Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell spray chrome test.

Can-Con

On 9/29/2023 at 10:16 PM, Can-Con said:

I'd give it more then a couple days. At least a week. 

I let it rest for about 10 days, then reassembled it together again, without taking care of the chromed parts (as the bike was a junker, anyway - but a good proving ground).  But the new spraychromed parts showed no visual signs of wear from handling:

P1080269.JPG.88ebe5860190dfb0c677e08a48a747b5.JPGP1080268.JPG.99c5c4ace730d2ca976499ea37f819c6.JPG

So I went off and bought a second can...

Edited by 1959scudetto
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a can the other month, haven't used it yet but from the pics and various videos I've seen it looks amazing. Dang expensive though! The true test will be if it holds up to fingerprints and stays chrome, and not turn grey after a week! If it does, then it's no better than most other chrome paints out there. I've tried many and some look like straight up chrome.... for a day or two!

2 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

I bought a can the other month, haven't used it yet but from the pics and various videos I've seen it looks amazing. Dang expensive though! The true test will be if it holds up to fingerprints and stays chrome, and not turn grey after a week! If it does, then it's no better than most other chrome paints out there. I've tried many and some look like straight up chrome.... for a day or two!

Gareth I sprayed the front bumper on this Volare almost 3 months ago and I can assure you it still looks as it does in this pic right now.

It can take regular handling but needs a long time to dry. I'd suggest not handling it for at least a week, more would be better. This may seem a long time but it's similar to what I experience in drying time to Alclad's gloss black basecoat enamel.

IMG 3718

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Gareth I sprayed the front bumper on this Volare almost 3 months ago and I can assure you it still looks as it does in this pic right now.

It can take regular handling but needs a long time to dry. I'd suggest not handling it for at least a week, more would be better. This may seem a long time but it's similar to what I experience in drying time to Alclad's gloss black basecoat enamel.

The pic like the one you show is exactly why I bought it, looks great! Good to know it holds up well. Finding a good chrome paint is one of those fall to your knees moments crying with joy!😂

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I also tried out the chrome spray from Revell and I was quite disappointed. The finish was at first very promising but even after I had left the parts on the workbench for about a week, I ended up having fingerprints and foggy patterns on the surface. Don´t know if I did anything wrong but I followed the instructions on the can.

Very carefully I then handled the parts that came out optically reasonable but I´m not really convinced of the quality of the spray. If anyone has a hint what I could improve, I´m always open minded for new ideas!

I know of course that the surface of the parts shows through but if you look at the radiator grille, that was absolutely even and hat no structure at all. Now it looks like it was hammered. The exhaust pipe looks foggy, the fuel tanks also.

IMG_20231117_002236_693.jpg.43a66996059ad37239e8163bef9293f1.jpgIMG_20231117_002256_215.jpg.5a2df518307766c4b2a538ac090fc507.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rodent said:

I like it as well. The only complaint I have is that the spray nozzle is leaking underneath. To me, it is a little warmer than kit chrome, so it looks more like an actual piece of chrome plated steel.

PXL_20231123_215638131.jpg.13126364c24e17019799d076af78fc30.jpg

I had the same problem with the leakage under the nozzle the first time I used it.  That's when I removed it and found out that it hadn't been seated all the way down.  I cleaned the leakage off the top of the can and from the nozzle. Placed the nozzle back onto the stem poking up from the can, and with a cloth covering the nozzle, quickly pushed it down firmly when I head a little click.  Problem solved!  I've used it twice since with no leakage.

• Like 2

I used it and even after a week touching with un-gloved fingers would mess it up and turn it to silver. I found waiting for a week and first misting with splash paints 2k clear, then a gloss coat took only a little of the brightness away and still looked like nice chrome and could be handled all I wanted. 

• Like 1

hey folks - got a few questions on the recent Revell chrome spray paint - I was able to purchase some (difficult to find and a bit on the expensive side) but for the cost it's less expensive than having parts plated - I don't know the German or French language so I'm at a bit of a loss to fully understand the pros and cons to the product - so here's my questions -

can it be sprayed over bare plastic, or should a primer be used?

if primer is the suggested base for the chrome paint - what color would work the best?

should the parts (after applying the chrome paint) be clear coated?

if they need to be clear coated - enamel or laquear paint?

I only plan to use it on smaller parts like suspension, fuel tanks, bumpers, etc. 

thanks folks -

Joe

• Like 1

I have a can on the way from model roundup. I'm curious about this chrome paint also. From the previous posts, it looks really promising. it is expensive  Gonna try it on some old worn out baby moon rims. I'll post pics when I get them done.

Hi Joe!

In my experience, which is very satisfying, you need primer. I use Tamya's fine white primer.

I tried clear, both lacquer and water based, and they do NOT improve gloss or reflectivity.

I usually start with a medium coat of chrome, let flash, and follow with a heavy wet coat. Let dry for a couple of days before handling, with care. I painted inner paneling on funny car (1/25) bodies, and the effect was perfect. (see pic) 

Expensive, but worth it. Compared to Alclad chrome, it is less dark. 

Good luck with your project!

CT 

DSC01927 (2).JPG

• Like 1

You do NOT need to put anything under it, primer or any kind of other paint. Makes no difference. Just needs to be a smooth surface. 

Apparently you can put the Spazstix clear they make for their chrome over it, [I haven't tried it myself]  anything else any of us has tried has instantly turned it to dull silver.

Here's six pages on the subject.

Edited by Can-Con
added text
  • Like 1

After Dave (yh70) recommended the Spax Stix clear, I grabbed a can this morning. I am optimistic about it. This spoon is coated with the Revell chrome paint and has been sitting in my dehydrator for weeks. I sprayed one light coat on the tip half of the spoon and then an hour later one heavy coat. The heavy coat seems to have maybe melted through and disturbed the chrome a bit? I think with the multiple LIGHT coats as suggested it would be fine. The shine of the chrome is hardly diminished in my eye. They also have it in bottles for airbrushing (10900).

Thanks Dave!

IMG_9515.jpeg

IMG_9514.jpeg

IMG_9518.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

On 8/31/2023 at 12:31 AM, mikos said:

I wonder if Pledge Floor Shine would dull the Revell chrome spray finish?  If not, that could be the answer we’ve all been looking for.

This spoon was sprayed with Revell Chrom. After it had dried a couple days, I dipped it halfway into Future. You can see the line on the primed inside of the spoon, but not on the chromed side.🙂 The roughness is from the primer coat.

IMG_0778.jpeg

IMG_0777.jpeg

IMG_0772.jpeg

IMG_0771.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1