Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building a model from SPARE PARTS ONLY!

As I rummage through my parts boxes, and leftover junk from kits, I wondered if anyone has interest in or have done the following:

• Built and finished a kit from ONLY spare parts from the kits that have been built by you
  • I think it could yield some interesting results.
  • For me, it would be a subject that I would typically NOT even consider, such as a hot rod or goofball street custom mish mash.
  • Would anyone be interested in a separate build "contest" or show and tell thread?

Thoughts?

• Like 1

http://giqvgOz.jpg 

Built this one a few years ago.  41 Willys pickup cab, 41 Chevy frame, flathead from somewhere, wheels/tires from 28 Lincoln, rear axle from some form of early Ford, scratchbuilt headers from wire and paintbrush ferrule (got it too long), scratchbuilt pick-up box, covered seat with blue/white striped corduroy ribbon.

Edited by TarheelRick
  • Like 2

I remember seeing more than a few interesting builds by other members of the Forum that used mostly parts left over from other builds. This would give you a chance for something you might not otherwise build.   

See, I rarely stray from a basic kit build.  When I was a teen, no problem, I would take ideas from Car Modeler and modify kits.  I like these ideas and images above, this is what I am thinking!!!!!

I need something a bit creative and goofy to get off my boring self.

Love the idea! Even as we speak I'm working on a build involving a '65 El Camino body that almost anyone else would have simply thrown away, and am finishing it using only spare or leftover or "junk" pars I'll never use on anything else. 

I think I get the most satisfaction modeling by making something different out of my left-over parts or bodies of cars that I have no desire to ever build. I've shown a couple of my previous builds along this vein. Here is a Dodge COE hauler that I made out of a 69' pick-up cab, '30 Ford Coupe rear fenders, engine from the Daytona Transporter, and the sides/bed from a Show Trailer.

539972463_DSC04798-Copy.JPG.5475a0a963279634cc9cb44c29ce98d7.JPG

I'm also turning a left-over '48 Ford Coupe body into a retro-future Flying Car ala The Fifth Element. Seats/interior out of the Daytona Transporter, 'jet' engines from a B17 plane model, etc.

1993857831_DSC04865-Copy.JPG.96ea24ae0ac2773f0b2c2e7e89eaaa50.JPG

• Like 1

It is a great way to stretch your imagination. 

Give yourself permission to to things that are "Wrong". Stuff you would never do normally. I've found as I get older, my "What-if" sense has been shrinking. So, I've been trying to push back on my dwindling sense of fun.

The Key (at least for me) is to Let myself go the way I did 40 years ago, when thoughts of "that would never work in real life" or "you can't do that" never crossed my mind.

Good Luck! I'll be waiting to see what you come up with.

I was just going through my parts boxes yesterday looking at what I had and came up with this.  It's a 29 Roadster body and the wheels are from the 66 Nova Pro Street. I was thinking it would make a wild looking little drag car.

20211029_165157.jpg

20211029_165209.jpg

• Like 1

That's something I've been wanting to do for some time. I have tons of left over custom bits and interior tubs but no body or chassis yet. I'll have to pick up a scrapper on the eBay, but yeah, I'd love to do a parts stash build off!

Edited by doorsovdoon

I've done many spare-parts builds over the years. Sometimes I think that's mainly what I do, but that can't be or how would I land up having the spare parts to use. LOL? Here are a few of my most recent ones. As was pointed out earlier, hot rods are ideal for this kind of project. Since I mainly build hot rods and customs that might explain why I've done so many spare parts builds.

This is my most recent spare parts build. It was the result of winning on eBay a huge box of spare Revell '32 Ford parts, virtually everything you'll find in those kits including motors, chassis, fenders, and interiors - everything but wheels and tires. The seller had started a channeled '32 Ford Roadster and I used his spare parts and stuff from my stash to build this 50's style hot rod.

DSCF8484-web.jpg

DSCF8491-web.jpg

At the start of 2021 I built this '32 Ford Phaeton from a Revell Tudor body that I had chopped over ten years ago and didn't like the result. I removed the top and built this 60's style "Pseudo-Phaeton" show car using a chassis from an AMT Phantom Vicky and the Nailhead Buick from the recent Revel '29/'30 Roadster/Coupe kits.

DSCF8151-web.jpg

DSCF8142-web.jpg

These two bucket rods were built using leftover '29 Ford Model Pickup buckets, the ones that come in the various AMT '29 Ford Roadster kits and were originally from the Ala Kart kits. They both have scratch built chassis and 100% of everything is from my spares box. The purple rat rod has a Revell small block Chevy and the dark red metallic show rod version  has a Revell Oldsmobile V8 from a Roth Beatnik Bandit. Both have front whitewalls that are the stock version tires in the AMT '34 Ford coupe kit, but mounted on different wheels, while the rear tires are from Revell '40 Ford Standards. Two each front and rear means I used up all 8 leftover tires!

DSCF7448-web-1024.jpg

DSCF7449-web-1024.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron
  • Like 2

On 11/4/2021 at 6:56 PM, Bernard Kron said:

I've done many spare-parts builds over the years. Sometimes I think that's mainly what I do, but that can't be or how would I land up having the spare parts to use. LOL? Here are a few of my most recent ones. As was pointed out earlier, hot rods are ideal for this kind of project. Since I mainly build hot rods and customs that might explain why I've done so many spare parts builds.

This is my most recent spare parts build. It was the result of winning on eBay a huge box of spare Revell '32 Ford parts, virtually everything you'll find in those kits including motors, chassis, fenders, and interiors - everything but wheels and tires. The seller had started a channeled '32 Ford Roadster and I used his spare parts and stuff from my stash to build this 50's style hot rod.

At the start of 2021 I built this '32 Ford Phaeton from a Revell Tudor body that I had chopped over ten years ago and didn't like the result. I removed the top and built this 60's style "Pseudo-Phaeton" show car using a chassis from an AMT Phantom Vicky and the Nailhead Buick from the recent Revel '29/'30 Roadster/Coupe kits.

These two bucket rods were built using leftover '29 Ford Model Pickup buckets, the ones that come in the various AMT '29 Ford Roadster kits and were originally from the Ala Kart kits. They both have scratch built chassis and 100% of everything is from my spares box. The purple rat rod has a Revell small block Chevy and the dark red metallic show rod version  has a Revell Oldsmobile V8 from a Roth Beatnik Bandit. Both have front whitewalls that are the stock version tires in the AMT '34 Ford coupe kit, but mounted on different wheels, while the rear tires are from Revell '40 Ford Standards. Two each front and rear means I used up all 8 leftover tires!

Nice builds!