Model Cars Magazine Forum

'49 Mercury The Plowboy Way

Plowboy

The subtle changes look good on it. The only thing I think it needs (or needed) was to lay the rear window down a bit to give it that "swoopy" look it got from the windshield being laid back. But that is just me, it still looks cool.. 

I was happy to see it wasn't that other Merc kit.... LOL

3 hours ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

Very nice work, Roger! Actually I liked the Foose wheels under the Merc body but I think you are right with the spoke wheels painted black will give it a mean look! Is it a Fujimi set? Or Aoshima?

I can't say for sure as I bought them some time ago. Pretty sure they're Aoshima.

3 hours ago, Sledsel said:

The subtle changes look good on it. The only thing I think it needs (or needed) was to lay the rear window down a bit to give it that "swoopy" look it got from the windshield being laid back. But that is just me, it still looks cool.. 

I was happy to see it wasn't that other Merc kit.... LOL

Thanx! I don't like how the laid down rear window looks. It wrecks the shape of the quarter windows and looks awkward IMO. If it hadn't been for saving me from having to lengthen the roof, I wouldn't have laid the windshield back.  

On 12/8/2020 at 6:13 PM, Plowboy said:

Very little bench time the last couple of days. But, the little I did get was fairly productive. After studying on the frame a bit, I decided that the best way to shorten the front without messing up the alignment or ride height was to make a simple horizontal cut. After some more precise measuring, I needed to shorten the frame 9 mms instead of 7. Using the top of the frame rails as a guide, I made my mark.

20201208_135155-1.jpg.7e43dd073b5b24c09861c10633b37310.jpg

Cut it loose. I also had to cut into the suspension cradle. And I had to cut the engine mounts loose to reposition later.

20201208_141538-1.jpg.584e3413eb891990802e1bc61a13e33f.jpg

Then I simply glued it back together in the new position. Once it's dried well, I'll cut the excess away.

20201208_183252-1.jpg.8d5cfbc28e9322c96b6924be23688969.jpg

The more I look at this setup though, the more I'm thinking about cutting it back off and do a makeover. The wonky angle of the frame rails and A arms surely leave a lot to be desired. It's going to depend on how much of it actually shows when it's all together. But, I'm sure not liking it at the moment.

I also got the the planned wheel and tires setup on the suspension and did the first true mockup.

20201208_155657-1.jpg.58a1f873e93465593538d99f537cd55e.jpg

I think these wheels will look wicked painted black and against the Pearl White I have planned.

I really agree with you Roger, and black wheel is the big style right now.. I love black wheels on white."

7 hours ago, slusher said:

I really agree with you Roger, and black wheel is the big style right now.. I love black wheels on white."

So do I Carl! My wife's Edge is Pearl White with a set of Dub Push wheels and a black grille. My son has a lifted white Explorer with black wheels.

8 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Those wheels and tires, both in style and size, really suite the sporty new proportions of the body. If that's the actual stance it's just right!

Thanx Dennis! It's really close to actual. The rear will raise maybe a mm. I may take the front down a touch more.

7 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Just enjoyed reading this through from start to finish. It's looking great Roger, and I like your considered, methodical approach to working through the modifications required.

I prefer those spoked wheels and tyres to the Foose set-up, with Steve H's smoked suggestion rather than going too dark.

Thanx Nigel! I'm pretty set on doing satin black on everything. That's just how my vision of it is.

43 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Nice proportions. Same instantly recognizable car with the bloat removed. Looking good, sir.

Thanx Bill! That's what I wanted to do with it. I didn't want to change the proportions. I just wanted to improve them. To me, there is such a thing as too many modifications. It's like a bad face lift when you can't even recognize the person afterwards.  

I'm not a big fan of the all black colored wheels, this may go back to when I could only afford black painted steel wheels. A little chrome or polished aluminum wheel lip and any raised edges on the wheel centers with a black or dark gray accent may look better. Just a matter of tastes but why put nice wheels on something and then try and make them disappear??  

On 12/11/2020 at 11:13 AM, espo said:

I'm not a big fan of the all black colored wheels, this may go back to when I could only afford black painted steel wheels. A little chrome or polished aluminum wheel lip and any raised edges on the wheel centers with a black or dark gray accent may look better. Just a matter of tastes but why put nice wheels on something and then try and make them disappear??  

I'm not sure if the entire wheel will be black. But, most of it will be. I have to paint them black first anyway. So, I can then decide how I want to highlight them if at all. 

On 12/10/2020 at 11:18 AM, gotnitro? said:

Fantastic work! I really had to look close to see your mods , just the way it should be !  

Looks like the wheel combo will be perfect  for your era and not over done 

Thanx Jeff! I think they'll look sinister against the white body and the disc brakes peeking through.

you sure have made the old boxy Merc. look fast standing still. Why not go one step further and take the "dip" out of the door, something no one seems to do anymore . All it takes is a little bit of Putty and it makes the body line smooth out. Just a suggestion, not a complaint. The car looks amazing!

On December 17, 2020 at 8:00 AM, lucky 130 said:

you sure have made the old boxy Merc. look fast standing still. Why not go one step further and take the "dip" out of the door, something no one seems to do anymore . All it takes is a little bit of Putty and it makes the body line smooth out. Just a suggestion, not a complaint. The car looks amazing!

Thanx! I thought about doing that. But, the dip in the door is such an identifiable feature of the 49 Mercury, I decided that I wanted to keep it. I want it to look almost stock. But better.

With my other two projects finished, I can concentrate on this one. I have a lot of little things done to it. But, they all add up. 

I have the hood and trunk fitted to the body. Now they line up just like they should. I also have the chassis and interior fitted. I still have to add the package shelf and modify the dash to fit. I originally planned to use the Mercury dash. But, I really like how the dash from the Caddy looks. The body is almost ready to have some primer shot on it. I can't wait to see see it all white!

20201226_113714-1.jpg.efee9d435bd4099f165cc6b2cead85d9.jpg

I'm not sure if I'll keep the bumper guards. To me, they're a little too much. I may see if the bumpers from the Revell Mercury will fit. The fit of the grille still needs some tweaking done to it. It and the frame rails aren't wanting to get along. The grille is also causing an issue with the core support. 

20201226_113856-1.jpg.76041795f474aa68d175e1fea175b473.jpg

I have the engine rough fit. I had to make a notch in the oil pan to clear the suspension cross member. Still have to add to the engine mounts and get them glued to the frame. 

20201226_113803-1.jpg.991fe5e7270ab1532016cab422881078.jpg