Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Holy Grail" Models?

21 hours ago, Pete J. said:

I finally found one of these and paided stupid money for it.  I wanted to make my first car which was a 69 notch back(aka coupe).  This kit has the option  to build a stock version.  Apparently Revell reconfigured the mold to make the later fastback so it has never been reissued.  

Boxart '69 Mustang 1261 Revell

I heard it met its demise to make this beauty! I can bring my glue bomb in at the next meeting, whenever that might be, and we can compare them to see if it is true. 

This pic is off the web, mine is a total glue bomb

revell-boss-mustang-funny-car-unbuilt_1_0ce53651755e12d978b67feea85f8563.jpg

I'm surprised I haven't commented here already, I have a few Grail kits I don't ever expect to get because the prices are just to high on them, mostly AMC Rebel Machine, SC/Scrambler, Marlin and a couple of different Javelin/AMX kits. Highest on my list though is a Unibody early 60's Ford PU I've been wanting to duplicate my father in-laws truck for years and can never find that kit in a price range I can afford.

AMT-08-133-2.jpg.ac291cf826a57be8111200966b075b21.jpg

I also Have a couple I will probably find someday because they are not as hard to find but kits from my youth I would love to build again and one that is just a match to my Ford Van

Monogram 70 Boss 429 Mustang

Monogram 69 Pontiac GTO

Monogram 70 Dodge Challenger T/A (molded in metal glow red)

MPC Pinto Pony Express

And Monogram 71 Hemi Cuda

I have most of mine. I just recently acquired a mint Jeepster. 100% complete down to the decals. Sadly, it's the Safari version with no tops at all. Luckily, I have a half top and a convertible top to go with it. Next on my list is a '67 or '68 Cougar. I have most of a '68. But, I want a decent complete kit or rebuilder.

4 hours ago, SCRWDRVR said:

I'm surprised I haven't commented here already, I have a few Grail kits I don't ever expect to get because the prices are just to high on them, mostly AMC Rebel Machine, SC/Scrambler, Marlin and a couple of different Javelin/AMX kits. Highest on my list though is a Unibody early 60's Ford PU I've been wanting to duplicate my father in-laws truck for years and can never find that kit in a price range I can afford.

AMT-08-133-2.jpg.ac291cf826a57be8111200966b075b21.jpg

Be patient and you'll get one. I went years without one and in one month I scored three. One '61 and two '62s all for less than $50 each shipped. I scored both '62s in the same week. One was a mess and the other was a mint-ish salesman award with gold plating. It stripped clean as new. 

4 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

Be patient and you'll get one. I went years without one and in one month I scored three. One '61 and two '62s all for less than $50 each shipped. I scored both '62s in the same week. One was a mess and the other was a mint-ish salesman award with gold plating. It stripped clean as new. 

Thanks for the vote of confidence but I'm really not expecting it they are kits getting harder and harder to find and the price keeps going up on them.

Every time I think I have everything I want, something else crops up. This week I received a '62 Plymouth Fury that I didn't know I wanted until I saw a Beverly Hillbillies episode and had to have Miss Jane's car.

I always thought your "Holy Grail Kit" was that one and only kit that would make your life complete.   Not a whole list of fairly easy to find kits!

I can say I don't have a Holy Grail Kit.  I've been in this hobby as an adult for 30 years and have been fortunate to have most of what I'd like to own.  Yes, much of it needs to be restored or built,  but I have it!

What I would have considered my "Holy Grail Kit" was achieved about 10 years ago.

image.png.e11fc724e51f56a63d9a46595e3ef86a.png

image.png.5bb41af29e8c18ccf73467aab04d6d52.png

This is the AMT '66 Valiant promotional model.  I had seen them come up for sale several times, and wasn't in a good financial position to buy at those times.  Finally I saw this one at a reasonable price, and although the timing wasn't perfect,  I hit that "Buy It Now" button because I knew I wouldn't see one again anytime soon.  I believe I paid $350 for it.

This was the last of the AMT Valiants.  Note that for this generation two Valiant there was a promo and then a Craftsman kit for the 1963, 1964 and 1965 cars.  The 1966 promo was created and exists in several different colors, but I don't believe they were ever distributed.  Take a look at the roof line, it's completely wrong at the rear/ That's not the shape of the real car's back window.  Most of the copies I've known came from Chrysler employee collections.  So my theory is that AMT sent the initial batch to Chrysler and the issue was noticed.   I think the entire run was destroyed.  So it's very rare!  Maybe the rarest Mopar promo!

I also have a theory about what happened to the tool.  I believe it became the Fireball 500 kit.  Why? Because people thought the Fireball 500 kit was produced from the 1966 Barracuda body.  Then the Hemi Under Glass kit showed up!   So we know that body is still intact.  

