Model Cars Magazine Forum

Am I wrong?

Since I can't see the item description, I don't see how I could comment on this.  Your last reply is not cool - If I was a seller I would probably block you from my auctions. Plus, this is not a Model building question.  That's my take.

Edited by peteski
  • Like 1

I'd assume you would get them as pictured. The black background is there because he's printing on white decal paper. I wouldn't buy those anyway because of that alone. Any seller that can't answer a question also gets into my "bad books" and won't sell me anything...

• Like 2

Guy sounds like a butt to me. You asked legit questions that you didn't feel his copy and photograph adequately addressed.

How hard is it to answer "yes (or no), there is a black line around it" (or not) and "the decal is very opaque so it should look the same applied over any color" (or not)?

Even if he felt his photo and description were "perfect" and self-explanatory, his response could have been polite.

Courtesy costs nothing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would l still like to see the full listing photo(s) and description, to make my final judgment.  For all I know, the description might explain the black background.  We don't know that, do we? So far I just see a peeing contest between seller and buyer. 

• Like 1

Okay,  here is the description:

General Lee 1:24 1:25 scale water slide decals on white Backing for Black General Lee . With these white backing decals you get the white outline and the white stars  that the clear backing does not provide . Condition is New.

What you see is what you get. Good for Black General Lee's.I matched the color so you don't have to cut out the numbers . I already put the letters General Lee close to the flag  so you do not have to hassle with those tiny letters.  All you have to do is cut around the flag and the letters and it can be set as one piece. Cut to size.if you have a special request in size message me before purchase. I'll try to help you if I can. Thanks.

That, along with the photo of the decal clearly indicates that they are for the black body model.   But if a novice modeler is not familiar with various types of decals offered, they might ask a question that you asked.  I can also see why the seller did not want to deal with your question.   I guess a bit of courtesy on the seller part along with a simple explanation (that you can't use those decals on a orange car) would have prevented the nasty exchange.

As a former ebay seller as well as a modeler I think a picture of a prototype would eliminate many of your questions. I also think the black outline could be included on the sample to show the white outline that would not be visible if printed in white on traditional decal paper. 

To me, this looks like a graphic printed on a sticker.

• Like 2

As an eBay seller, I get questions that are covered in the descriptions all the time. I try to be polite in my responses, though it can get frustrating if I've had a rash of irritations (either on- or off-site), and days like that I try to wait a bit before responding since I know I'm not at my most professional. As a buyer, I've asked questions that were covered in the listing but missed because I was tired, not paying attention, etc. If the seller responds as this guy did, I go back and double-check to see if I did in fact miss something.  Either way, I try to cut the other guy some slack since I've been there.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, spencer1984 said:

As an eBay seller, I get questions that are covered in the descriptions all the time. I try to be polite in my responses, though it can get frustrating if I've had a rash of irritations (either on- or off-site), and days like that I try to wait a bit before responding since I know I'm not at my most professional. As a buyer, I've asked questions that were covered in the listing but missed because I was tired, not paying attention, etc. If the seller responds as this guy did, I go back and double-check to see if I did in fact miss something.  Either way, I try to cut the other guy some slack since I've been there.

Excellent.

As a builder who posts detailed descriptions to accompany photos of my WIPs, I occasionally get questions about aspects that are fully covered in the text. And sometimes I've been tempted to be kinda rude when it's obvious someone just didn't bother to read the text.

But as you say, there have been times I've overlooked something clearly printed right in front of me, so I tend to try to be a little nicer these days, having accepted (somewhat reluctantly ;)) that I'm not always perfect in my perception either.  :D

14 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

I wasn't even aware of a black General Lee.

Some sellers include a picture of the prototype in their listings for reference.

Same here. My guess the seller don't realize the General Lee Charger is orange, not black, nor black and orange.

Perhaps he thinks the roof was black. I don't know. 

Obviously the seller isn't going to answer politely.  As far as the response from thd buyer, should have ended it without the last comment to the seller. It's best to let it go and not give him the sale.

6 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Same here. My guess the seller don't realize the General Lee Charger is orange, not black, nor black and orange.

Perhaps he thinks the roof was black. I don't know. 

Obviously the seller isn't going to answer politely.  As far as the response from thd buyer, should have ended it without the last comment to the seller. It's best to let it go and not give him the sale.

Apparently, the car was black in one or two episodes for some reason.

I couldn't say myself as I haven't watched it since I was a kid and can't stand it now.

But, I'd be suspect of a decal printed on white decal sheet like that being completely opaque.  I'd suspect the body color would show through to some extent but would have to actually see it on a car to be sure.

12 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Apparently, the car was black in one or two episodes for some reason.

I couldn't say myself as I haven't watched it since I was a kid and can't stand it now.

But, I'd be suspect of a decal printed on white decal sheet like that being completely opaque.  I'd suspect the body color would show through to some extent but would have to actually see it on a car to be sure.

Yup, cannot watch it anymore, hurts. :) 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

They 'only' destroyed about 300 Chargers while filming that show...... Guys like the ones in this link are the ones really responsible for destroying all those muscle cars!

I really couldn't care less about the cars, I just find the show too foolish to watch now.

That's just my opinion, I know there's lots of people who just love it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JollySipper said:

They 'only' destroyed about 300 Chargers while filming that show...... Guys like the ones in this link are the ones really responsible for destroying all those muscle cars!

I'm of the opinion that the 1980's were responsible for ruining more Muscle Cars than the 1970's. So many over-restored / incorrectly "restored" cars from that era -- braided hoses, Pro Street, and, worse yet, original items/parts which were thrown away or plated-over, forever ruining their originality. 

I, too, enjoyed D.O.H. as a youth. I can't stand it these days -- really, since the mid-1980's as a teen. A friend-of-a-friend had (he sold it some 15 years ago) a 95% original 1969 Charger R/T 440 in factory Hemi Orange. He had to hide his car because of the clowns who were on him to sell it to that T.V. show. 
He knew how the cars were "treated", and told them to pound sand. 
And, this was during a (awful) period when a 10 year old car - in the stranglehold of the 1979-1980 OPEC crisis - wasn't worth the ground it sat upon. 

Edited by 1972coronet
CLAIRIFICATION