Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

My son picked these up for me at an estate sale he went to. He sends me this picture with "would you be happy if I gave you these for Christmas?(he already knew the answer to that" In short I told him yes, he said he got them for a very reasonable price and they are complete. One can never have too many of the Hubley kits, especially Model A's. 

387329029_1625923267815343_6593898481920351802_n.jpg

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, RSchnell said:

My son picked these up for me at an estate sale he went to. He sends me this picture with "would you be happy if I gave you these for Christmas?(he already knew the answer to that" In short I told him yes, he said he got them for a very reasonable price and they are complete. One can never have too many of the Hubley kits, especially Model A's. 

Nice present and son.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RSchnell said:

A great son!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RSchnell said:

My dad had at least five of those shown!  Us kids caught heck for playing with them like toys.  Interestingly, I have a photo somewhere showing all the gifts my mother and father received for their wedding in 1960.  In the array can be seen the 1930 Packard Sport Phaeton!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bill Eh? said:

I keep thinking about buying this kit, but I wish it had a full interior instead of the truncated one.

Yes Bill it does not have much of anything. It was an electric car model. Kind of like the tamiya can am McLaren. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brudda said:

Yes Bill it does not have much of anything. It was an electric car model. Kind of like the tamiya can am McLaren. 

That real Renault was awesome in a quirky kind of way. Excellent power to weight and handling. I kind of knew about that "motorized" Tamiya era, which was also present in their early 1/20th F-1 kits. I guess an insert with a drivers shoulders and head is kind of like what would be found in many early slot cars as well.

42 minutes ago, Bill Eh? said:

That real Renault was awesome in a quirky kind of way. Excellent power to weight and handling. I kind of knew about that "motorized" Tamiya era, which was also present in their early 1/20th F-1 kits. I guess an insert with a drivers shoulders and head is kind of like what would be found in many early slot cars as well.

have you seen the new ev concept, it looks really good imo and didn't do too bad on the goodwood hillclimb

mceu_14801747611663838865622.webp

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dpate said:

Got this stuff. Got the bel air just for the rims to use on the 88 ford mustang GT by AMT.

IMG_1979.thumb.jpeg.7ce778c369efb080fd1dfd0a3af67901.jpeg

Id love to find that bel air box withOUT the ollies sticker... ive got that same kit to and love it for it was one of my childhood kits i had as a kid

Got these today from a guy my buddy knows. All complete except for the Charger Daytona. It's just parts. 

I asked the guy what he wanted for them and he said that since the 62 Chrysler wasn't a high quality kit he was only asking $10 for it. I told him "No, it is worth more than that. I'll give you $30 for it." I felt bad only offering him that for it but I didn't have much on me and felt better not just taking it for $10. Got all of this for what I had in my wallet-$57.

Later-

20231218_210259.jpg

20231218_210616.jpg

20231218_210621.jpg

20231218_210625.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bill Eh? said:

Been playing with the R5. I’m going to build it. It’s simple but it looks cool. Here is a mock up

IMG_9636.jpeg

IMG_9635.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Brudda said:

Been playing with the R5. I’m going to build it. It’s simple but it looks cool. Here is a mock up

IMG_9636.jpeg

IMG_9635.jpeg

Looks good! I built the road car version a few years ago, went together nicely and a wheel swap worked well on it.

I don't remember anything particularly odd about the interior - the rear was boxed-out to house the MR engine set-up, and Tamiya made use of it for the motor. It loses a bit of detail in not having the rear suspension detail, with just a metal rod axle, but it still looks fine on the shelf.

Saw one in action at a French hillclimb we were lucky to attend when on holiday last year:

Renault 5 Turbo

Renault 5 Turbo
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Modlbldr said:
4 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Got these today from a guy my buddy knows. All complete except for the Charger Daytona. It's just parts. 

I asked the guy what he wanted for them and he said that since the 62 Chrysler wasn't a high quality kit he was only asking $10 for it. I told him "No, it is worth more than that. I'll give you $30 for it." I felt bad only offering him that for it but I didn't have much on me and felt better not just taking it for $10. Got all of this for what I had in my wallet-$57.

Later-

20231218_210259.jpg

20231218_210616.jpg

20231218_210621.jpg

20231218_210625.jpg

Good for you for not taking advantage of the guy. Nice score!

Edited by redscampi
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, bandit1 said:

Id love to find that bel air box withOUT the ollies sticker... ive got that same kit to and love it for it was one of my childhood kits i had as a kid

I knew I had one and went looking for it. Same kit, but not that box. Mine's the version that came with glue and paints and so forth in the box. Must have been some special Christmas edition of some sort--the box has Hallmark mentions on it, and a price tag from a local book & card shop that's been closed for about 20 years or more now....