Model Cars Magazine Forum

'49 Mercury The Plowboy Way

Plowboy

9 hours ago, tbill said:

You make it look so darn easy, lol.

terrific mods that are so subtle it IS hard to see the difference without the side by side comparison, great work so far.

That's because it IS easy. If you look at it, all of the cuts are very simple. You just follow lines that are already there. 

The floor pan is beginning to fit. I need to get the rear suspension together and temp glue it to the frame to make sure I get the rear wheels centered. It looks like it needs to go rearward 3 or 4 mms. If it has to go back much more, I'll have to cut the tank loose and reposition it.

20201205_153506-1.jpg.31978dbfd741396364825164e8a8d6a6.jpg

Edited by Plowboy

19 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Yeah Kit, this model will be similar. I actually have plans to do a '49 Ford in that style.

This was actually my inspiration. 

icon-1949-mercury-coupe-ev-derelict-1.jpg.69649f7732ef1d2425b2a4e6b0edf549.jpg

I figured if Icon can stick an electric motor in a '49 Mercury and make it cool, surely I do something similar. I just want something a little more refined as well as sinister looking. I do love how that thing looks though.

You have mad skills, to quote ADL! Thanks for the follow up, Brother! -KK

7 hours ago, Dave72 said:

Very nice work on your mods! I really like the chassis  idea. Definitely going to keep that in mind.  Question for you, what tools are you using to make your cuts? 

Thanx! I use a scriber that I made from a dental pick, razor saw and a photo etch saw blade. 

Thanx to everyone for all of the feedback! I appreciate it! I have the rear of the floorpan cut to fit and the rearend taped in to make sure I have the rear wheels centered. Now I have to get the front worked out. The best I can figure is I need to take out around 7mms. It's gonna be tricky moving the suspension back and keeping the engine mounts where they need to be. I hogged out the inner wheel wells so the frame could go up. I'm thinking I'll use the Caddy's core support to replace them and maybe the firewall also. I was able to cobble it together to get a visual for the first time.

20201206_232523-1.jpg.ed228f7304dfed7da0f966b88eb47523.jpg

I like the way it's looking! I used the Foose wheels and have to admit that I kinda like them except for the red stripe and whitewalls. But, they don't suit the vision I have for it. The stance at the rear is how it will be. If I can get the front close to what it is now, I'll be happy with it.

I like how the body proportions have turned out with the way you have done this one. As for the wheels. Consider waiting until you have the body in color before altering them as they may look different against the Pearl White you mentioned earlier or what ever color you go with. Should you go with something other than white you may or may not want to use that as an accent color on the wheels instead of the red. Doing the line in black also might be an idea.  

1 hour ago, espo said:

I like how the body proportions have turned out with the way you have done this one. As for the wheels. Consider waiting until you have the body in color before altering them as they may look different against the Pearl White you mentioned earlier or what ever color you go with. Should you go with something other than white you may or may not want to use that as an accent color on the wheels instead of the red. Doing the line in black also might be an idea.  

Thanx David! I'm really just using these wheels for mockup purposes. I don't like the red line on the wheel at all. I am thinking about stripping them, painting them black and doing the lip and center cap with a Molotow pen. But, I would also have to paint the whitewalls to get rid of them. I don't know if painting the white walls black would look right. I think it would make the tires look too big. I want to paint the set I have in mind and see what they look like before I mess with the Foose wheels and tires. 

Very little bench time the last couple of days. But, the little I did get was fairly productive. After studying on the frame a bit, I decided that the best way to shorten the front without messing up the alignment or ride height was to make a simple horizontal cut. After some more precise measuring, I needed to shorten the frame 9 mms instead of 7. Using the top of the frame rails as a guide, I made my mark.

20201208_135155-1.jpg.7e43dd073b5b24c09861c10633b37310.jpg

Cut it loose. I also had to cut into the suspension cradle. And I had to cut the engine mounts loose to reposition later.

20201208_141538-1.jpg.584e3413eb891990802e1bc61a13e33f.jpg

Then I simply glued it back together in the new position. Once it's dried well, I'll cut the excess away.

20201208_183252-1.jpg.8d5cfbc28e9322c96b6924be23688969.jpg

The more I look at this setup though, the more I'm thinking about cutting it back off and do a makeover. The wonky angle of the frame rails and A arms surely leave a lot to be desired. It's going to depend on how much of it actually shows when it's all together. But, I'm sure not liking it at the moment.

I also got the the planned wheel and tires setup on the suspension and did the first true mockup.

20201208_155657-1.jpg.58a1f873e93465593538d99f537cd55e.jpg

I think these wheels will look wicked painted black and against the Pearl White I have planned.

On 12/7/2020 at 11:48 AM, Plowboy said:

Thanx David! I'm really just using these wheels for mockup purposes. I don't like the red line on the wheel at all. I am thinking about stripping them, painting them black and doing the lip and center cap with a Molotow pen. But, I would also have to paint the whitewalls to get rid of them. I don't know if painting the white walls black would look right. I think it would make the tires look too big. I want to paint the set I have in mind and see what they look like before I mess with the Foose wheels and tires. 

59 caddy wheels and tires?