Model Cars Magazine Forum

December launches from Tamiya

Kaenned

Tamiya recently dropped their launches for december! Most of it doesn't really ring my bell, but I'm really excited about that little Fiat 500! And it appears there are two different sticker designs to choose from.

• 24269 1/24 Fiat 500F: Tamiya welcomes an updated re-issue of Item 24169 1/24 Fiat 500F (originally sold in 2011) with updated decals, instruction manual and masking stickers. With its adorable design, the classic Fiat 500 provided a lively, sporty drive.
  • 20072 1/20 Toyota Celica LB Turbo Gr.5: Tamiya is delighted to announce the re-issue of 1/20 Toyota Celica LB Turbo Gr. 5 (originally sold as Item 20009 in 1978; not motorized this time) with new Cartograf decals, new slick tires and instruction manual in the 1/20 Grand Prix Collection.
  • 14016 1/12 Honda CX500 Turbo RE-RELEASE
  • 24096  1/24 Toyota Celsior (UCF11)

545479-resizewidth-1200.webp

404953325_837257745072736_4674837556301774714_n.jpeg

404463958_835917418540102_4900881220598993719_n.jpeg

d5a0d608ac5fda41d0594c7cf32f8f77_zZ_f7_Z4FKNPvtXPFT51sMv2YeTn5wYH.jpeg

Tamiya-24096.jpeg

• Like 3

Very pleased to see the Celsior back, I first built one back in the '90s and I've very slowly been doing a freshly painted body for a reshell of it (then giving me that lovely V8 engine for another project).

Would be great to get hold of another one or two. As I have a 1:1 '93 LS400 it's a car I'm particularly interested in, and for that reason I'd echo the desire to see the Lexus version come back again. It's expensive/hard-to-find at present.

• Like 1

If anyone is excited about the 1/20 scale Toyota reissue I accept thinks via Paypal!!!!!!  

I wanted this kit for many years. It always sold WAY above my comfort level. BUT one day I found one missing wheels and tires for $25!!! I bought it knowing I'd never see it cheap again. I then bought a Tamiya 1/20 Porsche kit, much cheaper and used the wheels and tires to cast all new wheels and tires for my Toyota....being to cheap to junk the Porsche kit !!! So I spent a lot of time and money on RTV and resin.......THAT made a reissue a for sure!!!! 

I'll get one for sure!!! Thanks

On 11/25/2023 at 7:06 AM, Kaenned said:

Tamiya recently dropped their launches for december! Most of it doesn't really ring my bell, but I'm really excited about that little Fiat 500! And it appears there are two different sticker designs to choose from.

• 24269 1/24 Fiat 500F: Tamiya welcomes an updated re-issue of Item 24169 1/24 Fiat 500F (originally sold in 2011) with updated decals, instruction manual and masking stickers. With its adorable design, the classic Fiat 500 provided a lively, sporty drive.
  • 20072 1/20 Toyota Celica LB Turbo Gr.5: Tamiya is delighted to announce the re-issue of 1/20 Toyota Celica LB Turbo Gr. 5 (originally sold as Item 20009 in 1978; not motorized this time) with new Cartograf decals, new slick tires and instruction manual in the 1/20 Grand Prix Collection.
  • 14016 1/12 Honda CX500 Turbo RE-RELEASE
  • 24096  1/24 Toyota Celsior (UCF11)

545479-resizewidth-1200.webp

404953325_837257745072736_4674837556301774714_n.jpeg

404463958_835917418540102_4900881220598993719_n.jpeg

d5a0d608ac5fda41d0594c7cf32f8f77_zZ_f7_Z4FKNPvtXPFT51sMv2YeTn5wYH.jpeg

Tamiya-24096.jpeg

Looks like the Testors Lexus I have, only with Toyota logos

On 11/26/2023 at 6:46 PM, CabDriver said:

I’m excited for the Fiat - always wanted to build one of those. 

Actually, I’d also like to modify one into a Barchetta 595, a 90s limited run production car designed and masterminded by McLaren F1 designer Peter Stevens:

IMG_5127.jpeg.db931bb8327cc2f1c42cf924d3a10aef.jpeg

Ewwww.  While not quite as homely as PT-Cruiser convertible, or the new Mini Cooper roadster, it is up there with them. Its lightly redeeming quality is that the nose is cute!  It just needs a big grinning mouth decal.

5e46f22284194bcd823d8a2481a9948c.jpg

CHRYSLER-PT-Cruiser-Convertible-2177_19.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 10:16 AM, ncbuckeye67 said:

Looks like the Testors Lexus I have, only with Toyota logos

I think Tamiya had the most accurate body shape of the various companies that kitted the Celsior/Lexus LS400, yet they omitted the sunroof, which other companies included. Tamiya is also re-releasing the LS400. Both new releases include an updated decal sheet (the only changes being reshaped bumper chrome strips and a new CHMSL) and new window masks.  I think the LS400 also includes silver metal transfers in place of the original gold emblems.

Edited by BVC500

On 11/26/2023 at 2:36 PM, Spottedlaurel said:

Very pleased to see the Celsior back, I first built one back in the '90s and I've very slowly been doing a freshly painted body for a reshell of it (then giving me that lovely V8 engine for another project).

Would be great to get hold of another one or two. As I have a 1:1 '93 LS400 it's a car I'm particularly interested in, and for that reason I'd echo the desire to see the Lexus version come back again. It's expensive/hard-to-find at present.

I've toyed somewhat seriously with an LS 400/430/460 after driving an LS 460 while doing some portering for used cars. What has your experience been with it overall?

