Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shelby American wins Eleanor lawsuit

I might be the only dissenting voice in this, but I could care less for that car. I am so sick and tired of that being the standard for vintage Mustangs. Plus I am sick of Gun Metal anything. The most overused and overplayed color for a car. 

Rant over. Your mileage may vary. 

• Like 6

I saw the headline about it on MSN. Didn’t click to read it but I agree 100% with Can-Con. It is a customized Mustang. It’s funny some folks can’t comprehend that a Shelby Mustang is still a Mustang. If it drives and growls like a Mustang, it’s a Mustang. The Shelby badge, stripes, body color is just cosmetic stuff on a freakin’ Mustang!

• Like 2

This whole thing makes no sense to me at all anyway.  The mustang name. likeness has been Fords sense before the first one sold. So how can her husband copyright anything to do with it and use a Name that has been around for 100's of years, all he created was a so so movie with a cool but unrealistic chase scene. 

I don't understand the fuss over this car. Yeah, it's a nice car, but it's a little played out and dated looking now. It reflects the tastes of car design from 20 years ago.

But I guess it's the only memorable part part from an otherwise forgettable remake of a somewhat forgettable cult movie.

I prefer the original car and movie to the remake anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

This whole thing makes no sense to me at all anyway.  The mustang name. likeness has been Fords sense before the first one sold. So how can her husband copyright anything to do with it and use a Name that has been around for 100's of years, all he created was a so so movie with a cool but unrealistic chase scene. 

Exactly. That lawsuit made about as much sense as me trying to sue all of the Roger's in the world because they're using "my" name. I actually went to school with another Roger Hays. We even had the same middle name. He just spelled his last name without the e. He even named his son after himself. So, there's three of us running around here!

5 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

I actually went to school with another Roger Hays. We even had the same middle name. He just spelled his last name without the e. He even named his son after himself. So, there's three of us running around here!

That 'other' Roger sounds like a Tool. I hope he isnt a good friend of yours.

• Confused 1

I don’t think Shelby is trying to claim that they own the design instead… more like no one else owns the design in a way that can stop them building replicas, if that’s what people want to buy… And clearly they think there’s the demand to make it worth doing. 

As Jaguar has demonstrated, it is possible to own an original car design, but I guess the judge has decided that the producer of a movie that featured a production car customised by someone else entirely doesn’t have a strong enough claim on the design to stop another company building one…

best,

M.

Shelby design basis, and fortunately, better lawyers than Halicki estate. Gone #1 Eleanor not pursued, just second one. That’s how I’d structure case, they used Eleanor on several cars, not one design. Seems like that’s what they did. Not an attorney, yadayada. Lol. 

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Why does Shelby have any claim to Eleanor? The original movie didn't use a Shelby at all, and none of the Mustang used in the remake were Shelbys either, just after market parts attached to regular ponies.

The car was referred in the movie as a Shelby even the Shelby likenesses we're used. 

Elanor is a 1973 Yellow Mustang Sportsroof.  Flat hood, base model hub caps. The gun metal thing is not Elanor in my book. 

I get it all the time. 'You made a '66 Elanor'!!!  NO  NO  NO!!!!  When I did the ground up resto in my 66 I wanted something other than white or blue. Ford Avalanche Gray was pretty new and I liked it. But I left off ALL scoops, hood, c pillar or side, hoping no one would even think it was Bad Elanor.....yet I still get it. Oh well. 

DSC04899.JPG

Edited by Dave Van
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

Elanor is a 1973 Yellow Mustang Sportsroof.  Flat hood, base model hub caps. The gun metal thing is not Elanor in my book. 

I get it all the time. 'You made a '66 Elanor'!!!  NO  NO  NO!!!!  When I did the ground up resto in my 66 I wanted something other than white or blue. Ford Avalanche Gray was pretty new and I liked it. But I left off ALL scoops, hood, c pillar or side, hoping no one would even think it was Bad Elanor.....yet I still get it. Oh well. 

DSC04899.JPG

Most young people do not even know what the first Eleanor was or have seen the movie.  They could have chosen any name but to carry it to the movie “remake” was to me not important since the about the only thing it had in common with the original was it was a Mustang.  So many people thought it was so cool and might not even recognize a real 67 Shelby anymore with all the movie clones out there.  I was not a fan the original car as it did not have the NACA hood and had the 73 grille.  You rarely seen clones of the original even though it would not be that expensive to replicate one.  My bet is if Halicki were still alive he would have not wanted to have anything to do with the remake and could care less about suing anyone.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

DSC04899.JPG

I feel you pain, Dave.

Some people see my T/A and say "Look, There's a Knight Rider car". even though it's not even black.  Makes me want to do violent things. 🤬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I feel you pain, Dave.

Some people see my T/A and say "Look, There's a Knight Rider car". even though it's not even black.  Makes me want to do violent things. 🤬

When I bought my black Formula, I quickly learned that 9 out of 10 people believe that any type of black Firebird is automatically a "Trans Am". 🙄 

After a year or two, I just gave up trying to correct them.