Model Cars Magazine Forum

Share your Model Building New Year Resolutions

Share your resolutions for 2023. I'm going first

I plan to build the Porsche 911 GT1, Pennzoil Livery, Tamiya kit, Indycal decals. It's on the bench.

I plan to build the Chaparral 2D, 1966 Daytona configuration. Monogram kit on it's way, just made it through the border.

I plan to build the Ferrari 250 GTO, N.A.R.T livery 62 Nassau or 63 Sebring. Kit on it's way from Japan, VRM decals on my bench.

I plan to build the MB 300 SLR, 1955 Mille Miglia, modified to Fangio configuration. Kit and decals in my stash.

I plan to stop buying and stashing kits...   ok this one goes in the start exercising, lose weight and cut back on the whisky pile. It aint gonna happen...

Four out of five. Proud of myself.

Your turn guys!

I plan to finish a lot of my started projects before starting anymore.

I plan to only buy kits I truly want to build, only because I want them and NOT because I get a good deal on them(closet impulse buyer) 

I plan to start building for quality and not quantity. Gonna try some new things this year.

And finally, I plan on trying to get out and go to some shows, even if only spectating.

• Like 2

Last year, I did an experiment.  See, the previous year I made a list of everything I wanted to build and built it, and I was pretty productive.  Ended up with I think 13 finished builds of various complexity levels.

Last year, I decided to just try building what I felt like, when I felt like it.  No list, no particular plan, no feeling bad for not finishing something - just did what I wanted when I wanted.  Turns out I don’t work well that way - I did LEARN a bunch and picked up a lot of new skills but I also have a bunch of unfinished projects and a dissatisfied feeling at the end of it.

So, experiment completed, this year I have a list of what I’d like to achieve, some new practiced skills with which to achieve it and I want to do the best work I ever did.  Going to a bunch of shows last year helped a lot - it’s really humbling to see other people’s work and realize how much there is to learn!

I’ve been excited to get started on 2023’s builds!  

So last year I just couldn't get into it. I didn't even start a kit until september. I think I ended up finishing maybe 6 (mostly snappers and curbsides). But around Christmas, I came up with an idea to hopefully keep me motivated this year and got pretty excited about it. So with being said

Start sooner

Build more/Finish more

Trying to learn air brushing

FINISH THE DANG CBR THIS YEAR.. GEEZ

But mainly Go back to having fun with it...

• Like 1

I spend a LOT of time at the bench with getting very little done. Some days I spend more time thinking about what I could or should do than actually doing anything.😕 This year I want to become more efficient by:

1) making a list of chores, parts needed and order of operations.

2) Look, a squirrel…

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1: Build the new 1/12 Bugatti 35b by Italeri.

2: Finish my stalled 1/12 Delta Integrale project. 

3: Branch out a little bit... I have enough sports/exotic/classic car spares around to create some pretty interesting street rods. I've had a Ferrari V12-powered Deuce idea kicking around in my head for a while.

I ran across this the other day

"Are you committed or just interested"

So this now hangs on my model table. For 2023, I want to not just move plastic around, but to build to the best of my ability.

Doesnt matter how many I do, long as when its done, I can honesty say, this is the best I can do. For now

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dragstk said:

I ran across this the other day

"Are you committed or just interested"

So this now hangs on my model table. For 2023, I want to not just move plastic around, but to build to the best of my ability.

Doesnt matter how many I do, long as when its done, I can honesty say, this is the best I can do. For now

AMEN!! 🙌🏻

13 hours ago, spencer1984 said:

Every year I come up with a theme, and work on that theme from January through December. It always gets a little rushed at the end of the year, so this year my resolution is that the end of November is my new cutoff, so I can have a more relaxed holiday.

The theme idea is interesting - could you give us some for-examples?

11 hours ago, CabDriver said:

The theme idea is interesting - could you give us some for-examples?

Sure thing! This year will be "Toys and Games" - everything I build will be a project inspired by a video game, a toy from my youth, or will be built out of a toy. Last year, it was "Music" - models inspired by cars from music videos, musicals, TV show jingles/songs, or bands. 2021 was "Unfinished Business" - every project had to be something I had previously started but never finished.

I found it to be a big help focusing both my time and my spending: if I know there's no way I'd get to work on a particular model for months or years, it makes it a lot easier to pass on a new purchase.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, spencer1984 said:

Sure thing! This year will be "Toys and Games" - everything I build will be a project inspired by a video game, a toy from my youth, or will be built out of a toy. Last year, it was "Music" - models inspired by cars from music videos, musicals, TV show jingles/songs, or bands. 2021 was "Unfinished Business" - every project had to be something I had previously started but never finished.

I found it to be a big help focusing both my time and my spending: if I know there's no way I'd get to work on a particular model for months or years, it makes it a lot easier to pass on a new purchase.

That’s really interesting!  Fun idea!  I have some long term collections of builds that I’m working on (albeit VERY slowly), but I just add another when I feel like adding another.  For example, I’ve been collecting the various Boyd Coddington kits that were issued and I’d like to do all the AMT / Testor’s / resin versions of his cars that I can.  I’ve been working through the various Miata kits that are available, and the MPC trikes series that got reissued a couple of years back.  Oh, and I’ve been collecting the Atlantis kits so I can build one of each of those too.

Come to think of it, I really oughta work on some more of these serieses (seri?  Series?) this year - I’ve got too many collections with just one lonely build so far 😂

On 1/3/2023 at 11:36 PM, CabDriver said:

That’s really interesting!  Fun idea!  I have some long term collections of builds that I’m working on (albeit VERY slowly), but I just add another when I feel like adding another.  For example, I’ve been collecting the various Boyd Coddington kits that were issued and I’d like to do all the AMT / Testor’s / resin versions of his cars that I can.  I’ve been working through the various Miata kits that are available, and the MPC trikes series that got reissued a couple of years back.  Oh, and I’ve been collecting the Atlantis kits so I can build one of each of those too.

Come to think of it, I really oughta work on some more of these serieses (seri?  Series?) this year - I’ve got too many collections with just one lonely build so far 😂

I know the feeling, it's easy to go down the rabbit hole of "I already have this one, I should get that one...and that one...oh, and that one fits too..."

Sounds like some good projects in there!

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 7:55 AM, NOBLNG said:

I spend a LOT of time at the bench with getting very little done. Some days I spend more time thinking about what I could or should do than actually doing anything.😕 This year I want to become more efficient by:

1) making a list of chores, parts needed and order of operations.

2) Look, a squirrel…

I started putting together a task list a couple of years ago. It helps me focus, and it motivates me when I can check off what I've done.

capture.jpg