Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pennzoil Porsche 911 GT1

I tend to migrate towards 1970's and earlier subjects for my race car builds. It was the era of my youth but it was also a wonderful era for automotive styling. Aero was part of design for race cars but it was possibly more art than science, producing masterpieces like a Ferrari GTO, Ford GT 40, Cobra Daytona etc.

Contemporary cars are aero optimized weapons of speed and tend to be less visually harmonious to this old modeler's eyes. Still some of the newer cars, like this 911 GT1 can be very interesting modeling subjects. 

Tamiya kit, basically OOB with only a bit of powertrain plumbing added and PE seatbelts (which are barely visible). A modern race car but I wanted a classic livery. Problem solved courtesy of Indycals with the Pennzoil livery.

My first Tamiya kit and a real pleasure to work with. Everything just fits perfectly. Sort of like painting by numbers, no fixing needed, just follow the instructions.

GT1 1.jpg

GT1 2.jpg

GT1 3.jpg

GT1 4.jpg

GT1 5.jpg

GT1 6.jpg

GT1 7.jpg

GT1 8.jpg

GT1 9.jpg

GT1 10.jpg

• Like 6

Thank you fellows, I appreciate the nice feedback.

Jason, can't say if all Tamiya kits go together this easily because this is my first one. This limited experience shows a great level of engineering expertise on the parts as well as the tooling to inject the styrene. A good example is the windshield designed with an angled edge perfectly matched on the body side. It mounts from the inside but ends up a flush mount with that design. Just good engineering of the parts and their interfaces, all done with very tight tolerances.

4 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Thank you fellows, I appreciate the nice feedback.

Jason, can't say if all Tamiya kits go together this easily because this is my first one. This limited experience shows a great level of engineering expertise on the parts as well as the tooling to inject the styrene. A good example is the windshield designed with an angled edge perfectly matched on the body side. It mounts from the inside but ends up a flush mount with that design. Just good engineering of the parts and their interfaces, all done with very tight tolerances.

Just about anything by Tamiya released in the last 30 or so years has the same level of foresight and detail in the engineering. Their earlier kits, especially the 1/12 scale car kits released in the 70's, are impressive but once they got into the late 90's the engineering just took off. I just finished their new Nissan Z kit and it was an absolute joy to build from start to finish.

Another Wow, Pierre, That yellow looks spectacular. If you had a wip on this one, I totally missed it. Looks perfect as usual. If you can build one of these, A NextGen nascar  would be nothing for you. I might need your help on the recipe for a yellow I'm going to have to do on a Nextgen Penske Mustang in the future. Again, some fabulous work on this one.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2023 at 7:09 PM, Pierre Rivard said:

Contemporary cars are aero optimized weapons of speed and tend to be less visually harmonious to this old modeler's eyes.

Almost poetry! 😀 I second your opinion and I like the fact that you consider that this has to do with one's own age too.

The Porsche is built and painted just excellent, lovely model - Tamiya or not! 

• Thanks 1