Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

29 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

There are 1/32 104s available. I think there might be 100s and 105s, too, but don't think I've ever seen a 102 or 106. 

Right, the -102, -106 and -101 Voodoo have never been done yet, not as injection molded kits anyway, whereas the rest of the Century series has been. I have a real "thing" for the -102 though, and strongly suspect we may well see one in the next couple of years.

These came today. The Lincoln was painted blue and partially built. It's in the purple pond. I sold the Premier Futura and for some reason wanted one of the Revell's kit. And the 1930 Ford I need for a few parts from the kit. That too was started. But the parts I need for the missing/broken pieces for my Yellow Jacket are untouched. Buzzz.

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I bought this off of eBay the other day for $10 and free shipping. From the pictures it appeared to be all there. I thought for that price I couldn't pass it up. Not a highly detailed stellar kit but they turn out pretty nice. Why not? I got a message saying it had been delivered to about two minutes after my home security camera dinged to say someone was at the door. I guess when I get home I'll see what I got for my $10.

The second photo is my build of a later issue of this same kit. Hence, my reason for confidence in what I was getting.

Later-

Screenshot_20200221-133244.png

IMG_20180119_092959816.jpg

I've been accumulating these odd balls for a while . I had the Darracq when I was a kid. I think it did not go together well. Getting nostalgic, I found it at the NNL swap meet for only 10 bucks. The rest came from e-bay. 

I was hoping to finish the set tonight with a bid on a set of several 1/32 cars that included the Piping Hot bid, but I forgot and went for a walk (During which, some girl in a lexus almost hit me while she was texting!). Someone snagged the set for a good price. (If it's anyone here and they want to sell the Piping Hot for a reasonable price, I'll buy) Otherwise I'll keep looking for ones that are reasonably priced. I think these would make fun slump busters.

Scott

IMG_2109-vi.jpg

Edited by Scott Colmer

I got my order from http://www.fireballmodelworks.com/auto_main.html awhile ago and finally got time to open everything up. The quality is SUPERB!! I got quite a variety of items and love them all. The carbs are so nice I am going to use them in my upcoming diaorama. They are TOO nice to be covered up by an air cleaner. The Pontiac rally wheels are likely going to test my skillset but they will hopefully turn out nice. Check out the pic.

IMG_1253.JPG

3 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Scott, the Lanchester, Rolls Royce and Darracq kits look like the old Airfix ones that were sold as bagged lots say back in the 50''s.

That's exactly what they are. MPC and Airfix partnered for a while, back in the 1970s.  According to somebody on this board, the 1904 Darracq is closer to 1/25 scale than 1/32.  For anyone who wants to hot-rod it. ?  

During that partnership, MPC also did 3-in-1 customizing kits of Airfix 1/72 scale aircraft.  I'll pick those up when I find them cheap.  I like the box art and the nostalgia factor.

MPC_b29.jpg

Edited by Mike999
goof

Having looked originally at the MPC Rolls Royce, Darracq and Lanchester on a small tablet I could not make out that they were customisable kits. Although Airfix and MPC had dealings, the original Airfix kits were not custom cars.

Do not know if MPC used the Airfix kits and stuck custom goodies in the box or not, or whether they were totally different kits altogether.

4 hours ago, Mike999 said:

During that partnership, MPC also did 3-in-1 customizing kits of Airfix 1/72 scale aircraft.  I'll pick those up when I find them cheap.  I like the box art and the nostalgia factor.

MPC_b29.jpg

Very true, but that particular kit's not from the 3-in-1 customizing series, it's from the Profile series, which featured decals for three sets of markings illustrated in the popular Profiles monographs of the day. 

Got a few goodies in from Gofer Racing - I’d never seen any of their stuff in the ‘flesh’ but they had some cool stuff I was interested in!  

The hot rod gauges I’m not thrilled with - the detail is more fuzzy than the kit decals I wanted to replace, but the wood grain will be perfect for a project I had in mind!

5EECDEE5-145E-4A08-8603-6DA015C74578.jpeg

On 2/21/2020 at 1:47 PM, Modlbldr said:

I bought this off of eBay the other day for $10 and free shipping. From the pictures it appeared to be all there. I thought for that price I couldn't pass it up. Not a highly detailed stellar kit but they turn out pretty nice. Why not? I got a message saying it had been delivered to about two minutes after my home security camera dinged to say someone was at the door. I guess when I get home I'll see what I got for my $10.

The second photo is my build of a later issue of this same kit. Hence, my reason for confidence in what I was getting.

Later-

Screenshot_20200221-133244.png

IMG_20180119_092959816.jpg

I finally got around to unboxing the Tbird kit I bought and found that it is complete and unstarted- just a couple of pieces off of the trees. Again, I paid $10 with free shipping and it cost the seller $9.60 to ship! Great deal.

Later-

While I certainly didn't get these today (my father made regular trips to the dealers to collect brochures during the 50's and 60's and I now have all of them that I could find), I found it an odd coincidence to re-discover the '60 Thunderbird brochure in particular, as I just received the AMT 1:32 kit a few days ago. Pretty cool, really.

BKC2pB.jpg

1 hour ago, smellyfatdude said:

Snagged one of these, awhile ago from ePay. I'm robbing the camper goodies out of this, for my ' 73 Dodge van with extended roof, a replica of my aunt and uncles' rig.

ORC01.jpg

I found the camper pieces to be large and out of scale. That’s why I scratch built the cabinetry in my camper 

23 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Having looked originally at the MPC Rolls Royce, Darracq and Lanchester on a small tablet I could not make out that they were customisable kits. Although Airfix and MPC had dealings, the original Airfix kits were not custom cars.

Do not know if MPC used the Airfix kits and stuck custom goodies in the box or not, or whether they were totally different kits altogether.

MPC used the Airfix kits, with custom goodies in the box.  I've owned some of those MPC kits and still have the Darracq, along with some of the standard Airfix 1/32 kits.  The custom goodies are weird and out of scale, but MPC was also doing that with their 1/25 scale "Mild & Wild" kits at the time, circa 1971.

I still have some of the old, small-format Airfix magazines from the 1960s.  One builder kit-bashed the Airfix 1/32 Vauxhall Prince Henry with the Rolls town car, and came up with a pretty nice Vauxhall staff car of World War One.  Another project I'd like to do, some century... 

Got a few things during the week.
The pickup kits from a trade with a friend.

Dollar Tree purchases of LA Awesome and spoons for paint testing.

HL for some metal flake blue for the AMT 40 Willys coupe gasser I just started to build.

Lowes for some fine drywall sanding mesh. I use the fine mesh to speed up removal of body side trim. I also wrap a piece around a deep socket to smooth and round out wheel wells after they've been enlarged. The mesh is available in coarse, medium and fine. 

20200223_132900.jpg

20200223_133027.jpg

19 minutes ago, VW93 said:

HL for some metal flake blue for the AMT 40 Willys coupe gasser I just started to build.

Lowes for some fine drywall sanding mesh. I use the fine mesh to speed up removal of body side trim. I also wrap a piece around a deep socket to smooth and round out wheel wells after they've been enlarged. The mesh is available in coarse, medium and fine.

20200223_132900.jpg

I had just mentioned the Testors blue metalflake somewhere else here. I'm real surprised (and pleased) to see that it's still available after all these years. I was also wondering what the drywall screen was for, but now I know.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...