Model Cars Magazine Forum

1949 Ford Four-Door Custom - tribute to the first full custom car in Vancouver BC Canada

Phildaupho

2v2eHVKBFximYT.jpg2v2eHVKtyximYT.jpg2v2eHVKcrximYT.jpg

This model is a tribute to the first full custom car in Vancouver BC. Jack Williams started work on the car in 1951, completing most of the modifications by 1953 in time for the first Vancouver custom car show. The size of the ’37 Cadillac V-12 prevented the hood from closing so the car was always seen hoodless until a flathead engine was later installed. Although not restored this car is still in remarkable and drivable condition. It has been owned and preserved by the same guy for fifty years !!

BODY – AMT 1949 Ford 2-door coupe converted to a chopped 4-door. Replicas & Miniatures Buick side trim. Frenched headlights and taillights. 3-D Meteor grill from Maple-Leaf Modelworks. Smoothed bumpers with an over-rider on the rear through which the exhaust is routed.

INTERIOR – Seats and door panels from Revell ’49 Merc. A custom steering wheel made from two Revell ’49 Merc units.

ENGINE – 1937 Cadillac V-12 made by joining two Galaxie ’48 Chev 6-cylinder engines together connected to a ’49 Ford transmission

CHASSIS – Kit ’49 Ford with lowering blocks out back and interior floor attached

WHEELS & TIRES – Maybe Modelhaus Sombrero hubcaps with parts box wide white wall tires

PAINT – Mr. Color Metallic Green darkened. Tamiya Pure White between the side trim. Mr. Hobby Clear

Fortunately I did not glue the body to the chassis as I see by the photos the backseat has come loose.

For my  On the Bench thread 

1279830672_1955PNEparadeBCCustomCarAssoc.jpg.9dd335149d499bd2f2e66b7c21dc720f.jpg

Jack Williams 49 Ford (5).jpg

Edited by Phildaupho
  • Like 8

Hi  Phil,  I have not been on the forum much and totally missed the WIP on this, I will have a look later. Yet another great tribute/ replica build. You definitely have a knack for picking iconic cars and capturing them in scale. I love that green, my next build is likely going to be green, so I’ve been looking closely at anything green I see. Great build as always, keep ‘‘em coming sir!

Cheers, Steve

17 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Beautiful work!👍 You have certainly done it justice.😎

17 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Well Phil, you sure nailed that replica!!   Great job👌

16 hours ago, cobraman said:

Looks fantastic !

15 hours ago, Joe Nunes said:

Great looking model!  Thanks for sharing the photos with us. 

Joe

13 hours ago, Kah puts said:

Fantastic representation of a fabulous looking custom 👌 

12 hours ago, mr moto said:

OMG!! That hits me in ALL the right places! Wonderful work that truly captures the right look. I think I've seen that car in an old magazine. I have to look through my collection and try to confirm that. Great looking build!

A friend sent me a scan from a early 1950's Hot Rod but not sure of exact date. This was before the Buick side trim was added.

915024730_HotRodMagazine.thumb.jpg.4b9f6db9b83f9b76b44616eb9342b455.jpg

12 hours ago, Steve H said:

Hi  Phil,  I have not been on the forum much and totally missed the WIP on this, I will have a look later. Yet another great tribute/ replica build. You definitely have a knack for picking iconic cars and capturing them in scale. I love that green, my next build is likely going to be green, so I’ve been looking closely at anything green I see. Great build as always, keep ‘‘em coming sir!

Cheers, Steve

10 hours ago, bondo bill said:

Wow impressive build

7 hours ago, speedy5963 said:

Very nice build, came together very well!!

5 hours ago, XYHARRY said:

G'day Phil. I followed your wip and thoroughly enjoyed it. The Parts you used to build the V12 was ingenious. I look forward to your next project.

Cheers, David. 😎👍

4 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Looks great!!

4 hours ago, TooOld said:

Beautiful work , it looks awesome !  Love the paint finish and the Buick side trim .

3 hours ago, Zippi said:

Nice looking Shoebox Ford.  I like the two tone.  Great job.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your comments. Jack Williams was a master bodyman and engine builder. I was inspired seeing a couple of his cars that have been restored at a Hot Rod Reunion last summer. Before building the 49 Ford I completed a model of his dragster. I could not resist taking a photo of the two together.

2v2eHVKAMximYT.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, slusher said:

Absolutely gorgeous!

10 hours ago, spencer1984 said:

Excellent work!

2 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Super nice build!

Thanks guys. The car did not run a hood until the Cadillac V-12 was replaced with a flathead and was sold. It still has a hood but was louvered decades ago.

2v2eHVKf8ximYT.jpg