Model Cars Magazine Forum

ICM 1/24 Model A Phaeton

Justin Porter

I may well be in on this one as well. I'm currently building ICM's Model T Speedster kit. It's a very nice kit. The only thing I don't like about it is that the plastic is a little too soft and pliable. 

• Like 1

ICM posted a bunch of sprue photos on their Farcebook page. Here's a few from that post. The kit looks like it's going to be a nice build and the tires especially look well done.

422019387_784958610405277_6414850623857317975_n.jpg

438100941_784958673738604_3675821020516587528_n.jpg

438081950_784958397071965_7136477593998559311_n.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Looks great.....but if it's north of $60usd I will buy a few of the old Revell Monogram kits. Previous ICM 1/24 kits were obtainable in the $30-40 range. 

As I stated earlier in the thread, MSRP is $54.99 according to my primary distributor for ICM. Perfectly in keeping with their other 1/24 releases as the Model T's MSRP is $46.99, the Renault "Paris Taxi" is $46.99, the Opel Admiral is $49.99, and the Benz Patent-Motowagen is either $73.99 or $27.99 depending on if you get the deluxe version with P/E spoked wheels and figures or the "Easy" version with plastic wheels.

I would also point out that for other similar kits, Heller hangs a $49.99 MSRP on their BMW 328 and $46.99 on their Citroën B14 Normande, Italeri asks $54.99 on their Rolls Royce Phantom II and $48.99 for their Mercedes 504k, and Tamiya's MSRP for their Toyoda AA is $56.00 so ICM is not at all out of step with the current market for premium kits of pre-war subjects.

Man, these look really, really good! As far as price, as Justin said, they seem to be in line with other new tool premium level kits of this era. I would further add that if you want to buy a mint vintage Monogram kit you are going to pay at least that much, or more for a nice complete unbuilt example on the secondary market. Unless you get really lucky and stumble onto a great deal at a flea market, thrift store or yard sale, etc. Having been buying the vintage Monogram Ford kits for the past few years, the going rate for the original issue '30 Phaeton is mid $40's at the low end up to $100+ at the high end and the stock only issues are probably high 30's at the low end to $75 plus at the high end. Built ups are much lower of course, but also usually require work to be usable. As much as I love the early Monogram Fords, this kit looks superior, especially in the wheels and tires and fine details. I do so hope we see other body styles, especially ones that have not been made before. 

25 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

If you *really* want one RIGHT NOW, there's a seller in Poland on eBay selling them for $50 shipped. 

theres a cheaper place, i'll share it once i get one ordered later today

3 hours ago, stitchdup said:

theres a cheaper place, i'll share it once i get one ordered later today

a seller on ebay called walkers models 1966 has it for £35 and change with free uk delivery

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, stitchdup said:

a seller on ebay called walkers models 1966 has it for £35 and change with free uk delivery

Handy if you live in the UK I'm sure. However for U.S. Delivery there's a 17.24£ shipping which once you account for the currency exchange comes out to over $63USD. So...for most here that in fact is not at all a cheaper place.

Edited by niteowl7710

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

Handy if you live in the UK I'm sure. However for U.S. Delivery there's a 17.24£ shipping which once you account for the currency exchange comes out to over $63USD. So...for most here that in fact is not at all a cheaper place.

Probably more even, when you're living in mainland Europe, plus 21% sales tax and 15 Euro on import duty.

Hopefully they'll issue this one with other body styles later on.  I've got a couple of the Monogram kits (including a stock one) so I don’t need another phaeton.  A pickup, now that's another story...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

The B-26 that I realized I already bought in a Revell box, this weekend. 😐

That's the older kit that's a B-26K, the one just released is a brand new 2024 tool.

Screenshot_20240506_161659_SamsungInternet.jpg.32272eda960b7bd7390431b9fbd1b628.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2024 at 11:37 AM, Mark said:

Hopefully they'll issue this one with other body styles later on.  I've got a couple of the Monogram kits (including a stock one) so I don’t need another phaeton.  A pickup, now that's another story...

With looking at the parts layout i think we will see at least 2 more releases from this tooling.  A truck and a delivery would be my guess. The running boards look more like comercial units to me.  

Being they all have the same wheel base but some have different rear fender widths though. 

Sorry if this has already been mentioned.

I'd bet that the passenger car versions built in the Soviet Union back in the day all used the same (commercial version) running boards.  They do interchange on the 1:1 cars and light trucks.  Occasionally you'll see over-restored trucks with the rubber covered car running boards.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

The B-26 that I realized I already bought in a Revell box, this weekend. 😐

Thanks, Chuck.

I was thinking they had announced a 1926 Model T while I wasn't looking.

16 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

With looking at the parts layout i think we will see at least 2 more releases from this tooling.  A truck and a delivery would be my guess.  

Oh man, of they did the closed cab truck that would be incredible.

• Like 1