And since I acquired this, I obtained two copies of a resin kit done by Missing Link Resins (if I remember who correctly!)

My grail kits kind of evolve as time goes on, but one that I never thought that I would likely ever find, is the one about to emerge from my bench very soon.

The Johan 1968 Oldsmobile 442.

This is a kit that I almost never see anywhere, and never really thought that I would be able to find, or afford, in restorable condition, but thanks to a trade with fellow forum member, Claes Ericsson, I now have one that will grace my finished build collection very soon!

image.jpeg.50239a95e1e208fec3af26b1e5f3a2a1.jpeg

image.jpeg.542f98d6c8c3dc66ef02a4fc4ee30ed3.jpeg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

6 hours ago, 58 Impala said:

This is my Holy Grail if I could find one and not mortgage my house

60AC2AB6-8E39-46B0-8BB6-24D5970BF671.png

I've had that kit for years. But, I can't think of a style to build it as besides a Donk. Kinda like a dog chasing a car. Don't know what to do with it now that I caught it. 

7 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I've had that kit for years. But, I can't think of a style to build it as besides a Donk. Kinda like a dog chasing a car. Don't know what to do with it now that I caught it. 

I was going to say that you could send it to me, but then I realized that I would probably wind up in the same predicament as you! :P

Understandably, it's a very rare kit, but I can think of a lot of other things that I would rather have.

Steve

16 hours ago, 58 Impala said:

This is my Holy Grail if I could find one and not mortgage my house

60AC2AB6-8E39-46B0-8BB6-24D5970BF671.png

Interesting looking kit. Is it the model year, 1971, or the build options that is the big draw for you ? The reason I ask is that AMT offered one of their 3 in 1 kits of a '70 Impala but without the "Sprint Car Wing" . 

On 11/2/2017 at 4:49 PM, Exotics_Builder said:

Got those in my stash as I was lucky enough to get when issued.  Have a lot of what I want already.  What I would like to get is the AMT Open Road Mini Motor Home.

Image result for amt open road camper van

Ferrari 05.JPG

I have one of the AMT open road campers if you are still looking for one. I was just looking thru this thread and noticed you were looking for one, the one I just recently got has an issue with the body but is unbuilt and in painted. If you are still looking pm me and maybe we could work out a trade!

On 3/16/2020 at 5:00 AM, jchrisf said:

Mine would be this one

10028620.jpg

Sorry, have to ask why this kit.  I know some Tamiya kits are scarce, such as the Volvo BTCC, Honda Civic and CRX.  Since I'm in this topic, the C-111 has been a holy grail, managed to acquire the out-of-business brand kit that is really horrid with motorized setup that ruined the interior, and no engine.

IMG_6625_Fotor.jpg

On 11/5/2017 at 12:02 PM, Atmobil said:

[...] Dodge [...]

I want kits of so many cars that there are no kits of such as a 60s Mercedes Benz 190 or 200 sedan

MercedesW110boxart.jpg
I made this fake boxart some years ago.

[...]

When my dad was a Park Ranger at Saguaro N.M. in the 70s, patrol truck was a Dodge, that same green!

Since Photo****it link is dead, you able to post that picture?  I grew up with a 190 sedan, picture was taken before I was born, and before moving from Zion (Utah plate).  I sure hope the kit looks better than the box art. ?  Think this qualifies for Holy Grail.

itc-mercedesbenz.JPG

8943505737_4dcc51074e_o.jpg

Oh I have a couple, and they're not exactly RARE kits comparatively speaking but they haven't been easy for me to attain, either. 

Tamiya Morgan Plus Four
Gunze Sangyo Hi-Tech Lotus Elan coupe
Italeri Ferrari 250GT SWB
Gunze Sangyo Hi-Tech Austin Healey Sprite
Fujimi Ferrari 250GTO

8 hours ago, espo said:

Interesting looking kit. Is it the model year, 1971, or the build options that is the big draw for you ? The reason I ask is that AMT offered one of their 3 in 1 kits of a '70 Impala but without the "Sprint Car Wing" . 

It was a '71 thing I guess. MPC did the Camaro and Vega with the same crazy parts. I doubt many builders want them for that reason. MPC named them "spoof" parts. 

7 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

It was a '71 thing I guess. MPC did the Camaro and Vega with the same crazy parts. I doubt many builders want them for that reason. MPC named them "spoof" parts. 

Also the Duster, Challenger, Chevelle and Jeepster ,, did we miss any? 

The Cuda had some funky tall stacks stick'n through the shaker scoop opening but it wasn't nearly as wild as the others. 

I understand some of those kits still had the parts into '72 but not mentioned on the box.