Model Cars Magazine Forum

33 minutes ago, espo said:

Sure pays to take good care of an Automobile. Many used to POPO these cars, but I would disagree. My wife's '12 Dodge Avenger RT was at 98K when we traded it on her '22 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk.  The only repair in that time was a leaky A/C fitting that was at about 75K miles. Nothing but regular maintenance and one set of tires and brakes. 

This has been a fantastic car, though it has acquired a few repairs and minor mods over the years, but upgrading the brakes and tires fixed the only real complaints l’ve had about the platform.

Finally have this one on the road.  I have had it almost a year and it has been in and out of shops, most of the time was spent in a body shop. I think I may have been expecting a bit too much in the power department, especially when compared to my 5.0 F-150.

20240101_104346.jpg

20240101_104403.jpg

20220403_114610.jpg

Edited by TarheelRick
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

Finally have this one on the road.  I have had it almost a year and it has been in and out of shops, most of the time was spent in a body shop. I think I may have been expecting a bit too much in the power department, especially when compared to my 5.0 F-150.

20240101_104346.jpg

20240101_104403.jpg

20220403_114610.jpg

Are the Bradford Pears already blooming there? I didn’t even start trimming stuff yet. I am waaaay behind. Pinto came out nice

4 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

The F-150 photo was made shortly after I bought it in 2022, the Pinto pictures were just a couple of months ago when I finally got it back from the body shop.

I  always liked a pinto since I had a 76..

• 2 weeks later...

A 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix Model-J that I've owned since I was 18 years old in 1980.

Needs cosmetics, but runs like a champ!

spacer.png

spacer.png

The hood on this beast is approaching the length of my wife's Honda S-2000! :D

spacer.png

Just for some perspective of how long I've owned this car, here is an old photo of me in a tux, standing next to my "get away" car at my wedding in 1987! ;)

spacer.png

Steve

• Like 8

A beat up ( cosmeticly) 1996 Dodge 2500 pick-up. Mechanically she's fit as a fiddle. 240, 000 miles on her, but I try to stay on top of maintenance because she's our material hauler. So far I have replaced a head gasket, clutch, and 2 years ago I replaced the transmission. The only time I had to take her to a mechanic was for the alignment. ( I don't have the knowledge to figure that out by myself... as evidenced  by the odd tirewear that occurred after I "eyeballed" it )

And a very tired 2004 Suzuki grand vitara. ( 257,000 miles on the clock.)

Edited by Little Timmy
Typo

On 2/4/2024 at 1:53 PM, TarheelRick said:

I think I may have been expecting a bit too much in the power department

Time for a small block V8 swap! Nice looking Pinto. I had a 1980 for awhile. It leaked fluids from every system. I swear that car would run with no oil or water in it. I tried my best to kill it...

• Haha 1

Well... I bought another project. :) 

FYI - This is my first El Camino. Maybe my last based on old age and disposition. I realize 4th generation cars are not everyone's cup of tea. Not my favorite years either. However, prices for these are still reasonable compared to other gens. Also, this one has a lot going for it mechanically speaking. Relatively rust free too. Those wheels are being repainted for the time being and will be replaced with something more to my taste later. Also an altitude adjustment and a few handling mods are already on the table. One thing I found out fast is there is not much aftermarket support for these years (73-77), so I'll need to be a bit creative for some things. But I wanted a light project and driver rather than a garage queen.

00f0f_4l8xs7cFhnx_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Edited by redscampi
  • Like 7

Have owned a few El Caminos at different times in the past. I really mis them and wish GM would have imported the Manero Ute before the dumped the Pontiac line along with their Holden family. I already had the Pontiac dealer who sold me my '05 GTO ready to order me a Ute and take my GTO in trade before that all happened.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I drive a new Volvo XC90 now, and I really like it way more than the VW Touareg I used to have. It was great for my "drive around the countryside all day" job, but the XC90 just feels more luxurious for the city, too, and the ride is very smooth. It's also got all these tech features that work very well for automated cruising when I'm stuck in traffic. I ended up selling the Touareg at an auction, btw, which was the better choice for getting a fair price as quickly as possible so I could fund the Volvo. You can look through https://carauctionsusa.net/car-auctions/dealers/ to see for yourself why it's less hassle than trying to sell it yourself online or dealing with loads of buyers. Anyway, I respect both cars, but I certainly prefer my new one.