Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1966 Mustang GT -- Original Annual & Modified Reissue

Casey

Even after the new kit touches down, mint originals will still sell for decent money to kit collectors, or people owning 1:1 Mustangs who want everything they can get their hands on.  The projects, partial kits, and builtups will come down to some extent (but still not completely, as some people will still want originals even if the new one is better).

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 6:41 AM, BobbyG said:

Paul, great outlook but we will see. Unfortunately, Round2's model kit product manager is a Trekie and not up to automotive knowledge. Hopefully they can add an automotive product manager.

I don't know him personally, but if all the Star Trek and Coca-Cola products pay for retooling of Olds F85s, Int'l 4070s and 66 Mustang FBs, then I say "Let him enjoy what he likes, he's greenlighting more than just Star Trek, so be it!"

Remember the Racing Champion days?

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

First look at the AMT1305 1966 Mustang GT Fastback test shot.   Tires shown are not finalized, so final content may be different.    Photos from my phone is the best that I can do for now.  Next time I'm at the office I'll see about additional photos.   

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

There're a few minor things needed before it will be approved for production, but I'd say were about 95% there.

-Steve

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

What Mr. Goldman has shown us above excites me to no end. It looks great. Classic old AMT. I love it. Mr. Goodman indicated it will probably come with different tires what is shown above. I hope so. And “stock” Mustang from that era really should be sitting on red lines in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldscool said:

Please tell me the exhaust  tips will not be molded to the rear pan as they appear to be in the pic although I may be misinterpreting what I see in the pic.

The rear valance panel design is nearly identical to the original 1966 annual with the tips molded in, except the placement is more accurate and there are now backup lamps which the annual kit was missing.  While not perfect I'd still call it an improvement.  Super detailers will want to drill them out and add short pieces of tubing to represent the tips better. 

-Steve

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, SteveG said:

The rear valance panel design is nearly identical to the original 1966 annual with the tips molded in, except the placement is more accurate and there are now backup lamps which the annual kit was missing.  While not perfect I'd still call it an improvement.  Super detailers will want to drill them out and add short pieces of tubing to represent the tips better. 

-Steve

Thanks for the reply. I have never laid eyes on an original kit.

21 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I'm not really a "Mustang Guy" but this is the kit I'm looking forward to most. 👍

I agree.

I'm not a Mustang guy either but this one looks like a must-have winner.

A first-gen-Mustang-GT mid-'60s dragger will look good on the shelf...

269ba6a4dfc089dafd5d37b8faa909f4.jpg

Edited by blizzy63
  • Like 1

One of the most iconic cars in history - world history - is at last being given its propers. I'd lost track of how many of the 1966 coupes I'd built over the last 40+ years; how many of the Monogram 1965-1966 fastbacks I'd built since the first release in 1984, 1985 (hard for me to accept that those Monogram [et al.] kits are almost 40 years old!).

Certainly, I'm not alone in hoping for period-correct speed parts for this kit.  So many possibilities! Drag, custom, road race, and other factory stock versions. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 9:57 PM, Snake45 said:

For a while there, I didn't let too many get away. At least not the ones that were even somewhat affordably priced. B)

I'm thinking of starting a thread up Under Glass showing all of them. Think there would be any interest in that? 

Don't remember if I ever filed that thread with all of them, but here are five I rescued in 2020: 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/23/2022 at 2:53 PM, SteveG said:

There're a few minor things needed before it will be approved for production, but I'd say were about 95% there.

-Steve

Steve, will the kit include all the same optional customizing and racing parts that the original annual had - for a true nostalgic build experience?

• Like 1