Charlie Larkin

13 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

I've toyed somewhat seriously with an LS 400/430/460 after driving an LS 460 while doing some portering for used cars. What has your experience been with it overall?

I now own a '93 Mk1, and I've previously had a '96 Mk3. My daughter's boyfriend has two '98-ish Mk4 models, so all my experience is of the 400s. I think they're great! Even mine, bought very cheaply and maintaind to a far lower standard than it deserves, is a lovely thing to drive. So smooth.

The impression I've got about later 430s and 460s is that they're not built/designed to quite the same standard, so despite being newer they can suffer issues that don't affect the 400s.

I personally prefer the look of the Mk1/2 models, especially the Mk1 on its 15" wheels, and happily it's an early one that Tamiya represent with their very nice kit.

Great news that the Lexus version will also be reissued!

• 3 weeks later...

Tamiya's choice of models has always surprised me and reminded me of both how little I understand about running a profitable model kit company, how little I know about license costs and how small the circle of customers that I probably am. In short, Tamiya makes the best kits, no doubt, Tamiya has made one of the best small ever 1966 VW Beetle, accurate, detailed, easy to build, good price etc.
But now comes my objection, the VW is one of the few Tamiya 1/24 kits that can be built in its own way and certainly one of the few that can be built weathered and rusty which is a bit surprising considering that Tamiya also makes tanks and suitable colors etc to weather these.
In short, I am surprised that Tamiya has not made more cars that wear and rust nicely.
Revell has made Land Rovers, Heller makes French cars, Revell and others make VW buses.

Tamiya's choice of models has always surprised me and reminded me of both how little I understand about running a profitable model kit company, how little I know about license costs and how small the circle of customers that I probably am. In short, Tamiya makes the best kits, no doubt, Tamiya has made one of the best small ever 1966 VW Beetle, accurate, detailed, easy to build, good price etc.
But now comes my objection, the VW is one of the few Tamiya 1/24 kits that can be built in its own way and certainly one of the few that can be built weathered and rusty which is a bit surprising considering that Tamiya also makes tanks and suitable colors etc to weather these.In short, I am surprised that Tamiya has not made more cars that wear and rust nicely. Revell has made Land Rovers, Heller makes French cars, Revell and others make VW buses.
 Tamiya has made several Volvos, thanks for that, but it would have been even more fun if it was a Volvo that can be built weathered.
Can we wish for a Volvo 245 estate wagon?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ulf said:

But now comes my objection, the VW is one of the few Tamiya 1/24 kits that can be built in its own way and certainly one of the few that can be built weathered and rusty which is a bit surprising considering that Tamiya also makes tanks and suitable colors etc to weather these.
In short, I am surprised that Tamiya has not made more cars that wear and rust nicely.
Revell has made Land Rovers, Heller makes French cars, Revell and others make VW buses.

But now comes my objection, the VW is one of the few Tamiya 1/24 kits that can be built in its own way and certainly one of the few that can be built weathered and rusty which is a bit surprising considering that Tamiya also makes tanks and suitable colors etc to weather these.In short, I am surprised that Tamiya has not made more cars that wear and rust nicely. Revell has made Land Rovers, Heller makes French cars, Revell and others make VW buses.
 Tamiya has made several Volvos, thanks for that, but it would have been even more fun if it was a Volvo that can be built weathered.

there is a volvo kit, its a 240 touring car from nunu or belkits and there are numerous aftermarket parts to change it into a wagon or road car. uscp-ua spring to mind first as they carry a pretty wide selection for it. i dont understand how you say only the beetle can be weathered when they have a decent range of other cars that can be aged.

8 hours ago, Ulf said:

Karmann Ghia, VW Beetle, Fiat 500/695, Citroen 2CV, Jaguar Mk2 all come to mind immediately as Tamiya kits that would look really good with proper weathering. As would all of the rally cars, of course. The Alpine A110 would look great a little beaten up as well. 

Tamiya has a big back catalog. If I have any complaint it's that they underutilize it and don't rerelease their greatest hits enough.

14 hours ago, jaymcminn said:

Tamiya has a big back catalog. If I have any complaint it's that they underutilize it and don't rerelease their greatest hits enough.

I definitely agree with this. Good to see the Fiat coming back now hopefully more will follow.

I also wonder if there is any chance they will reissue the Aston Martin DBS, I am still kicking myself for not buying it when it first came out.

On 12/26/2023 at 3:57 AM, dbostream said:

I definitely agree with this. Good to see the Fiat coming back now hopefully more will follow.

I also wonder if there is any chance they will reissue the Aston Martin DBS, I am still kicking myself for not buying it when it first came out.

I would also love to see Tamiya Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA brought back.  It is a nice older full-detail kit that has become rare and goes for crazy prices on eBay.  That one could also be weathered as a rally car.

2 hours ago, peteski said:

I would also love to see Tamiya Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA brought back.  It is a nice older full-detail kit that has become rare and goes for crazy prices on eBay.  That one could also be weathered as a rally car.

Yes the Alfa is a nice kit. Luckily I bought one when it was last reissued.

Any news on alternative versions of the Nissan 240ZG? It looks to have been engineered in such a way that a standard-nose Z could be offered, and there are so many race/rally cars they could do. Maybe even borrow the S20 engine from the Skyline GT-R to create a Z432R? Look how many different issues Hasegawa can get out of one subject.

Also, with regard to weathering/rust, given that many of their subjects are older Japanese cars there is plenty of scope for corrosion (as the past/present owner of numerous 1:1 Datsuns, Toyotas etc I can say that!).