Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Official EBay Discussion Thread

4 hours ago, misterNNL said:

Lee,you must have been at one of our Toledo NNL's the year we set out a faux can of the new infamous Clearview 2000. Someone made up a display board of pages from various kits that had been produced in both colored and clear. They were displayed side by side with the ridiculous claim that any colored part could be sprayed with it and would turn clear. We had a few " believers " who wanted to order it by the case! A fun time for sure. I still have a copy of the fake labels we made for this gag.

Actually I remember the gag from a April issue of SAE.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 1:18 PM, BlackSheep214 said:

The seller upped the asking price now to $70,000. I just put in an offer of $10😂

That's good business economics! List something, when it doesn't sell, raise the price to make up for the financial loss.

At this rate, he'll be up to 100k waiting for a sucker.

If you look at that seller's stats, they have been on ebay since 2020 and only have 9 feedbacks.

https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/asantiss?filter=feedback_page%3ARECEIVED_AS_SELLER

All the items sold were 1:1 automotive items.  Not sure what their goal is with those expensive models, and they might not be sure themselves.  I see lots of crazy stuff like this on eBay.  I used to ponder and scratch my head seeing similar listings, but at this point it is like "move along nothing to see here".  EBay now allows auction listings to linger for a very long  time, and I suspect that is what this seller will do. It will probably not sell.  I watched a similar type auction (for 1:64 scale diecast '77 T-bird for $100, which seemed outrageous to me). I watched that item being relisted for over a year, and it didn't sell.  Yes, I contacted that seller asking what made their kit worth $100 when in the meantime other identical models were selling for $20-30 in other listings.  He never replied.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Xingu said:

It's all fun and games, until the Russian mob comes knocking on your door.

21 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

OMG! Now you’re over-reacting. ROFL! Don’t take it too seriously.

It's a short ride for the Bratva from Brighton Beach to upstate. They're easy to recognize. Four big stupid bullymen with shaved heads wearing borscht-stained track suits crammed into a Mercedes. They don't knock on doors.

Edited by SfanGoch
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

It's a short ride for the Bratva from Brighton Beach to upstate. They're easy to recognize. Four big stupid bullymen with shaved heads wearing borscht-stained track suits crammed into a Mercedes. They don't knock on doors.

Those guys helped me with illegal cable T.V. and with a Frogger console on which I had the high score. 

• Haha 1

On 1/25/2022 at 4:46 PM, SfanGoch said:

Yup. Those are dead giveaways. ROFLMAO!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm always in awe of the folks who'll bid in $1 increments hours or days before the end of an auction.

Do you really think that nobody else is going to bump your bid by another dollar in 3 days? Really?

All it accomplishes is running the price up needlessly...so of course it's encouraged by eBay: "Bid NOW so you can get a deal !!!"

But logic isn't a strong seller these days.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'm always in awe of the folks who'll bid in $1 increments hours or days before the end of an auction.

Do you really think that nobody else is going to bump your bid by another dollar in 3 days? Really?

All it accomplishes is running the price up needlessly...so of course it's encouraged by eBay: "Bid NOW so you can get a deal !!!"

But logic isn't a strong seller these days.

Exactly!