Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Pontiac bonneville 60’s style mild custom

gseeds

Hi guys, I haven’t posted anything for a while so I grabbed a kit off the shelf and put her together,

This is a Thumpeter 1960 Bonneville, A first for me to build a Thumpeter Kit , It went together pretty well , I bought this as a not complete kit, missing its interior door cards and the rear seat , not a big problem, I made new doors cards with a white diamond tuck pattern and made a complete rear seat cover , the rest of the build went pretty smooth, shaved doors, French antennas, lowered and riding on a set of Pegasus Astro Supremes plus a pearl white base color with a candy teal fade and silver metal flake top give it a cool 1960’s vibe . All in all it’s a good kit and builds into a pretty decent look model, thanks for looking ! 

23CDD171-D1F9-4D3E-96F9-36B4F746B266.jpeg

8AA25964-DCE1-4BAE-B7EF-F19BEBF6C50E.jpeg

DEB1D2D2-039D-40E1-9347-607BE25FAD42.jpeg

CDD91E19-A18E-47FD-8B41-1D2BAF5F9FE5.jpeg

D5FAC3E0-6BA8-4B2A-BE5B-D97979DF1164.jpeg

87EF11A6-2494-4E5F-8EEC-A9697B366EC8.jpeg

66E16921-5CC5-40B5-B634-52785F667F6D.jpeg

• Like 15

Pretty build, Gary.  Looks like just what I'd have wanted to drive in high school, tho I had a '55 Chevy Delray post with all the old-school goodies, including full pinstriping by 'Coop.'  I'll post a pic of my '60 AMT Bonne with what I always thought it needed, a '61 divided grille hood, from an old promo.  It was my first try at PE details, and... well, lots of good left-overs! 

I got to go to the '60 Squaw Valley Winter Olympics in a new '60 Bonneville 'Vista' (four-door HT), and when the dad driving got sleepy at nine PM (on a snowy mtn road!) I almost got my first chance to drive one. Of course, I was only 15!  Really liked the style; much better than other GM divisions with the same body base, I thought.  Shame they lost the divided grille after debuting it so effectively in '59 -- which was cursed with a bizarre collection of over-decorations!  Do-overs?  I M Humble O...   Wick

• Thanks 1

Beautiful paint finish and the style reminds me of how a lot of guys were building the 1:1 1960 Pontiacs in the early and mid '60's. The rear seat cover idea was often done as well. All of the finishes look great, and this build is like a flash back to that time.  

• Thanks 1

One think about some modern metallic paints; in small-scale the look like metalflake!  I scored lots working in retirement for a PPG auto paint store!  A gallon of Hemi orange, anyone?  We usually sold it half-price, but employees could just take it home!  I've only had trouble with 1:1 paint once on kits, and the epoxy primers work fine, make good sealers on styrene -- for me.

• Like 1