Duster F/C, former Aurora Barracuda, etc.).

Here are the forthcoming 1/32 ex-Monogram kits featured in the '84 catalog:

Monogram1984Catalog2-vi.jpg

Anyone who wants one of those Chargers would be the customer who didn't see anything wrong with the original Pro-Modeler kit ;)

13 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

Anyone who wants one of those Chargers would be the customer who didn't see anything wrong with the original Pro-Modeler kit ;)

To be fair, it is labeled as a "Street Machine", so no guarantees regarding stock roof height nor correct DLO.  ?

28 minutes ago, blunc said:

I've always thought the wheels/tires appear a little small and don't fill up the wheel openings very well even though they photographed the models in a way that minimizes this issue.

The blue Street Machine version of the T/A suffers from the same poor wheel offset/fitment:

Monogram1984Catalog23-vi.jpg

I believe the announced 1/32 Firebird F/C is the Don Prudhomme Pepsi Challenger kit, pictured here:

Monogram1984Catalog17-vi.jpg